News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best way to describe Toronto's amalgamation to non-Torontonians is to simply say that most of Old Toronto was built prior to WWII, and in 1998 it merged with all of its immediate post-war suburbs. That's why it feels like worlds collided.

Most of Manhattan's "suburbs" are actually as old or older than downtown Toronto.

This is a good discussion but it should be probably taken to another thread - maybe the one on Amalgamation?

Did you read the National Post article I linked?

Yes. Great article. I wondered why no reporter hadn't gone to the units in question. Yet, the police are still investigating Ford's connection to the Anthony Smith murder and how Rob Ford knew where the video was located. Knowing about the existence of this video and as David Price made clear, knowing that it could have been the motive for a murder and keeping that from police... yes, there's a case here. Let's see what detectives say tomorrow if there is in fact this press conference or they may just stop by City Hall to speak with staff and "take a look around".

On May 21, just a few days after the video scandal hit newsstands, a man was shot on the 17th floor of 320 Dixon Road. The same detectives who were reportedly tipped off by Mayor Ford’s staff about other illegal activities on the building’s 17th floor were dispatched to investigate, but police sources have since stated there is no link between the alleged video and the May 21 shooting.

The above struck me as very odd and it doesn't give me much confidence that Toronto Police can be trusted to investigate Rob Ford (not that I had much trust in TPS to begin with).

A few days after the scandal broke a shooting occurred outside the very same 17th. floor Dixon Road apartment that Rob Ford told his staff was where the video was being kept and Toronto Police say there is "no connection"?

Stop and think about that for a second!

Think about how huge a coincidence the shooting would have to be if it was not connected to the video!

Given the obvious conflicts of interest (Bill Blair is currently itching to get his multi-million dollar contract renewed) I think this investigation should be handed off to the OPP .

Last edited:
I figured it's more likely to end with Ford going up to the roof when he gets word that the cops are on their way to his office. But, like your scenario, not too likely.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... I almost want to go to bed early so it gets here faster! :D

honestly, do you think RF has the endurance to walk ALL the way up to the roof ?!?

Have patience. The cops are hot on the trail and reporters are ahead of them.

When I read the NP story and heard this guy who was just renting the place had seen the video, and others...well, it would seem this isn't that exclusive. With the Gawker money, and Star's rep, and overall curiosity/pandemonium on this. It seems something will show up publicly. Right? Right?

How can 5 staffers quit/be fired, and the mayor state "its business as normal.." that says to me that anarchy is normal, which scares me. this guy is a total idiot. I wish I was still in Toronto to see this guy finally get the punt. This whole thing is absolutely surreal, its the antithesis of Canadian Politics.

When I read the NP story and heard this guy who was just renting the place had seen the video, and others...well, it would seem this isn't that exclusive. With the Gawker money, and Star's rep, and overall curiosity/pandemonium on this. It seems something will show up publicly. Right? Right?

Something might show up but not necessarily publicly. What if Hanad Mohamed - the second guy arrested in the murder of Anthony Smith - had the iPhone with the video and it has now been seized by police? It could be years before the video would be shown to the public if ever. Even if back-up copies have been saved on remote servers the accused would have trouble accessing these files behind bars.

A thread contributor posted that one of his friends who are part of the TPS alluded to the presser having something to do with Rob Ford, the crack video and an attempted murder in Etobicoke.

Where was this? I remember someone saying their TPS person said "Watch the news tomorrow, if you know what I know you'd resign too". But to restate that it's a press conference about those three things, I dunno man, that's a bit of truth-stretching isn't it? Unless you're referring to something else?

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...lling_was_street_level_stuff_sources_say.html

The Toronto Star said:
In the weeks since the Star reported about a video of Mayor Rob Ford appearing to smoke crack cocaine — and published a picture of Ford alongside two victims of recent gun violence — speculation has run rampant that the mayor may be connected to a series of violent incidents in North Etobicoke.

That does not appear to be the case.

Most believe Smith was gunned down because of the group he was with and that he was not specifically targeted. His longtime friend, Muhammad Khattak, was also shot that night and survived.

Show that article to Doug and see if he will repeat his bit about it being impossible for anonymous sources to speak truthfully...

I've been watching this thread for a few days and it's now my main source of news on Ford. Thanks for staying on top of it, everyone.

My thoughts:
- I think it is unlikely that the police are investigating whether Rob Ford smokes crack. Their interest is likely only in the murders, so if they are not connected it will fall to the press to follow up on the crack smoking. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment from the Star, assuming there is one. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the story fizzles - of course Ford being Ford, there will be something else in a month or two. He'll remain Mayor for the rest of his term, and do a worse job than ever, but add up all the scandals and I doubt he'll be re-elected.

- One of the big issues in the last election was transit, and I remember that all candidates except Pantalone were promising to essentially kill Transit city. I know for myself, the craziness of the intervening years have made me realize: Transit City may not be perfect but there is no alternative. I wonder if others feel this way. I think the general craziness of Ford may have focused the minds of those who oppose him.

Last edited:
So looks like Ford and the video are not linked to the murder of Anthony Smith. I bet TPS' investigation is only related to the murders, and their interviews of Ford's people were only done in the context of information related to Anthony Smith.

The video needs to come out....

Perhaps we will be getting the video soon? Not exactly sure how to parse Robyn Doolittle's tweet

"The National Post's must-read: man living in apt 1703 says he's seen Ford crack video. #slurpy (you'll get it soon)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back