News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was never mentally capable of doing much and they let him keep the seat. They won't do anything so long as he is alive.

A lot of people who are elected are not mentally capable of doing anything but they can still get out and be active in their jurisdictions. Rob Ford is neither mentally or physically capable at this time.

A lot of people who are elected are not mentally capable of doing anything but they can still get out and be active in their jurisdictions. Rob Ford is neither mentally or physically capable at this time.

Half his tenure as mayor was characterized by that level of capability - and we seem rather unconcerned when he was doped up while being in the position to exercise power.
Now they should just appoint a vegetable and be done with it.

AoD

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.04.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.02.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.04.32 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 667
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.02.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.02.25 PM.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 656
The City should call a by-election tomorrow because Ford is in no condition to be an effective Councillor. How can he return phone calls or emails? How can he visit his constituents?

That's unpossible. Council can only call a by-election to fill a vacant seat and Ford's is not vacant. An unconscious Ford cannot tender his resignation and Council has voted to authorize all of Ford's absences from Council meetings to date.

The Municipal Act:
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.38.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.38.55 PM.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 637
He was never mentally capable of doing much and they let him keep the seat. They won't do anything so long as he is alive.
Hell, they re-elected him Councilor after the Rare & Aggressive Cancer diagnosis so if they want a by-election we should make them beg for one. Or, we should hope he hangs on 5 or 6 more months so that council could appoint a competent human being to the seat. After 16 years of Fords they might just like it.

Couldn't a comatose Ford win Ward 2 again in 2018? Consciousness has never been a big priority for those voters...

End-of-life care is palliative, but palliative care can start well before a disease enters its terminal phase. My mother was a palliative patient for two years before she died.

Strictly palliative care starts when no therapies to extend survival are available. Rob has failed second-line chemo now, which otherwise would have been termed "palliative" treatment since "curative" treatment has been no longer possible. But sedation for pain control? That is exclusive to end-of-life care in the context of a terminal disease, and - if I may dust off one of Doug's preferred terms - suggestions to the contrary are disingenuous.

Of course, you needn't be moved to a specific palliative care unit/ward/hospice to receive end-of-life care. So not being "moved" to palliative care doesn't really mean much of anything. "Sedation for pain" certainly does.

Last edited:
Hell, they re-elected him Councilor after the Rare & Aggressive Cancer diagnosis so if they want a by-election we should make them beg for one. Or, we should hope he hangs on 5 or 6 more months so that council could appoint a competent human being to the seat. After 16 years of Fords they might just like it.
There's no hard cutoff right now for vote vs appointment (other than the few months before general election as mandated by the CoTA). The old policy is dead letter. Council will decide each vacancy on a case by case basis.

I sometimes wonder if I should feel sorry for the guy. The Ford's are notoriously inarticulate. Is it possible Dan is hogtied by their instructions? (A long shot... I know.)
It's possible but he has to be real desperate for the work or the Fords own him for some reason.

@JG... I was hoping you'd comment on the significance of sedation for pain management. I know noting about that. So, thanks for the insight. My point re palliative care is only that it's not an indication on it's own that a patient's death is imminent. My mother was a palliative patient because there was no treatment for her brain cancer. But it also took a long time for her cancer to advance to point that it killed her. The last six months of her life were mortifying — probably not unlike where Rob is now. But she kept hanging on, even though she didn't want to. It was cosmically perverse.

But it also took a long time for her cancer to advance to point that it killed her. The last six months of her life were mortifying — probably not unlike where Rob is now. But she kept hanging on, even though she didn't want to. It was cosmically perverse.

I don't say this glibly - perhaps we should be thankful that assisted death is finally a possibility now where no dignified option exists prior.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back