News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etobicoke is large and diverse. Most of us are nothing like the Fords and Lisis and Bassos of the world.

Good point, but I'm pretty sure that L23 was being tongue-in-cheek there. There are hemp-wearing hipster cyclists in Etobicoke and small-minded bigots downtown (plenty, in fact).

"(There are) no homeless in North York."

"Spoken during his 1997 bid to become mayor of Toronto, a day before a homeless woman was found dead at a North York gas station."
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/07/10/five_controversial_quotes_from_mayor_mel_lastman.html

That is awful.

I didn't live here during the Lastman years, so I'm learning about this stuff after the fact. Still, what Lastman said still stands:
"I'm not a genius, obviously, but [Ford] makes me look like one. I know him, he's stubborn and stubborn sometimes is good, but not constantly. You can't be that stubborn and run a city."

The more I learn about Lastman, the more I realise what a serious rebuke that is, precisely because it came from someone like Lastman.

SecretSquirrel said:
I didn't live here during the Lastman years, so I'm learning about this stuff after the fact.

Then, here are a couple more for you, Squirrel. :)

"Take a look at Yonge St., it looks like a flea market. It's the longest street in the world, but it looks like hell. There's a big store that hangs jeans and ladies' clothes outside, and that's bulls---."

"During the 2003 SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) crisis, Lastman did an interview on CNN. When he was asked what the World Health Organization was doing about the crisis, Lastman replied "They don't know what they're talking about. I don't know who this group is. I've never heard of them before." "

Then, here are a couple more for you, Squirrel. :)

"Take a look at Yonge St., it looks like a flea market. It's the longest street in the world, but it looks like hell. There's a big store that hangs jeans and ladies' clothes outside, and that's bulls---."

"During the 2003 SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) crisis, Lastman did an interview on CNN. When he was asked what the World Health Organization was doing about the crisis, Lastman replied "They don't know what they're talking about. I don't know who this group is. I've never heard of them before." "

I remember thinking at the time, "Well, this is as bad as it gets for Toronto, mayor-wise. We'll never again see a clown as bad as Lastman running this city." How naive I was!

I remember thinking at the time, "Well, this is as bad as it gets for Toronto, mayor-wise. We'll never again see a clown as bad as Lastman running this city." How naive I was!

Mayor Mel was successful in North York. He took office as mayor on January 1, 1973, and held it until he became the first mayor of the amalgamated Toronto.

"Lastman was supported by many in North York for operating that city efficiently and effectively, and for keeping property taxes low."

Doug, again. Violent tendencies? Like wanting to poke someone's eyes out?

BenSpurr 12:47pm via TweetDeck
Doug Ford talking about the group home controversy on CP24. "There are youth there that have violent tendencies," he says.

Most supportive campaign manager. Ever.

BenSpurr 12:48pm via TweetDeck
Q: Will Rob be running for mayor when he's out of rehab? Doug: "As far as I know he is."

BenSpurr 12:47pm via TweetDeck
Doug Ford talking about the group home controversy on CP24. "There are youth there that have violent tendencies," he says.
And he knows this how? Has he actually met (never mind assessed) any of the youth in question? I thought not.

Seems since the GFL story came out about their poor rating, City of Toronto trucks are doing at least some west Toronto routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back