8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Council meets next week.

The policy-and-procedures wonk in me is already looking forward to seeing how they choose to recognize Ford's passing and fill his vacant seat.

What I am not looking forward to is sitting through a bunch of self-serving speeches praising the man.

I'm glad that this thread is still a thing because it's a safe place to say how I actually feel.

I'm tired of all the shallow and insincere expressions of sadness and people's meaningless condolences in the news and on social media. I feel bad for Renata and the kids, but that's it.

I'm just glad he died quick instead of a weeks or months long vigil at Mount Sinai. I can't wait for the funeral to pass.

RIP Rob Ford

The haters got their wish...

Much as I find the "haters" tag childish - I think reasonable people can disagree with someone without being a 'hater' - I'll go ahead and speak on behalf of myself and probably lots of other 'haters' here.

This very much was not "my wish." My wish would be that Rob Ford have to face justice for some - hell, any - of his many transgressions of law, council policy, decorum, and basic decency. I had no wish that he would die. Honestly, I'd much rather he live to a ripe old age in sincere contrition for what he did wrong, and trying with the time he had left to make it right.

Even the language around the fighter one could do without - it debases the choice by someone not to fight it to its' logical conclusion as one that is somehow "lesser" in worth.

Eulogies tells one more about the individual writing and the society it was written in than the individual himself.

AoD
Agreed, I personally would have left that off, but I think he was trying to say something nice and that's as far as he could go. I've never been a big fan of the "lost the battle" with cancer terminology.

RIP Rob Ford. It's sad, especially with him having young kids. As a dad, that'd be the part that killed me the most--having my time with them cut short.

I've been critical of his antics but he was always really nice to me in person.

Agreed, I personally would have left that off, but I think he was trying to say something nice and that's as far as he could go. I've never been a big fan of the "lost the battle" with cancer terminology.

That fight metaphor gives me an absolute cringe - I have seen those fights first hand and sadly, a good number of them (i.e. majority) ended rather badly. People may mean well when they say it - but I don't think they are necessarily prepared for a full understanding of the horrors of what it meant.

AoD

Much as I find the "haters" tag childish - I think reasonable people can disagree with someone without being a 'hater' - I'll go ahead and speak on behalf of myself and probably lots of other 'haters' here.

This very much was not "my wish." My wish would be that Rob Ford have to face justice for some - hell, any - of his many transgressions of law, council policy, decorum, and basic decency. I had no wish that he would die. Honestly, I'd much rather he live to a ripe old age in sincere contrition for what he did wrong, and trying with the time he had left to make it right.

Yes, I would have preferred Ford having to face the consequences of his actions while in office. Barring that, it would have been fine with me if had disappeared into obscurity after losing the 2014 mayoral election.

Desmond Cole is really riling people up on Newstalk right now taking a critical view of Ford. People on the panel with him are seething with anger.

I lost two close relatives to cancer. They never smoked, drank, exercised, and ate healthy.

It is certainly possible to do everything right and still get cancer. However, the causal links between the vices that Rob Ford indulged in and cancer simply cannot be overlooked.

I also choose to believe that being an a$$hole increases your chances of getting cancer.

Having gone through it twice (as a teenager), I hate the fighter/survivor terminology, even if I accepted it in use because everyone uses it. It takes something away from the dignity of those who succumb, and 'survivor' is a label I don't like being given to me.

And there's very little anyone can do to reduce one's chances of cancer at that age.

It is certainly possible to do everything right and still get cancer. However, the causal links between the vices that Rob Ford indulged in and cancer simply cannot be overlooked.

I also choose to believe that being an a$$hole increases your chances of getting cancer.

Then a lot of ppl are in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back