News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still laughing at the headline "Fords lend political muscle to Harper ". Does anybody know *anyone* who was impressed by Harper once he announced his Ford cuddle-up?

Harper must've known he was toast for a while now--internal polls are known to be very accurate. So what was the point of the last minute campaigning with the Fords? Maybe he was trying to set Dougie up for a future leadership run because he knew he'd be stepping down?

Any possibility that Harper already knew from poll numbers that he was going to tank, so associating with the Fords wasn't to get support (FN wasn't going to vote Lib or ndp anyhow), but to send a big Eff You to Toronto, Liberals and Red Tories alike?

To me, that makes more sense than the "grasping at straws" theory. Harper has shown himself to be that vindictive before

The CPC knew for many weeks that Harper is despised, even by many "conservatives".

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal...tephen-harper-would-not-seek-re-election.html

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.40.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.39.25 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.40.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.40.16 AM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.39.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.39.25 AM.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 495
The Ford endorsement record is something for sure...

Indeed. Let's recap Monday night, shall we? The supposed Ford strongholds of Etobicoke and Scarborough went overwhelmingly to the Liberals, Ford Nemesis Bill Blair was easily elected, as was Adam Vaughn after Rofo publicly brayed that he'd vote for Olivia Chow over him. I see why people think our local sports teams have a tendency to lose whenever Slobbo shows up to cheer them on. He's the Kiss of Death!

Indeed. Let's recap Monday night, shall we? The supposed Ford strongholds of Etobicoke and Scarborough went overwhelmingly to the Liberals, Ford Nemesis Bill Blair was easily elected, as was Adam Vaughn after Rofo publicly brayed that he'd vote for Olivia Chow over him. I see why people think our local sports teams have a tendency to lose whenever Slobbo shows up to cheer them on. He's the Kiss of Death!

I am not sure why the party apparatus thought that he was such a draw in the first place, considering the results of the provincial election in 2014 against a provincial leader that's even more viscerally unpopular - those very ridings still went red in the provincial election. If anything Fo's influence has gone down even further since then.

AoD

Last edited:
Harper must've known he was toast for a while now--internal polls are known to be very accurate. So what was the point of the last minute campaigning with the Fords? Maybe he was trying to set Dougie up for a future leadership run because he knew he'd be stepping down?
The internal polls would have polled their party members, so they would have known some were thinking about just staying home. It was as the campaign wore on, and for a variety of specific issues, that they were starting to think ABC. Of those upset enough to vote against Harper they hadn't decided where to park their ballots. A lot of people waited until the very last minute to decide. Like Jimmi's parents, for many of them it was the FordFest pandering after mcleans' Towhey revelations that decided it.

Steve was as likely to shoot the bad news messengers - his ego has always dictated that all but the true believers be hidden from view or thrown under the bus. I can't understand why he'd listen to Jenni Byrne.who had failed miserably on other files, notably the Senate scandals.

Harper's a true believer, in himself. Reality doesn't come into play with him. On election night he said the responsibility for the loss was his, then blamed the crumbling of the NDP vote. .I expect that Harper fully intends to stay on behind the scenes controlling the party at least until the new leader is chosen. I firmly believe DoFo will not be a contender.

Ford's tweet regarding the Jays and Obama was so childish. WTF does Obama have to do with the Jays? He's a White Sox fan, not a Royals fan.

Hmmm. It's pretty much established that Harper loathes the Fords, though, isn't it? (The two jackasses' not infrequent speculations about Dofo taking over as Federal Party leader once Harpo was out of the picture, however based in fantasy they may have been, weren't exactly designed as something to endear them to a notoriously vindictive bastard like Harper, after all.) So if there's anything to this theory, what would Harpo's motivation be?

I can see him being genuinely nasty enough to want to leave things in incompetent hands as an unspoken "Fuck you!" to a political party that no longer had any use for him; like I said, the man's vindictive as hell, and whatever the circumstances of him finally stepping down were, I think we all knew he wouldn't be leaving voluntarily. Also, with somebody like Thug taking over, there's no way Harper wouldn't look better by comparison, much in the way that Richard Nixon looks almost good compared to some of the Republican Presidents that followed him.

I can see him being genuinely nasty enough to want to leave things in incompetent hands as an unspoken "Fuck you!" to a political party that no longer had any use for him; like I said, the man's vindictive as hell, and whatever the circumstances of him finally stepping down were, I think we all knew he wouldn't be leaving voluntarily. Also, with somebody like Thug taking over, there's no way Harper wouldn't look better by comparison, much in the way that Richard Nixon looks almost good compared to some of the Republican Presidents that followed him.

Well. how about remembering that Steve's Cons started as a Western Party, that he has strongly identified himself with the oil and gas industry (has gotten a lot of campaign money from them and delivered a lot of benefits to them) and that this is the region where his true base is. I think he wants the party to remain true to that identity and affiliation. No butt-headed Ford from Toronto Ontario (Steve hates us) is going to inherit Steve's baby no matter how Old Stock our roots are. Steve wants Alberta back from Notly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back