News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced voting was especially high in Tory-friendly Wards.

I just posted on another thread that the City released a news release stating that first day advanced polling was the highest ever. I hope the trend continues and people vote responsibly (which means no Doug Ford!)

I just posted on another thread that the City released a news release stating that first day advanced polling was the highest ever. I hope the trend continues and people vote responsibly (which means no Doug Ford!)

That's a (welcome) trend that cuts across elections at all levels - people are realizing that you can pop in to vote and be back out to your car in under five minutes. I voted yesterday and there was no line. Too easy.

They should start calling "election day" "voting deadline"

Pholks like myself are hoping tonight to see Doug's opponents become increasingly disingenuous.

Advanced voting was especially high in Tory-friendly Wards.

Yeah, Daniel Dale posted the by-ward results. Highest results were in Don Valley West, Eglinton-Lawrence, ST. Paul's and a couple of Etobicoke wards (but not Ford's). Don Valley West had 3% turnout, which sounds crazy to me.

Whereas the top ridings were 800+ votes (some over 1,000), Ward 2 was about 476; down near the bottom in terms of total votes but a bit less bad when converted to %-turnout.

The full list is here.

Taken with a grain of salt, but on Reddit the question "What event or incident happened at your job that caused a mass firing or mass quiting?" was asked today.
Here's one answer:
This didn't happen at my work but at another hospital in our network. Rob Ford has been publicly dealing with cancer recently and when he started his treatments a bunch of hospital staff got fired for improperly accessing his patient records.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...or_incident_happened_at_your_job_that/cla230k

I agree. This thread has been dedicated to opposing the Fords for four years. Now we're cool with Mayor Doug and Deputy Mayor Rob?

Absolutely not cool. You gotta be kidding me, as Thing 1 and Thing 2 would say. It would be a nightmare.

But the dude's right. The real opposition to the Fords has been spotty at best, IMO, because too many people have been OK with waiting out the clock. If Doug gets elected, those people will be forced to say, "Ok, this isn't ending" and mount serious opposition. I do believe this is true: Doug would be under constant scrutiny, likely facing an opnely hostile council, not to mention his uncanny ability to fuck up everything he touches. He would be as much a marginalized figurehead as Rob ended up, and Council would conduct its business with no regard for his so-called agenda.

John Tory, on the other hand, may actually be able to get some stuff pushed through. And what's on his agenda? The Scarborough subway and SmartTrack, aka "flushing money down the toilet" and "betting Toronto's future on a high-risk loan." One or the other would be bad enough, but both? We've really heard very little else but platitudes. For all these reasons, yeah, Tory is looking like the worse choice in some ways.

They spotted Rob going into his office this afternoon.

I felt sorry ( just a little bit ) watching Rob at the polling station yesterday. ( I assume it was close to his home. )

Nice to know he still has the pep to also visit City Hall.

Absolutely not cool. You gotta be kidding me, as Thing 1 and Thing 2 would say. It would be a nightmare.

But the dude's right. The real opposition to the Fords has been spotty at best, IMO, because too many people have been OK with waiting out the clock. If Doug gets elected, those people will be forced to say, "Ok, this isn't ending" and mount serious opposition. I do believe this is true: Doug would be under constant scrutiny, likely facing an opnely hostile council, not to mention his uncanny ability to fuck up everything he touches. He would be as much a marginalized figurehead as Rob ended up, and Council would conduct its business with no regard for his so-called agenda.

John Tory, on the other hand, may actually be able to get some stuff pushed through. And what's on his agenda? The Scarborough subway and SmartTrack, aka "flushing money down the toilet" and "betting Toronto's future on a high-risk loan." One or the other would be bad enough, but both? We've really heard very little else but platitudes. For all these reasons, yeah, Tory is looking like the worse choice in some ways.
Yes, Doug would be under scrutiny, but the whole sideshow would continue as it did even when Rob was reduced to figurehead status. We don't need that going on for another four years.

I'm not thrilled with Tory (or Chow), but no way do I want to see another Ford put on that chain of office.

Doug and Rob annoy me so much that I haven't watched a single debate--just read about it later!

That being said, the Newstalk 1010 debate is starting right now. There's another one in Pakdale-High Park starting at 6 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back