News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't just Trudeau. Most world leaders have sided with their authoritarian government.
Other world leaders don't pretend they're trying to change the world. Hey Trudeau, it's 2016 isn't it? Why support a dictator and murderer?

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 19m19 minutes ago
Toronto city councillor and author John Filion is speaking in Cleveland on "the similarities between Ford Nation and Trump Nation."

Of course he would.

Other world leaders don't pretend they're trying to change the world. Hey Trudeau, it's 2016 isn't it? Why support a dictator and murderer?

You seem angry.

Last edited:
I remember when Rob Ford appeared at a CPC rally and Doug spoke. It looks rational compared to the RNC's lineup tonight.

Of course he would.

You seem angry.
I'm tired of a braindead, sound bite friendly PM. It's like Ford with better looks. Either you focus on leading a country or focus on SJW things by joining a non-profit.

It's 2015 so women in cabinet! Hey Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Thanks for being our ally. Here's some vehicles to kill your citizens with and good job on setting back women's rights by 500 years!

I'm tired of a braindead, sound bite friendly PM. It's like Ford with better looks. Either you focus on leading a country or focus on SJW things by joining a non-profit.

It's 2015 so women in cabinet! Hey Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Thanks for being our ally. Here's some vehicles to kill your citizens with and good job on setting back women's rights by 500 years!

Let's be fair here - no one in the right mind would go about even attempting to change the policies of another sovereign country with all the effectiveness of running head first into a brick wall - what are you going to do, rip up on existing, multi-billion dollar contract (where the greatest impact is in an economically depressed region) just to make a point that they're going to swat away just like flies? For all the talk about democracy and human rights, realpolitik is always the modus operandi for every government - unless you're Sweden (and even then...). You should be glad that he isn't doing the SJW thing for real - being a middle power certainly wouldn't enable it to much impact. He should pick his battles - this isn't one he can win.

As to focus on leading the country - CPP is done, Interprovincial trade agreement is on the way, Assisted Death is done - I'd say the government is probably ok in that regard.

AoD

Last edited:
Let's be fair here - no one in the right mind would go about even attempting to change the policies of another sovereign country with all the effectiveness of running head first into a brick wall - what are you going to do, rip up on existing, multi-billion dollar contract (where the greatest impact is in an economically depressed region) just to make a point that they're going to swat away just like flies? For all the talk about democracy and human rights, realpolitik is always the modus operandi for every government - unless you're Sweden (and even then...). You should be glad that he isn't doing the SJW thing for real - being a middle power certainly wouldn't enable it to much impact. He should pick his battles - this isn't one he can win.

As to focus on leading the country - CPP is done, Interprovincial trade agreement is on the way, Assisted Death is done - I'd say the government is probably ok in that regard.

AoD
Really? Doesn't seem to stop Canada from doing just that when it suits the government. Russian relations multi billion dollar contracts between bombardier and one of Russia's manufacturers etc. If Assad asks for some combat vehicles from southwest Ontario is it ok? Do we say sure? Hell it's pretty much the same locus of evil. One is just religious and the other secular.

I criticized Harper for his foreign file and hoped Trudeau would apply some of his father's politics. That is to act as an enabler between the traditional western world and the emerging world. Meanwhile it is similarly hawkish to Harper's and surprisingly antagonistic in key hot spot regions.

Anyway I digress from the thread but I don't accept your arguments. Sure he's done ok things as it pertains to Canada. But the international file is lopsided and doesn't gain the Canadian government any favours from emerging powers. The world is rapidly changing.

Really? Doesn't seem to stop Canada from doing just that when it suits the government. Russian relations multi billion dollar contracts between bombardier and one of Russia's manufacturers etc. If Assad asks for some combat vehicles from southwest Ontario is it ok? Do we say sure? Hell it's pretty much the same locus of evil. One is just religious and the other secular.

I criticized Harper for his foreign file and hoped Trudeau would apply some of his father's politics. That is to act as an enabler between the traditional western world and the emerging world. Meanwhile it is similarly hawkish to Harper's and surprisingly antagonistic in key hot spot regions.

Anyway I digress from the thread but I don't accept your arguments. Sure he's done ok things as it pertains to Canada. But the international file is lopsided and doesn't gain the Canadian government any favours from emerging powers. The world is rapidly changing.

Let's be realistic here - not to give the Saudis a particularly good name, but they definitely aren't at the Assad level of bad yet - and said emerging powers wouldn't give two hoots about human rights - they'd sell with the blink of an eye. It's super cynical, but I don't particularly feel that we should tie ourselves down with moral/ethical dilemmas for such low-level weaponry such as LAVs. Also don't forget Russia has been actively probing weakness in our intelligence system, messing with our Arctic airspace and making provocative claims for the Arctic seabed either. To build bridges you need to have willing partners - where's the quid pro quo so far? As to Turkey, if one doesn't even know the true goals of the coup plotters, it's hard to support them - it would be just as much as a farce to declare support and end up with a bunch of forces that is just as oppressive (not to mention the faux-pas that would be declaring support for the losers in internal strife). Far more prudent to let the chips land where they do and deal with it (e.g. Egypt) as it comes.

His father live in in many ways a far, far more predictable world than what we have now. You really can't count on some of the major actors in the current round of instability to act in rational, non-potentially suicidal ways. Perhaps the entire foreign policy focus at this current juncture is utmost importance placed on internal stability - that's a position of strength.

AoD

Last edited:
Agree to disagree.

Regarding Turkey, that was a faux-coup for Erdogan to solidify power. The Turkish military isn't stupid enough to launch a coup Friday at midnight when the streets are full. You do that on a Tuesday morning at 5am for full impact. You also immediately arrest the government. Military coup 101!

So, the by-election is in six days. Does anyone have predictions? The turnout will probably be fairly small.

"I cannot comment on a video that I have not seen or does not exist" -- Melania Trump
#FamousMelaniaTrumpQuotes

haha.gif

That was almost some Fo-Fam-level stuff last night.

Some of this Turkey and BLM discussion's getting a little off topic for this thread. (But the Trump coronation is another matter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back