News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This city started going to shit as soon as you Catholics got the vote...

Ah, but I'm an olio of faiths four grandparents, four different paths there is Methodist, Calvinist, Catholic, Jewish...throw 'em up in the air and what do you get a nonpractising Jew....
What makes it even more convoluted is my mother's parents came across the pond under the auspices of the Salavation Army who are clearly Wesleyan...

Last edited:
Or how about the fact that the 394,000 votes John Tory received are the second-highest vote total for an elected official in Canadian history, at any level of government (excluding non-binding Senate nomination votes). Only Mel Lastman in 2000 received more.

Yeah, but the growth in population over each four years means (IMO) that percentages are a more meaningful method of comparison.

For example:

Rob Ford 2010
383,511 votes
47.11% of total votes (813,984)
Rob's margin of victory over Smitherman - approx. 25%

Doug Ford 2014
330,652 votes
33.7% of total votes (980,177)
Tory's margin of victory over Doug - approx. 18%

Doug received approx. 14% less than Rob by vote count but
approx. 28% less than Rob by percentage of total votes

Considering how often she hears the word "fuck" in her home (probably dozens of times a day), I'm impressed that she didn't say it and said "Eff" instead. Surely Renata is a lock for mother of the year! ;)

Not I, it was always explained to me as a child that if I must use language then there was acceptable language for me to use.

Caroline Lord: What's this?
[holds up a weird silver object]

Mrs. Lord: I don't know dear.

Caroline Lord: It stinks.

Mrs. Lord: Caroline, don't say stinks. If absolutely necessary, smells, but only if absolutely necessary.

Yeah, but the growth in population over each four years means (IMO) that percentages are a more meaningful method of comparison.

For example:

Rob Ford 2010
383,511 votes

Doug Ford 2014
330,652 votes

Pud, thanks very much for that. Can you give me a link to the source of those statistics?

By that I mean, was it a single source I can link to, or did you work with various?

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 11.12.23 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 11.12.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 11.12.23 AM.png
    258.2 KB · Views: 619

For example:

Rob Ford 2010
383,511 votes

Doug Ford 2014
330,652 votes

I am wondering how Doug is going to be disingenuous with the results to crow about something or other.

In the 2003 election Miller won with 299385 votes against Tory. After putting a few dots together, he might say that he is more popular than Miller ever was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_municipal_election,_2003

It is also interesting that Tory was more popular in the areas that Ford did well in this year, that is positive for Tory being able to reduce the division in City Hall.

Pud, thanks very much for that. Can you give me a link to the source of those statistics?

By that I mean, was it a single source I can link to, or did you work with various?

Two different sources, both Wikipedia (Toronto Mayoral Election 2010; ditto 2014), plus a calculator (to work out the percentages, except % of popular vote which is stated in the sources).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_mayoral_election,_2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_mayoral_election,_2014

I am wondering how Doug is going to be disingenuous with the results to crow about something or other.

In the 2003 election Miller won with 299385 votes against Tory. After putting a few dots together, he might say that he is more popular than Miller ever was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_municipal_election,_2003

It is also interesting that Tory was more popular in the areas that Ford did well in this year, that is positive for Tory being able to reduce the division in City Hall.

This again shows why (IMO) percentages are more revealing.

Miller received 40.28% of the total votes, to Tory's 33.73%. So Miller's margin of victory over Tory, approx. 16%, was slightly smaller than Tory's approx. 18% margin of victory over Doug.

ETA: In other words, by percentage, Doug lost to Tory by roughly the same margin that Tory lost to Miller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back