8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rexdale youths' tech dreams given hope
Humber College is donating the room space and the rest of the expenses are coming out of pocket from project co-founders Andray Domise and Samuel Allemang.

“Because getting jobs is a huge problem in Rexdale — our unemployment is consistently about 2% to 3% higher — there’s a huge chance to bring tech out here but there’s just never been any program to pull it all together,” Domise said.
[...]
The course is open to those 14 to 18 to allow instructors to work with kids in high school or heading to post-secondary, but they’re hoping to open the class to younger and more kids in the next year.

The organizers are looking to set up a field trip with a tech company to give the kids an inside look of the industry. Anyone who wishes to sign up can e-mail 1up@techsdale.ca
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/16/rexdale-youths-tech-dreams-given-hope

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.59.26 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.59.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.59.26 AM.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 528
Just an observation, but Doug's "camp day" would have brought some noted diversity to the area. One thing I notice when we go to the cottage is how whitewashed it is, so to speak. Rexdale is much more diverse, to say the least.

One of my bosses has his cottage on the same lake as the Ford family compound and drives by it.

Whooping for joy - Andray committed to doing this during last fall's campaign and I'm so happy to see he's been able to come through. Not that I ever doubted him. He and Samuel deserve a huge pat on the back for getting this up and running.

Compare and contrast Andray's Techsdale initiative with Doug's half-day at El Rauncho Grande.

On a similar note, I wonder how Doug Ford's basketball program is going. Think he bothers? It was probably pretty time consuming for what was probably just a political stunt to look like a humanitarian.

On a similar note, I wonder how Doug Ford's basketball program is going. Think he bothers? It was probably pretty time consuming for what was probably just a political stunt to look like a humanitarian.

One finds it hard to imagine that he would have shown up again after the initial photo op.

One finds it hard to imagine that he would have shown up again after the initial photo op.
For sure! It starts up again in the fall. Let's see if it's still going. I could see him having guys run it for him and then when there's a photo op he shows up.

For sure! It starts up again in the fall. Let's see if it's still going. I could see him having guys run it for him and then when there's a photo op he shows up.

It seems that Massoudi was "voluntarily" helping out at the time of the photo op. Doug Jr no longer has any City Hall staff and Rob's down to only four, so...

Last edited:
Did a quick perusal of Trust 15. Marcia Brown founded the group in 2011 and got a Rev Can Charitable registration on April 1/2014. No financial reports posted yet.

So I went back to their webpage. Lovely pics of dressing up for a High Tea event and fancy fundraisers. Also a tour of City Hall by John Tory who let them sit in councilors' chairs tho I don't suppose they debated carding. The mayor seems very supportive of them and I expect a reference letter or character reference from him may be very helpful one day. Maybe election canvassing might be the next step in their political education. Maybe he's also suggested the Ladies take up golf.

As well as Doug and Randy Ford, Vince Chrisanti has given them a shoutout. Deputy Chief Sloly, Pinball Clemens, and the TD Bank seem very involved. They also mention involvement with the Catholic School Board and the Seventh Day Adventists.

I believe this is a civic action organization to watch.

all i can find is the announcement of its launch, and then one line from oct. 2014...
In 2012, the elder Ford did start a basketball program for youth at a TCHC complex on Queen’s Plate Dr. in Rexdale — as he says: “to make sure they have a mentor.”
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s_on_robs_coattails_in_community_housing.html

no mention of how it and its youth are doing... games they played... etc.

all i can find is the announcement of its launch, and then one line from oct. 2014...

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s_on_robs_coattails_in_community_housing.html

no mention of how it and its youth are doing... games they played... etc.

According to the tweet below, Doug has a significantly shorter run with youth basketball than the "White Shadow" did in the 80's
Andray ‏@AndrayDomise Aug 13
That basketball team? It was his council staffers bringing pizza and watching the kids play. Within 6 months, they stopped coming altogether

According to the tweet below, Doug has a significantly shorter run with youth basketball than the "White Shadow" did in the 80's
Andray ‏@AndrayDomise Aug 13
That basketball team? It was his council staffers bringing pizza and watching the kids play. Within 6 months, they stopped coming altogether

This time last year, when I was volunteering with Andray's campaign, we did some research into Doug's Pinocchio moments and the Ford Walk of Shame in Ward 2. We made a Ward 2 map of Ford underachievement. Here's my write-up of our findings on the "Rexdale Raiders" basketball team:

"Doug Fakes a Shot

Date: Fall 2012

Blurb: “I started a basketball team,” Doug boasted last month. Let’s be clear: he handed out jerseys and used kids to get a photo op.

Background:

In October 2012, around the time Rob’s conflict of interest decision was due to be handed down, Doug suddenly announced that he’d started a basketball team. Kids had been playing pick-up during the summer at the Ascot Coop. Doug showed up with “Rexdale Raiders” jerseys for 40 kids and apparently provided some coaching. His executive assistant, city employee Amin Massoudi, was also helping to coach “on his own time”. Doug said: “In a perfect world, they’ll attract a corporate sponsor and get programs at other TCHC buildings.”

Doug touted this basketball team as evidence of his community chops during the mayoral candidates’ debate on September 23. Andray got in touch with the Co-op program director, who explained that there was no Rexdale Raiders basketball team: the program had consisted of pick-up basketball, one day a week, and lasted about three months. Doug had showed up to hand out jerseys and pizza but no team or league was formed and no games were played.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/10/10/doug_ford_launches_rexdale_raiders_basketball_team.html"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back