News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. What I am really curious about is what the Dowager Empress is thinking about right now.

AoD

She's probably worried about the colour of the kitchen cabinets. Someone mentioned a possible renovation at Rob's place and she's behind that for sure. Since image is everything and the house will probably be sold, time to spruce things up and get rid of the 1960's kitchen. She doesn't want people to think of her son as el cheapo. I know he has more than enough to eat at home, but the formica has got to go.

Screen shot 2016-03-03 at 9.52.27 AM.png

You gotta hand it to Doug, he probably spends most of his time in Chicago these days, but when he's back in Toronto, he sure gets things done.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-03 at 9.52.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-03 at 9.52.27 AM.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 534
View attachment 68878

You gotta hand it to Doug, he probably spends most of his time in Chicago these days, but when he's back in Toronto, he sure gets things done.

Curtains closed.

What does the phrase "it's curtains for you" mean?

Refers to theater curtains or to funerary curtains that resembled the bed curtains of the 19th century. It is a grotesque euphemism that plays on both concepts. It was popular in the 1920s due to the depiction of prohibition-era gangsters in film.

Hispanic and Latino mean slightly different things. They're not exactly interchangable, but both words are frequently used similarly.

Latino means someone (specifically male, if referring to an individual person) of Latin American ethnicity/heritage. Hispanic refers to a person or people of Spanish ethnicity/heritage, either from Spain, or generally from a Spanish-speaking country.

Latino is becoming more widely used to describe persons of Latin American heritage, but in many cases, Hispanic is still acceptable.

Yep. Hispanic is generally anyone whose background is from a Spanish-speaking country, including Spain and its Atlantic and North African territories, and Equatorial Guinea. It's more about having the Spanish language in common. Latino is broader and includes Brazilians but not, as 'Latin America(n)' sometimes does, French-speaking countries in Central and South America and the Caribbean.

I was just walking by there on Monday, and the signs were still up. I'm glad to see that they have come down.

Yep. Hispanic is generally anyone whose background is from a Spanish-speaking country, including Spain and its Atlantic and North African territories, and Equatorial Guinea. It's more about having the Spanish language in common. Latino is broader and includes Brazilians but not, as 'Latin America(n)' sometimes does, French-speaking countries in Central and South America and the Caribbean.

But, as I suggested above, in the States it seems to have taken on the (literal) patina of race. It's a way of turning what's essentially a group of caucasians into another tribe of brown people who are coming for you jobs and your women. For heaven's sake, back in the day, during the development of I Love Lucy, the executives at CBS didn't think the American television audience could handle a mixed-race couple.

I daresay most of us just naturally assumed the Fords would exploit Rofo's final days of illness for as much cheap, personal advantage as they could get away with, and now that it appears to be happening, I suppose none of us are exactly surprised. Disgusted, maybe, but certainly not surprised. Expect these self-serving hucksters to take the low road every time, and you'll never be disappointed.

But, as I suggested above, in the States it seems to have taken on the (literal) patina of race. It's a way of turning what's essentially a group of caucasians into another tribe of brown people who are coming for you jobs and your women. For heaven's sake, back in the day, during the development of I Love Lucy, the executives at CBS didn't think the American television audience could handle a mixed-race couple.

That's entirely on panicky white/anglo folks, especially since Hispanic people are pretty diverse.

Anyway, as for Doug's claim that a majority of his employees are Hispanic, he's probably got about as good a read on that as he did with Karla's 'Russian Orthodox' 'Jewdish' ancestry.

Can they even use him as a lab rat given he is probably the outlier that would cause trouble in any clinical study?

AoD
I think in this kind of case with a very rare, aggressive cancer that has been resistant to treatment its more about studying the tumours than "saving" the patient. I think that comment was just Doug spewing shit cuz he'd heard something, maybe from the docs, about early research. DoFo may now try to spin it into "Rob wanted to help science find a cure and save humanity, that's just the kind of guy he is."

I think in this kind of case with a very rare, aggressive cancer that has been resistant to treatment its more about studying the tumours than "saving" the patient. I think that comment was just Doug spewing shit cuz he'd heard something, maybe from the docs, about early research. DoFo may now try to spin it into "Rob wanted to help science find a cure and save humanity, that's just the kind of guy he is."

I saw a special on one clinical trial for another type of cancer. They cured one person but wanted to test the upper limits of treatment with the next one and they died a horrible death. So you could end up being far worse off with this time of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back