News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can only speculate what Doug Ford's relationship with his daughters is like. I don't think a father complimenting his daughter's appearance is in any way sexist. I don't know what Doug's kids look like (other than Krista) but he would probably say the same thing even if they didn't meet the criteria for what is considered attractive by most people. Young people tend to be very sensitive about their appearance and positive comments from their parents about it can be an ego boost. I know I'd prefer the type of parent who would describe me as attractive to people as opposed to one prone to doing things like shaking my hand on the first day of school a la Stephen Harper. It wouldn't make me feel objectified.

What is sexist and patently offensive is the many comments that were made about Robyn Doolittle's appearance. I can't imagine anyone commenting about a male journalist's sex appeal or lack thereof.

This link might provide some insight into how girls are socialized differently than boys re: looks.
http://www.upworthy.com/5-reasons-w...ough-no-matter-what-anyone-tells-her-5?c=ufb1
"50% of commercials aimed at girls spoke about physical attractiveness, while none of the commercials aimed at boys referred to appearance."

Can someone lawyer-ly answer...would Ford or his lawyer be told at all? From the articles, the police would be seeking the info from Rogers and On-Star. Does the subject of the investigation get informed?

Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 53m
Rob Ford's lawyer: Neither he nor the Mayor have any indication from police/investigators that they are seeking cellphone search warrants
Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 51m
Ford's lawyer says everything he and the Mayor know about any cellphone search warrant applications is what they've read in the Star

Another hilarious Ford campaign strategy...

ddale8 1:28pm via Web
Interesting: Doug Ford, who's a millionaire conservative businessman, blasted John Tory using Occupy rhetoric, calling him part of "the 1%."

Opinions are not hate speech, what turns opinion into hate speech is when violence or criminality are advocated.

That's not an accurate description of hate speech laws, which apply to any speech that "incites hatred against an identifiable group". There is no need for the speech to advocate violence.

This tweet led me to the article at the Sun
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2h
This is the second time recently - first Globe, now Star - that Ford has received a media inquiry and gone to Warmington to talk about it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/05/toronto-cops-can-take-cellphone-instead-of-obtaining-warrants-rob-ford

From Wormington's article. When his phone was tapped before, were all those calls to Lisi dealing with constituent problems?

"They got to do what they got to do, but they can search until the cows come home because I have done nothing wrong," said Ford. "They will realize how hard I work. I call constituents and deal with their problems."

And you knew he'd have to throw this in:

In fact, he said, there must be something more important police could be doing with their time.

"It's a waste of taxpayers' money," said Ford, adding it's all about getting police commanders' choice for mayor elected. "They want to get their boy in. I think they should let the voters decide."

What is sexist and patently offensive is the many comments that were made about Robyn Doolittle's appearance. I can't imagine anyone commenting about a male journalist's sex appeal or lack thereof.

I've never seen comments that a male journalist is too sexy/appealing to be taken seriously, which has certainly been implied about Doolittle. It's odd considering that women are encouraged to be focused on appearance, yet when a woman is successful (due to work that has nothing to do with her looks) and good looking, people get suspicious.

Can someone lawyer-ly answer...would Ford or his lawyer be told at all? From the articles, the police would be seeking the info from Rogers and On-Star. Does the subject of the investigation get informed?

Rob Ford's lawyer: Neither he nor the Mayor have any indication from police/investigators that they are seeking cellphone search warrants
Ford's lawyer says everything he and the Mayor know about any cellphone search warrant applications is what they've read in the Star

The target of the warrant only has to be informed after the fact. I believe it is 60 days for wiretaps, but I don't know what it is for "sneak-and-peek", which I think is what the phone records would fall under. I believe that our beloved federal government has been trying to ram through more powers to warrantless-ly obtain phone and internet records, but I think they've been slapped down by the courts.

IANAL, but my understanding is that if it were part of a lawsuit, he and his counsel would be notified. But as it's an ongoing police investigation, the subject of the investigation is not privy to any of that information until charges are filed against them.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 28m
Potential jurors walk out of Mayor Rob Ford's office with Cllr Doug Ford and Ford Nation t-shirts #TOpoli

Jury tampering? obstruction of justice? something about this just makes my skin crawl.

Jury tampering? obstruction of justice? something about this just makes my skin crawl.

What the hell is he doing, inviting the other people waiting around at the courthouse over for tours? He's basically doing this, I think, to insure that he's not chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back