News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle Rae can definitely be classified as overweight (BMI of 25 or higher, but less than 30), but can he be classified obese (BMI 30 or higher) like Rob Ford? An overweight person would have much easier time as garbage collecter than obese person would.

At least Rob Ford has an easy time getting a tan. He just needs to get nervous and sweat a little, then his face has a nice rosey glow. He must also be contributing greatly to the deodorant industry. He must go through 3 or 4 shirts a day because of pit stains. And that's just during winter.

Mr. Ford told staff to reduce expenses by 5%.

The price of crude oil jumped today, Feb. 21, by 6%. In one day, it exceeded the requested year reduction percentage in the opposite direction.

From crude oil, one gets diesel fuel. Fuel for the fire trucks, garbage trucks, buses, service trucks, etc. From crude oil, one gets gasoline. Fuel for police cars, parking enforcement, by-law enforcement, etc. From crude oil, one gets asphalt. Asphalt to fix potholes, widen roads, utility cuts, road repair, etc.

How can one reduce expenses, if the expense itself is going UP not down? Hopefully, the jump in crude oil was only a blimp.

Oh come on, you're being an alarmist. Anyone who says that oil prices are going up are obviously making the problem bigger than it really is. Oil prices will definitely go down- 20 dollars a barrel at the end of the year, I swear!

Last edited:
Am I the only one who walks down Queen Street and thinks WTF?

This is a video I made of our neglected public realm. Sadly, nobody else in this city seems to give a crap. OK, is there something wrong with me? lol Oh well, I emailed this to Mr. Mayor and Adam Vaughan, in an attempt to motivate them to do something. After-all, Ford did promise to clean up postering and graffitti, when I spoke to him on the phone. He seemed very serious at the time but so far I see no difference. This was filmed on January 13, 2011.

If anybody knows how to get this video into the eyes of the public, please do it. I'm not very techno savvy, so I'm not sure what to do besides make videos and link them here. Does anybody else care about this or am I just making a big deal of nothing? I'm just curious what other people think. Seeing this all over the city just irks me because it's so easy to stop.

[video=youtube;lryLy_0wFDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lryLy_0wFDw[/video]

Honestly, I kind of love it :). Sometimes it's gets a little too much.

But on some streets it works well - seriously! i.e. I think it should stay put on Queen W - but if it were to happen on Bloor it'd need to be removed. But I think it works here! It really does.

Honestly, I kind of love it :). Sometimes it's gets a little too much.

But on some streets it works well - seriously! i.e. I think it should stay put on Queen W - but if it were to happen on Bloor it'd need to be removed. But I think it works here! It really does.

But it does happen on Bloor street, just not in the ritzy part but as soon as you go west of Queens Park, the posters are up. Hell, it's on almost every street in the core. Some of the BIAs keep their own strips clean. (like on Front Street, the St. Lawrence BIA has it removed right away) That proves to me, that it can be done, if some effiort is put into it.

I don't mind postering on Queen west of University. It gives the street the grittiness the same way the telephone(?) lines do.

Any postering east needs to be limited.

This is a video I made of our neglected public realm. Sadly, nobody else in this city seems to give a crap. OK, is there something wrong with me? lol Oh well, I emailed this to Mr. Mayor and Adam Vaughan, in an attempt to motivate them to do something. After-all, Ford did promise to clean up postering and graffitti, when I spoke to him on the phone. He seemed very serious at the time but so far I see no difference. This was filmed on January 13, 2011.

If anybody knows how to get this video into the eyes of the public, please do it. I'm not very techno savvy, so I'm not sure what to do besides make videos and link them here. Does anybody else care about this or am I just making a big deal of nothing? I'm just curious what other people think. Seeing this all over the city just irks me because it's so easy to stop.

I agree, though remember it's important (and constitutionally necessary) to have spaces dedicated to postering. Some sort of standard needs to be set up as to where a poster may be placed (perhaps only at intersections, for example), with street furniture specially designed for postering. Right now, it's more public realm sloppiness in already poorly maintained spaces. The redundant poles on Queen Street are another maintenance failure, and then there's the elephant in the room--the overhead wires.

A lot of people care, and many more would with some sort of campaign. You should also get a video of the posterings blown away a windy day, and chunks of posters lying on the ground after a rain. Many ordinary people who care don't know how to advance the issue in a meaningful way, though.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the whole postering thing. My pet peeve is the amount of posters for shit that happened ages ago. "Oh, look. DJ Tit-Monkey played at some club 3 months ago. Woohoo?" If the old ones were removed in something resembling a timely manor (or ever!!!) there'd be a lot less excess, and I'd have no real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back