News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dude who lost to Ford in ward 2 is out of control lately with race baiting. I was wrong about that guy. Disappointing!

What are you referring to? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with social media, so not sure what he's been up to. What "race baiting" are you referring to?

Genuine or he just learned from the rest of the family's mistakes and knows what not to do in public. I have learned that in politics that ones ego quickly becomes ones chief interest and so everything else takes second place. I'm may be cynical or just a realist, it all depends on how long the knives are in the middle of the night.

Though it's worth recounting how in this thread, I believe, there was some way-back rumour posted to the effect that Mikey was gay. (Well, he watches The Young and the Restless with his Nana...connect the dots, folks ;-) )

Though it's worth recounting how in this thread, I believe, there was some way-back rumour posted to the effect that Mikey was gay. (Well, he watches The Young and the Restless with his Nana...connect the dots, folks ;-) )

We all know that "camps" and the ilk are hot beds of perversion and sex. ;)

"Put the dots together." It's one of the tags for this thread.

I wonder if they are Liberal, Communist, Conservative, Buddhist or Judish dots.

What are you referring to? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with social media, so not sure what he's been up to. What "race baiting" are you referring to?

He's been going on about "white privilege" a lot lately. If I recall correctly you support this whole idea too--that we're born with some big advantage because of our skin colour. I find it an ugly and offensive topic. I know plenty of white people who've had anything but privileged lives. People who've grown up in poverty and been in and out of jail. Girls who were sexually abused as kids and got knocked up in middle school. People who lost their jobs a few years ago and haven't been able to find another one. My dad's father died when he was a kid and he grew up poor and had to make his own way. I've been stuck in the same dead end, low paying job for years despite applying for hundreds of jobs. We're up to our ears in debt and one job loss away from being totally screwed. And yet I'm privileged because of my skin colour?

He's been going on about "white privilege" a lot lately. If I recall correctly you support this whole idea too--that we're born with some big advantage because of our skin colour. I find it an ugly and offensive topic. I know plenty of white people who've had anything but privileged lives. People who've grown up in
poverty and been in and out of jail. Girls who were sexually abused as kids and got knocked up in middle school. People who lost their jobs a few years ago and haven't been able to find another one. My dad's father died when he was a kid and he grew up poor and had to make his
own way. I've been stuck in the same dead end, low paying job for years despite applying for hundreds of jobs. We're up to our ears in debt and one job loss away from being totally screwed. And yet I'm privileged because of my skin colour?

Numbers never lie Jimmi. More people of colour have those issues than whites proportionately. As open minded progressive Canadians we are shielded from the worst of it. Here the police do a lot of unnecessary carding. Stateside they do a lot of unnecessary killing and jailing of black people. White privelege. Just because you and I don't feel the privelege doesn't mean it ain't a thing. Also Pretty sure Domise's partner is white.

Numbers never lie Jimmi. More people of colour have those issues than whites proportionately. As open minded progressive Canadians we are shielded from the worst of it. Here the police do a lot of unnecessary carding. Stateside they do a lot of unnecessary killing and jailing of black people. White privelege. Just because you and I don't feel the privelege doesn't mean it ain't a thing. Also Pretty sure Domise's partner is white.

Jimmi, the thing about privilege is that, to the extent you have it, you don't recognize it, and, to the extent you have it is relative. Hence John Tory can say he doesn't think there's such a thing as "white privilege" without acknowledging that he has White, Male and Wealth privilege. He's grown up with it, takes it for granted. Its an entitlement, not a natural result of his own merits. You get a sense of how deep it runs if you felt awkward about his advice to women who want to get ahead to take up golf.

Now Robbie and the Fords are another fine example of privilege and their sense of entitlement because of it. He's a middle-aged man that acts like an ADHD 6 year old but believes he has reached his status because of his "hard work" and "integrity".

He's been going on about "white privilege" a lot lately. If I recall correctly you support this whole idea too--that we're born with some big advantage because of our skin colour. I find it an ugly and offensive topic. I know plenty of white people who've had anything but privileged lives. People who've grown up in poverty and been in and out of jail. Girls who were sexually abused as kids and got knocked up in middle school. People who lost their jobs a few years ago and haven't been able to find another one. My dad's father died when he was a kid and he grew up poor and had to make his own way. I've been stuck in the same dead end, low paying job for years despite applying for hundreds of jobs. We're up to our ears in debt and one job loss away from being totally screwed. And yet I'm privileged because of my skin colour?

