News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
- FOI Takes a while to take effect, I wouldn't expect to see the contents of the emails for a couple of months, no?

They must provide the records and/or a reason for any claimed exemptions under the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act within 30 days unless they request a time extension from the Information & Privacy Commissioner.

From my experience dealing with the Ministry of Natural Resources though, there are a lot of BS exemptions claimed quite frequently which I had to then argue against in mediation…

Not quite.
Oops. But still not much to get excited about.

the Fact that she wrote (you'll get it soon) is what makes it difficult to parse, because it came after the hashtag but in the context of the crack video.
The challenges of 160 characters. Sadly, not everything is a hint of more drama to come.

Though I suspect there is still more drama to come.

Last edited:
Not really, the Cons are embroiled in their own ethical missteps and Flaherty is pretty absent of late, due to health issues of his own.

AoD

... except that he just said there's no way the province can touch the HST, therefore the 1% hike needs to come off the table.

It's depressing. Every politician will say "Nobody wants new taxes" and it's like... of course, who wants more taxes? But at some point the discussion needs to become "We NEED new taxes, because it's the only way out of this shitty situation" .The question is, how bad does it have to get before both sides of the political spectrum agree that the ends justify the means?

Don't call it and do it within HST then - call it transit tax or whatever - it has the added bonus of being clearly identified with an outcome.

AoD

Right - the province can raise the tax rate but it can't be just for one region.

As an aside, I can't believe the province gave up autonomy in taxing flexibility by harmonizing the taxes... talk about a boneheaded move...

They must provide the records and/or a reason for any claimed exemptions under the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act within 30 days unless they request a time extension from the Information & Privacy Commissioner.
Personnel issues though are a valid reason for an extension to be granted. Given Ford's huge personnel issues lately, and extension is virtually guaranteed.

Though perhaps things are improving ... it's 11 AM and I don't think anyone has resigned yet. Though perhaps Ford hasn't shown up for his 2-hour day at the office yet.

nfitz:

Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 4m

I'd seriously be okay with him taking Fridays off. RT @BenSpurr: Rob Ford just arrived. Didn't say a word as he walked into his office.

AoD

Don't call it and do it within HST then - call it transit tax or whatever - it has the added bonus of being clearly identified with an outcome.

AoD

Yeah - I think a regional sales tax makes more sense anyway - helps use tourist dollars (and tourists are infrastructure-users as well) to fund transit expansion.

Why can't our politicians just say "Hey look, here's what they're doing in LA and it is working amazingly well - let's just copy it". Once you establish a regional sales tax, you can borrow against future revenues and get shovels in the ground as soon as there's a strategy and a set of drawings...

Personnel issues though are a valid reason for an extension to be granted.

Extension of time
27. (1) A head may extend the time limit set out in section 26 for a period of time that is reasonable in the circumstances, where,
(a) the request is for a large number of records or necessitates a search through a large number of records and meeting the time limit would unreasonably interfere with the operations of the institution; or
(b) consultations with a person outside the institution are necessary to comply with the request and cannot reasonably be completed within the time limit. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31, s. 27 (1).

Doesn't seem to cover personnel issues. That said, depending on the scope of the request it could involve a large number of records.

guitararchitect:

And I am sure the province, if needs be, can perhaps morph Metrolinx into a regional governance body with the authority to levy sales taxes.

AoD

Extension of time
27. (1) A head may extend the time limit set out in section 26 for a period of time that is reasonable in the circumstances, where,
(a) the request is for a large number of records or necessitates a search through a large number of records and meeting the time limit would unreasonably interfere with the operations of the institution; or
(b) consultations with a person outside the institution are necessary to comply with the request and cannot reasonably be completed within the time limit. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31, s. 27 (1).

Doesn't seem to cover personnel issues. That said, depending on the scope of the request it could involve a large number of records.
Not directly, but the requests are for a large number of records. And personnel issues make meeting the time limit not possible without unreasonably interfering with the operations of the Mayors Office. It's not like extensions aren't uncommon!

AoD

I think that the reason for raising the HST was to eliminate the need for new management that comes with the implementation of a completely new tax.

This is a good point. There's been a Ford scandal every couple of months or so. With all this heat on Ford, what will he do next while people are watching? My fear has been that if Ford doesn't respond to these questions, the press will get tired of asking and slowly things would return to normal. But who am I kidding? Ford is giving us new ammunition every day. As long as staff is resigning, as long as the media discover new things to report, this story can go on indefinitely. TheStar has already requested george Christopoulos, Isaac Ransom and Brian Johnston's e-mail records under the Freedom of Information Act. There will definitely be some juicy stuff in there. If The Star can vindicate itself, it's going to come out the best investigative reporting paper in Canada. They're going to rack up rewards on this.

Unless the new scandals are bad enough to warrant charges of the Ford's there's no point. The Star is preaching to the converted at this point. Anyone still believing in Ford will need to see either that crack video, or better yet, Ford led out in cuffs.

I'm truly amazed at Ford nation, I experienced it last night and it's dumbfounding.

Latest I heard was - It's the Star's fault that the staffers after Towhey left. The Star intimidated and scared them into leaving for their own good.

Unless there's charges or a 'smoking gun' nothing will change their minds and see any attempts to do anything about him as another attack on Ford.

What would be perfect is to have the Sun actually dig up a scandal on Ford, but that's a remote possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back