News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the servers be Smart Serve qualified? What if someone had too many pops, drove drunk and hurt themselves or some else? Can the neighbours complain? They still need a permit in order to serve booze.

Good question. I'm guessing if it's in a private facility the Fords rented, it might be handled by that licensed facility. If it takes place in their homes, the Fords might claim it's just a regular, folksy family bbq. Looking at the history so far, I doubt any of the Ford's neighbours will complain, anymore than they would kick a hornet's nest.

Then all that need be done is have a PO Box with an "M" prefix for a mailing address and your good to go.....it doesn't make a difference where you reside...however if you are suggesting residency laws as that pertain to the elegibility to elect were also are in effect for contributions then there is another story....Charter Challenge

Does anyone really have an issue with allowing people outside of the city to contribute to Toronto campaigns if they choose to? The issue that's been raised on this board is slightly different - it's about the city's policy of providing rebates for donations to help equalize the playing field in campaigning. After learning how many of Ford's 2010 campaign donations came from 905 and that all would have been eligible for the rebate program, there's been some sober second thought!

I would support the city in restricting rebates to people who live within the city of Toronto only (using whatever criteria is typically used to establish residency/eligibility). The city could modify this policy at any time. I can't see how it could possibly result in a constitutional challenge.

Good question. I'm guessing if it's in a private facility the Fords rented, it might be handled by that licensed facility. If it takes place in their homes, the Fords might claim it's just a regular, folksy family bbq. Looking at the history so far, I doubt any of the Ford's neighbours will complain, anymore than they would kick a hornet's nest.

This seems to be the way they distribute the free booze ( from Apr 2014 ).

"so it appears they are giving out drink tickets to everyone and relying on smart serve staff to ask for ID. Efficient mayor party."
https://twitter.com/robochodo/status/456931005098520576

View attachment 30300

Last edited:
Does anyone really have an issue with allowing people outside of the city to contribute to Toronto campaigns if they choose to? The issue that's been raised on this board is slightly different - it's about the city's policy of providing rebates for donations to help equalize the playing field in campaigning. After learning how many of Ford's 2010 campaign donations came from 905 and that all would have been eligible for the rebate program, there's been some sober second thought!

I would support the city in restricting rebates to people who live within the city of Toronto only (using whatever criteria is typically used to establish residency/eligibility). The city could modify this policy at any time. I can't see how it could possibly result in a constitutional challenge.

I agree with this. I understand why donations that come from outside the city are allowable. There are many people who work or own businesses in Toronto but don't live in the city. They still have a vested interest in who runs it even if they don't live here. However, the rebates should be reserved for city residents.

If the Ford BBQ goes ahead at the Thompson Memorial Park. I hope that the City temporarily closes the washrooms fro repairs and replaced them with two porta-potties, or nothing.

Jeez, who cares if Mikey or other pigs can fly or not.

I wanna hear speculation on the dropped charges instead! What does it all mean? Are TPS giving up on the whole thing or are they concentrating on Ford's via Lisi connection instead?

For what it's worth, it's the crown who makes the decision to withdraw charges, not the police. So it certainly can't be taken as a sign that the police are "giving up" on their investigation.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 3m
“If they start playing politics, the bureaucrats, well that’s not going to be very good" Doug Ford on FordFest permit

This seems to be the way they distribute the free booze ( from Apr 2014 ).

"so it appears they are giving out drink tickets to everyone and relying on smart serve staff to ask for ID. Efficient mayor party."
https://twitter.com/robochodo/status/456931005098520576

Ah yes, thank you. I think there was some potential voter info fill in on the drink \ meal tickets in past Fordfests iirc. Some of them were pretty funny.
I wonder if Rob or Thug will say this latest Project Traveller development means Hizzoner is totally exonerated?

For what it's worth, it's the crown who makes the decision to withdraw charges, not the police. So it certainly can't be taken as a sign that the police are "giving up" on their investigation.

But the Crown & police work together. I would assume if the Crown believes that TPS is unable to come up with better evidence, or even have leads to come up with better evidence, the Crown would drop the charges.

But the Crown & police work together. I would assume if the Crown believes that TPS is unable to come up with better evidence, or even have leads to come up with better evidence, the Crown would drop the charges.

Oh, for sure. There could be any number of reasons the charges were withdrawn, which we will likely never be privy to. But the Crown wouldn't carry on with the prosecution in the hope that the police will come up with more evidence - it doesn't work that way. If they don't have the evidence now, the charges will be withdrawn. It doesn't mean the police won't continue with the rest of their investigation.

The 2010 contribution model was a direct result of the decision not to accept corporate/institutional and union contributions...not all executives of those entities who wished contribute resided in Toronto..companies doing business in Toronto are contributing to the economy and should have an outlet to show their support, if in fact it is by an individual whose postal or telephone area is not Toronto's I fail to see the problem as long as individual limits are held to...
Oh yes, just in passing have you taken a look at Smitherman's contribution list, if you do you'll note 554 of 2240 (24.7%) contributions as outlined in TMMIS a from the "L" prefix postal code which closely approximates the 905 area code...so remember it is just not only R Ford that you are trying to stiffle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back