"Haves" and "Have-nots"... "White Supremacy/Privilege" is a false flag, racial labels, like all labels, only serve the division of people for easier control. The problem is when they become a meme repeated from parent to child; these "good facts" promote tribalism/nationalism. Another one of the outcomes is demoralization, you can't hope to achieve something if it is not available to you from the start.

Two favourite quotes I like in this vein:

“I’m not gonna spend my life being a colour,” - Song "Black or White” by Michael Jackson

"You listen to me. You say you don’t want to tell me how to live my life. So what do you think you’ve been doing? You tell me what rights I’ve got or haven’t got, and what I owe to you for what you’ve done for me. Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you’re supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don’t own me! You can’t tell me when or where I’m out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don’t even know what I am, Dad, you don’t know who I am. You don’t know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand. You are 30 years older than I am. You and your whole lousy generation believes the way it was for you is the way it’s got to be. And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs! You understand, you’ve got to get off my back! Dad… Dad, you’re my father. I’m your son. I love you. I always have and I always will. But you think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man. Now, I’ve got a decision to make, hm?" - Movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" Dr. John Prentice (Sidney Poitier)

Some(?) Extreme Right Christians (on marriage equality) liken themselves to the Civil Rights movement in the 50's and 60's and their enemy, the marriage equality side, are proclaimed as Nazis bent on creating Christian ghettos, etc. This a good example of how memes are being used to enlist past events and their positiveness or negativity.

I'll stop right here before I really start to rave. :D

IIRC, according to John Oliver the term is "Judesque". ;)

Ah yes, I remember the piece, excellent stand-up philosopher.

Now Robbie and the Fords are another fine example of privilege and their sense of entitlement because of it. He's a middle-aged man that acts like an ADHD 6 year old but believes he has reached his status because of his "hard work" and "integrity".

Dougie JR. and Robbie also think that any success Dougie SR. obtained is also theirs just as Dougie SR. tried his hardest to change history and remove his business partner from the beginnings of DECO. Someone should tell them that a true altruistic act is not one that you shout about at any opportunity, especially to balance the negative things they have and will do; the cancer card is also a good example, others deal with it quietly but they use it as a sword and shield.

Last edited:

Jimmi T, I think we differ in our views because we're working from different definitions of white privilege. I've read yours, so I hope you'll read mine:

White privilege is just a way to describe the opposite experience of racism. That's it. It's a way to describe the experience white people get to have by not being judged for the crime of darker skin. It's the flipside of racism. That's all.

So, white privilege does not mean automatically being successful at everything. It also doesn't mean white people never experience abuse, hardship, poverty, alcoholism, or avoid debt, mental illness or job layoffs. Nor does it mean white never get stopped illegally by police, go to jail, or even accused of crimes they didn’t commit.

Problem is, white people rarely get to see how they don't experience racism. For example, if you're white, you'll probably never know that the cop who stopped you for running a red light and let you off with a stern warning is the same cop who stopped, held for three hours, and illegally searched the car of a black man for having tinted windows.

I'm confident we both agree that racism exists, and that the second encounter described above would fall in that category. White privilege is just a way of describing the first one - getting let off, or even ticketed - but not harrassed and illegally searched. But it doesn't mean you'll never get harrassed and illegally searched! It means it's less likely to happen to you than a person of colour, and I think this is what makes it hard for white people to understand: it's about likelihoods rather than absolutes.

Anyways, I don't know if I've done anything to persuade you, but I do hope you'll also read this piece by Desmond Cole about his experience of racism here in Toronto and then consider how it may compare to your own experiences with police: http://www.torontolife.com/informer...im-ive-interrogated-police-50-times-im-black/

Last edited:
The mods have obviously allowed a little latitude. But I am proud of us today. Differing opinions were respectfully presented and some schooling may or may not have happened. There may be hope for us yet.

City boosts TTC bus service, restoring cuts made under Ford administration

Mr. Tory said it was “a mistake†for Mr. Ford and the previous council to cut TTC service.

“This was not the right thing to do in a city that needs transit service to connect people to jobs,†he said. “When people sensed the service was much worse over the last four years, they were right – it was.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...de-under-ford-administration/article24584611/

lesson.JPG

https://twitter.com/LeeanneMcrobb/status/601501474116542464

Attachments

• lesson.JPG
    lesson.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 790
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back