News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you're right. And I want to see the family brought to its knees as much as anyone. I just don't think it's fair to make Deco employees and their families collateral damage in all of this. He's going to be done as mayor soon enough, anyway.

Well, let's take that line of thought to it's logical extreme and work backwards---is there anything at all a company could do that would deserve a boycott, knowing that hurting their business could harm innocent employees? If you'd agree that, yes, A company could potentially be involved in behavior that would deserve that, then what is the least a business could do to warrant a boycott? Is being owned by individuals as odious as the Fords, who use their fortune to gain political office, worthy of that sort of action?

I'd say yeah, definitely. Any company that puts its' profits towards nefarious ends deserves to be run out of business. Deco is such a company.

I'm not sure. Give Rob and Doug a big chunk of airtime, no call ins (it's pretaped), and so long as they don't have editorial control, it's entirely possible (especially from an entity as cynical as Sun News) that they just let them talk and talk and then edit and present it however the network wants. Again I'm just repeating what Kinsella said, but you'd think he'd know to some degree...

If it's anything like the radio show it's going to be 80% community calendar, and 20% listing of grievances. It's the 20% where things have the potential to get interesting.

The next front line against this awful family is DECO, more specifically DECO's client list. I'm looking into my sources to come up with a complete list of DECO's clients which can be brought to the public that can choose to boycott any brands still doing business with the Fords. Heinz, Billy Bee honey and McCormick spices are some of DECO's clients. The City of Toronto also does business with DECO but Councillors' options are limited unless DECO itself is involved in anything illegal that could justify dropping them as a supplier.

This is exactly what I asked about in my first post a few weeks ago. I may have to wait until next October to (again) vote against this clown…. but I can start doing something right now by boycotting products and telling these companies why I'm doing so.

Which is a more likely explanation? (A) Bitter 17-year-old makes up somewhat credible story, as RoFo was known to many as a scuzzball in November 2012. (B) RoFo is actually so evil and organized that he could pay teens for sex with high school football players.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of "evil and organized", so much as being an overly generous moral black hole in an eternal state of stunted-adolescent delusion. Like, doing it on behalf of the players; guys like girls, so, get girls for the guys. And if they're teens, fine: they're their peers. (And so what if the parties involved are under 18: it's normal for teens to be horny, right? 17, 18 year olds dating 15, 16 year olds? Totally normal.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Doug Sr. was the sort to "arrange" virginity losses for his boys.

Except that the Fords are real bantamweight rubes even by Bernays standards--though what you're saying may be true of the more "generic" right-of-centre a la Nixon/Reagan/Thatcher/Harper.

At this point, "Ford" will only win another term through a proxy such as John Tory or Michael Thompson.

Except that the Fords hired people with specific skills and expertise to work up their image and run their campaigns. If Rob can get another skilled manager, he might pull it off again.

Also, in 2010, Rob Ford was exploiting a worldview (described in the post I originally responded to) that already existed. The foundations for his win were already in place. They are still there.

Last edited:
Ah Mulcair... I'll still end up voting NDP. But Mulcair's really fucked himself on this Clarity Act thing. I get he's trying to shore up Quebec support but he keeps hammering this issue of "we're just doing what the Supreme Court said we should do and no other party is doing it" ... it's political suicide in a lot of the country is why they haven't. Jack had really moved the party away from being overtly radical about some stuff. This was bad politics on Mulcair's part.

The NDP's leadership is intent on turning the party into the next milquetoast Liberals because they think that's what will get them votes. I hope the party's grassroots can turn it around, because I'd love to have an actual choice when it comes to voting come the next election. I'm sick to death of voting for the least shitty option, I'd love to know what it feels like to vote for a party that isn't just going to politely debate how much of our money and resources to give to greedy rich bastards.

About the high school football scenario, how likely, if that really happened, given all that has transpired until today, is it that none of the many teenaged parties allegedly involved made a complaint that the news media got wind of?

In some ways, Coach Ford in practice reminds me less of a creepy Sandusky character than of a hot young female teacher who gets into gangbangs with the boys. That is, boys being boys, what's to complain about?

article-2189223-14928379000005DC-861_306x423.jpg

Schwing!

The next front line against this awful family is DECO, more specifically DECO's client list. I'm looking into my sources to come up with a complete list of DECO's clients which can be brought to the public that can choose to boycott any brands still doing business with the Fords. Heinz, Billy Bee honey and McCormick spices are some of DECO's clients. The City of Toronto also does business with DECO but Councillors' options are limited unless DECO itself is involved in anything illegal that could justify dropping them as a supplier.

Focusing on DECO will not only cut off the cash flow that is being used against Toronto (i.e. lawyers vs City of Toronto, funding Ford's campaign, Ford's future office budget, impunity towards fines, etc). It'll also bring Ford as a rich, spoiled, entitled brat into public perception. He's not blue collar and he's not just like many of his Ford Nation supporters. He's filthy rich and he acts untouchable and entitled to the Mayor's office and won't leave. This can't be emphasized enough.

If any of you are aware of brands that get their labels printed at DECO, please add it to the list. Also, feel free to call and write these brands CEOs asking them to print their labels somewhere else or be seen to be supporting the Fords.

DECO's clients:
Heinz
Billy Bee
McCormick spices
City of Toronto

I remember seeing a DECO promo video (or some Ford-oriented documentary) where they showed rolls of printed labels for Maple Leaf Chicken.
These labels:
http://www.mapleleaf.ca/en/market/butcher/fresh-meats/chicken/

I'll try to find the video...long shot though

If it's anything like the radio show it's going to be 80% community calendar, and 20% listing of grievances. It's the 20% where things have the potential to get interesting.

I dunno. Community calendar works for radio because it's, well, radio. Television needs to be sexier. Now they've been very close to the vest with details about how it's being filmed or the format or much of anything about it. But I can't imagine they gave final editorial control to the Fords. They're also billing it as a "reality" show, which suggests to me filming a lot more than they plan to use and then editing down, as opposed to just having them talk for the length of what the show is and then airing that. The most disgusting quote about it comes (of course) from Doug, who literally says "Rob is like Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh" which is a pretty stunning thing for a sitting councillor to say about a sitting mayor, to literally compare him to possibly the two most polarizing and controversial broadcasters of their generation. They're definitely selling it as controversy (and setting Rob up for a future career in broadcast punditry?). I would guess based on what Kinsella said and what Sun News is billing it as that they will encourage the Fords (who, remember, don't need much prodding and are too dim to realize that the spectacle they've been making of themselves on US news shows has been for everyone but them comedy entertainment) to just give'er with whatever they want to say about anything, possibly with one of their pro trolls like Menzies egging them on. I think it's going to be a shitshow of seriously epic proportions. Imagine Stern or Limbaugh without the self-awareness of Stern or Limbaugh. Even Rush, as fucking ridiculous as he is, knows EXACTLY what he's doing and who he's speaking to. The Fords are on the other end of the clueless spectrum but have just as much rope. And neither Stern or Limbaugh is a sitting politician, which makes this all the more insane. If Kinsella's right I'm actually looking forward to this first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back