News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem concerning that Doug Ford seems to be as much a pathological liar as his brother. Why would one even think to lie about something so minor as this?

From what I understand, they grew up with a very abusive father, which would suggest why they find it so easy lying. They probably lied all their lives, to avoid punishment.

I saw this piece on the news last night. He refused to apologize to "anarchists", which were members from Ontario Coalition Against Poverty that heckled the budget committee meeting.

Oh I don't really care about the apology - that's a distraction to the greater issue of the pattern of getting caught lying on the part of both brothers.

AoD

Oh I don't really care about the apology - that's a distraction to the greater issue of the pattern of getting caught lying on the part of both brothers.

AoD

Meh. I prefer being caught in a lie over the sophistry necessary to avoid it. Surplus budgets, tax increases in line with inflation, and all that.

The "get a job" remark by Doug Ford would be of benefit if the protesters' parents could get them jobs, like how the Ford brothers' father got them jobs in his company. But then there would be cries of nepotism should everyone did the same.

As much as I'm firmly in the anti-Ford camp, I find OCAP's actions more embarrassing than anything else.

The Fords' inclination to immediately deny everything -- to the point of blatantly lying -- when they're accused of wrongdoing is funny, though.

He actually would have done better not to deny it. I betcha most of his support wouldn't have been negatively affected in the least by standing by that statement. If anything, I suspect it would have strengthened his support.

How do you lose a couple-hundred pounds?

You make Rob Ford mayor.

From the Toronto Sun, at this link:

Rob Ford's hide and no speak: Granatstein

When Mayor Rob Ford announced the city had given notice to its union that it was starting the drive towards privatizing at least part of Toronto’s garbage pickup, he refused to answer any questions.

Naturally, his political opponents were left steaming over the lack of answers and transparency from Ford.

It’s a running theme with our new mayor.

If he answers questions, it’s only a few, before the Q&A is shut down.

It’s reached the point where the joke at City Hall is, how do you lose a couple-hundred pounds?

You make Rob Ford mayor.

Still, so Ford doesn’t answer many questions. So what?

That’s not an easy thing for someone in the media to write, but here’s why Ford not speaking often or answering many questions isn’t awful: He has nothing to say.

This city, especially the media, got very used to Mayor “Talkalot,†David Miller, during his two terms in office.

It was a solid relationship. Miller could speak on any subject and would make himself available — or, more accurately, put himself in the spotlight — whenever asked. His itinerary for each coming week was delivered to the media every Friday.

He never said anything really outlandish, but enough so newspapers, TV, radio, and bloggers had informed stories. He generally delivered the goods.

Playing nice with the media is a good strategy, but not mandatory.

By contrast, Ford doesn’t have Miller’s gift of the gab.

In fact, he has an uncanny ability to fall into traps set by the media and his political opponents.

Even when Ford tries to say something nice — remember his line about Orientals working like dogs, which he intended as a compliment — he gets himself into trouble.

By contrast, he stayed completely on message throughout the election campaign, answering every question and responding to every debating point with his pat answers about respect for taxpayers and stopping the gravy train.

In two editorial board meetings with the Toronto Sun, his advisors jumped in to answer questions for him — something we’d never seen before.

To me, it left him sounding ill-informed and unprepared for the job he was about to win.

That said, Ford’s job isn’t to be a cheerleader or effervescent. It’s to get the city moving in the direction he committed to in the election.

While some columnists in this city yearn for the equivalent of the impish, bubbly, kazoo-playing Naheed Nenshi of Calgary, who wowed Torontonians this past week with his upbeat, city-building message, not all mayors are or have to be cut from the same cloth.

Ford isn’t a charmer. In fact, there’s not much “there,†there. But is being the chief talker the job of the CEO, or elected chairman of a city?

Think about the best CEOs you’ve worked for. Do they know how many pencils every staffer uses? Probably not.

But the CEO does create the vision for where the company is going and how it will get there, relying on informed and skilled staff to work out the details.

So far, Ford and his team are working like that — checking off points on his campaign promise list, even while fighting among themselves behind the scenes.

Up front, Coun. Doug Ford, the mayor’s brother, speaks firmly and strongly for the mayor on a variety of issues.

Meanwhile, TTC Chairman Karen Stintz, and public works head Denzil Minnan-Wong are taking ownership of their portfolios and answering the media’s questions, while Ford’s itinerary is a closely held secret.

Ford is implementing his “vision†— if we dare use that word to describe something that shows so little of it — and he’s clearly directed city staff, who have worked hard to deliver what Ford wants.

That’s what a CEO should do.

Of course, as CEOs go, Ford isn’t much of a visionary. Indeed, he’s pretty pedestrian in his pledges to answer every phone call and check up on TTC workers to see if they’re sleeping on the job.

That said, talking to citizens is good customer service and excellent retail politics — the kind of stuff at which Ford excels.

Yes, there’s a clear strategy at play in the mayor’s office and it’s to hide the mayor of Canada’s biggest city. It’s not a sign of accountability by any stretch, but by putting his lieutenants forward he’s not shutting the city out.

It may not be traditional, but in this case it’s probably smart.

And, so far, it’s working.

rob.granatstein@sunmedia.ca Twitter: robedits

Rob Ford confounds his critics

Ever since he was elected mayor Oct. 25, Rob Ford’s critics have been predicting Armageddon at City Hall.

The reality has been the opposite.

Ford has kept his temper in check and crafted a coalition on council to get his agenda through.

Contrary to his history of not working well with others, he has delegated key responsibilities to council allies like Mike Del Grande (budget), Karen Stintz (TTC), and Denzil Minnan-Wong (public works).

If anything, it’s Ford’s political opponents on council and furious union leaders and screaming poverty activists, who have been “losing it,†not the mayor.

More...http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2011/02/11/17243946.html

“losing it,†they should have added fanatic anti-Ford forum members to this list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back