News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vox, totally understood, I actually like the passion. I sit here at work and read some of these posts and read how I reply and I cant get over just how divided this city has become, downtown vs. suburban, bikes vs drivers, lefties vs right winger,s etc…I really don’t know if this city is ever going to have a singular vision again and just get bogged down by petty arguments. The next mayor of the city is never going to be able to run their elected agenda without venom from the other side, whether its Ford or someone else. This city is in trouble.

I agree that we're in trouble, largely because we have adopted (unwittingly or not) the "Red State - Blue State" politics of the US. But just to clarify your point about future mayors having to deal with "venom", I would note that Miller didn't exactly get a free pass; he had to deal with venom from The Star and The Sun, and he didn't even smoke crack with gangbangers.

if you follow the news releases and subsequent reporting on big projects like traveller, i think that relatively minor charges like possession, p&p violations, bail violations, etc., tend to either get dropped or pled down. the crown has limited resources, and a large project like this (even with integrated investigations and prosecutions) generates immense amounts of evidence that must be processed. i highly doubt there is much evidence at all incriminating the mayor, if any.

if you follow the news releases and subsequent reporting on big projects like traveller, i think that relatively minor charges like possession, p&p violations, bail violations, etc., tend to either get dropped or pled down. the crown has limited resources, and a large project like this (even with integrated investigations and prosecutions) generates immense amounts of evidence that must be processed. i highly doubt there is much evidence at all incriminating the mayor, if any.

While there may indeed be immense amounts of evidence that must be processed, how does that lead you to doubt there is much evidence at all incriminating the mayor?

Cock tease.

i don't get what the tease is. the fact that the Star and the Globe are still investigating the various dark corners of planet Ford is hardly news.
and as i've already said--there is enormous pressure to get it 100% right. when the next wave comes, the stories will be bullet-proof.
which is why it seems like there isn't much happening right now, when in fact there is a great deal happening.

Anyone who lives in Toronto and votes conservative on a provincial or federal level is voting against their own interests. Political parties cater to their base. The base for conservative politicians is rural and small town. They appeal to that base by screwing over the big cities and the "elites" (read: university graduates) and parasites (read: people who've lost their jobs) who live in them. I'm not even criticizing them for that (too much). That's just smart politics---you reward the people who vote for you.

I am not 100% certain, but I think the current federal goverment is the first to put any money towards subways in Toronto.

So, just to be clear, you're mad at the "spend first leftist government" because it is reducing its spending on Toronto?

Just like with the Gas Plants. A government that changes the course of a previous government is generally excused, while a government that changes its owns commitments is blamed.

when the next wave comes, the stories will be bullet-proof.
which is why it seems like there isn't much happening right now, when in fact there is a great deal happening.

The calmer the quiet before the storm, the more damage will be done.

i don't get what the tease is. the fact that the Star and the Globe are still investigating the various dark corners of planet Ford is hardly news.
and as i've already said--there is enormous pressure to get it 100% right. when the next wave comes, the stories will be bullet-proof.

I know, I know...I'm just being impatient for the story to drop.

BurlOak:

Forgive me, but what does gas plants (which has its' own thread btw) has to do with Rob Ford again?

I am not 100% certain, but I think the current federal goverment is the first to put any money towards subways in Toronto.

Nope, the province did, in the form of a trust to lock the money in I believe.

AoD

Last edited:
BurlOak:

Forgive me, but what does gas plants (which has its' own thread btw) has to do with Rob Ford again?

AoD

I think the "reply with quote" button should automatically add the entire reply and quote from before. Often, looking only at the quote does not give a good context. Follow from the quote from Tulse and you can understand why my statement is in this thread.

sorry, ramako, i started posting, dealt with something at work, went to the bathroom, and finished my post but not my thought.

traveller focussed on those selling drugs and guns, and those committing assaults and murders. if there were sufficient incriminating evidence - seriously, i doubt the mayor sells drugs or guns - the mayor would have been arrested during traveller. seeing as how he hasn't been, likely all that exists within the evidence seized is either piddly stuff like possession or buying a small amount from a dealer, or nothing. the crown has to calculate whether conviction is a reasonable outcome, and then i'm sure all sorts of political calculus gets thrown at whether to go to trial or not. there may be evidence seized in traveller that depicts the mayor smoking some kind of substance that is almost entirely likely to be crack; it's utility as evidence either against him or against a gangster up on charges of selling drugs or assault or murder is questionable.

Finding dark corners of the Frauds is the relatively easy part, as witnessed week after week over the past 18 or so months. It's the big stuff (whatever that might be) that needs to be carefully investigated, documented, vetted and passed by legal. I just wish that all this was a bad dream already, or be over so we can begin the recovery period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back