News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be quite so harsh to westyvt. Really, just knowing that there are people outside our borders who care about this story and sympathize with us makes me feel better. It doesn't change much, but it helps, and we need to take what we can get at this point.

I'm not being harsh. I wasn't even being mean. On the jerk level I think I would score quite low. I just mean, what *do* you think you can do as a non-citizen? Nothing. It's municipal politics. You can, like, be aware.... and make other people more aware... but that's about it.

I don't see what was harsh about what I said.

the weird thing is that there's no doubt in my mind that this will turn out very well - just sharing the frustration of not feeling effective

I appreciate that :D sometimes it feels like we're all alone on the island of sanity in the sea of insane here in the T dot. Knowing people see it the way we do helps (at least in my opinion)

Marry a Canadian, get your citizenship, move to Toronto and VOTE! We need all the help we can get! ;)

step one is done - but I'm married to my job, too, so the other two won't happen at least until retirement - maybe humor can be sprinkled about periodically

I'm not being harsh. I wasn't even being mean. On the jerk level I think I would score quite low. I just mean, what *do* you think you can do as a non-citizen? Nothing. It's municipal politics. You can, like, be aware.... and make other people more aware... but that's about it.

I don't see what was harsh about what I said.

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound combative. I get what you're saying and I probably was too blunt. Really, everything's cool here :)

So apparently still drunk but not kicked out. I forget some people just like to troll.

Last edited:
In fairness though - the sunshine list includes overtime. So somebody in a role being paid hourly and earning much less can work a LOT and thus find themselves on that list. Doesn't necessarily mean they're "overpaid".

I put myself through post secondary by working in a factory... the guys that worked there made reasonable money but some of the older ones without wives or kids worked EVERY single overtime call that came their way. Bumped their overall salary far beyond their "base". They essentially traded their leisure time for it though.

Hiring freezes have put a lot of people on the list.

A friend of mine is a part-time prison guard. Because the prison is unable to hire beyond their current number, he and the other guards are making massive amounts of overtime, and what was once seen as a cost-cutting measure is now costing more. He bought a $40,000 car in cash with a "part time" salary, and he made the sunshine list this year.

now get your ass here and help us with this or I will personally find you and tickle your feet

6 to 6 in the bottom of the 10th and the Sox are up - I'm not moving yet

A friend of mine is a part-time prison guard. Because the prison is unable to hire beyond their current number, he and the other guards are making massive amounts of overtime, and what was once seen as a cost-cutting measure is now costing more. He bought a $40,000 car in cash with a "part time" salary, and he made the sunshine list this year.

The jails hire part-timers to save paying to OT full-timers.

I am very thankful that we did not have any part-timers where I worked.

All Toronto cops, firemen and paramedics are full-time.

"It's a career, not a hobby!"

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._warned_by_security_at_air_canada_centre.html

A “belligerent” Mayor Rob Ford received a warning from Air Canada Centre security staff at the Toronto Maple Leafs game on Saturday night, an ACC source says — and the city council’s budget chief was concerned that he lost the mayor after the game.

Twitter erupted during the game with a rumour that Ford had been kicked out of the building for intoxication — as he was in 2006. The source said Ford was not evicted but was warned for his behaviour.

“What was said on Twitter has merit,” the source said. “(Security) had to ask him to control himself.”

Councillor Frank Di Giorgio, the city budget chief and Ford’s companion for the game, said Ford became “upset” around the end of the first period when he was denied entry into the exclusive Directors’ Lounge, where he had been allowed to go in the past — at least once, last May, with friend and accused drug dealer and alleged extortionist Sandro Lisi.
“I think the mayor was upset that he wouldn’t be accepted into the Directors’ Lounge, for whatever reason — I think he was upset that for the longest time, he’d been allowed to go there, and for whatever reason, there was a special function going on, and he was not welcome there tonight. So he just got upset over it. And I tried to calm him down. And for most of the night he was fine,” Di Giorgio said.

Di Giorgio said Ford suggested that he was being prevented from entering the lounge because he voted this week against a Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment proposal to expand BMO Field with the help of public money.

“He kept saying, ‘I want to go to the Directors’ Lounge.’ They kept saying, ‘No, no, you can’t go there.’ I don’t think he was yelling at them — he was basically saying it was because he voted against the $10 million. He thought that was the reason he was being barred.”
Di Giorgio said he doesn’t believe Ford was intoxicated, but says Ford “maybe” had something to drink before the game. Ford, who rarely consumes alcohol in public, was photographed holding a Dasani watter bottle in the stands.

“I thought he was fine,” Di Giorgio said. He also said: “I’m just walking back to city hall. I don’t know where the hell he is.
“I feel a bit responsible that I don’t know where he is right now,” Di Giorgio said. “There was a huge crowd surrounding him — I just anticipated that he was just going to jump into a cab. He was about 10, 15 yards ahead of me, and before I knew it, he had jumped into a cab. And some of the people that were surrounding him jumped into the cab with him. So I don’t know where he is right now.”

Di Giorgio added, sounding concerned: “I just tried getting him into a cab, but he said, ‘No, no, I’m fine.’ You know what, I just don’t know exactly where the hell he is. But I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
Photos and videos taken by fans during the game show Ford in the concourse with security employees and police officers nearby. Ford, wearing a Leafs jersey with his name on the back, was swarmed — some people chanting his name and his slogan “Ford more years,” some of them mocking his previous crack cocaine use.
Ford’s chief of staff, Dan Jacobs, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An officer at police 52 Division said he hadn’t “heard anything” about officers responding to an incident at the game.

Ford was kicked out of a 2006 game after he drunkenly berated an out of town couple. He first denied even that he had been at the game, then admitted the story was true.
He vowed in the wake of his crack cocaine scandal last year to give up drinking entirely.
But he has since acknowledged that he has not done so.

This is at least the fourth incident involving Ford’s public behaviour in the last three months. He was filmed in January ranting profanely about the chief of police in a Jamaican accent, then on St. Patrick’s Day weekend stumbling and swearing outside city hall. He received a jaywalking ticket in British Columbia in February, and was seen later that night speaking “gibberish,” consuming alcohol, and appearing impaired at a pub, according to a source.

Well, another Ford lie. Anyone recall this from November's council proceedings?

"I did say it wouldn't happen again...[pause]... at the Air Canada Centre."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back