News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also not accepted in WASPy social circles for much of the 20th century: Poles, Ukrainians, Russians, Greeks, Italians, Chinese, Portuguese, Brazilians, the Irish, Roman Catholics, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Hindus, Muslims, black people of any origin, and poor people.

I can see why someone would seek to change their identity in the search for a new life, but going from Judaism to Russian Orthodox makes zero sense for all the "acceptance" it would buy you in the new world. Besides, someone already posted that Karla's family all sported Christian names, long before coming to Canada. Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

Far more likely that the word "Orthodox" was completely misunderstood - either by Doug when he dropped the J-bomb, or by his wife, who doesn't strike me as particularly bright.

Oh I totally agree; the whole story is just bizarre but that's what Karla said about her grandmother, and I think that it's inappropriate to be arguing about whether or not someone (who is now dead and can't speak for themselves) was/is Jewish, or anything else. Are we going to do a whole Ford family history to see what else is going on there? Who cares.

You don't know very much about Jews and their history in Eastern Europe do you?

And pointing to the example of WASPy Toronto country clubs to defend the Fords is just ludicrous. The few who did convert generally came from more assimilated Central European rather than Eastern European backgrounds, and if they were doing it for social mobility reasons, they'd join a high status Protestant church like the Anglicans or United Church, not an immigrant church like Eastern Orthodox or a low-status fundamentalist one like the Pentecostals.

Conversion to the church that endorsed pogroms, in the heart of traditional Yiddish-speaking Eastern Europe, was almost unheard of. So the story isn't nearly as "plausible" as you think.

I'm "an actual Jewish person" and I think you are full of crap.

KoK...United Church? Are you sure? Anyone who joined there must have been selfhating.....

Oh I totally agree; the whole story is just bizarre but that's what Karla said about her grandmother, and I think that it's inappropriate to be arguing about whether or not someone (who is now dead and can't speak for themselves) was/is Jewish, or anything else. Are we going to do a whole Ford family history to see what else is going on there? Who cares.
Have you not been paying attention? It was done.

Also not accepted in WASPy social circles for much of the 20th century: Poles, Ukrainians, Russians, Greeks, Italians, Chinese, Portuguese, Brazilians, the Irish, Roman Catholics, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Hindus, Muslims, black people of any origin, and poor people.

When I was hired there were no women or visible minorities on Operations. Not even in Communications. I didn't do the hiring, that's just the way it was back then.

But, although I no longer recall the exact words, they were similar to these ( that I read recently ) during training at the academy: "If you treat anyone with disrespect or unfairness, your ass will be mine....I cannot change your beliefs, but I can change your employment!”

Last edited:
I’ve never heard that version of the story; I always heard it was Catholic. Also, apparently not true:

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=b6c86e91-cd42-4309-b5e7-0fbf10b2ebb1&sponsor=

excerpt:

Which brings us to High Park. Did the Howards actually stipulate that a Catholic should never be mayor? Colborne House curator Karen Edwards says no.

The land was deeded to the city in two instalments over a period of 17 years. Both donations were notarized.

"The museum has copies of John's will and the conveyances from 1873 and 1890," she writes in an e-mail, "None of the three documents include anything about a Catholic mayor."

I stand corrected...My version comes from grandmother, everytime we passed the park while on the Queen/Long Branch car she'd tell the story..she never tired of telling her version to whoever would listen....

KoK...United Church? Are you sure? Anyone who joined there must have been selfhating.....

The United Church was formed from four denominations of Protestants in 1925 (Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregational, Union). If you are referring to their stance on Israel/Palestine that was only in the last decade or so. If you wanted to join the most antisemitic church at the time, it would be Orthodox.

Last edited:
I stand corrected...My version comes from grandmother, everytime we passed the park while on the Queen/Long Branch car she'd tell the story..she never tired of telling her version to whoever would listen....

And my Dad used to scare the heck out of me with stories about Grenadier Pond.

There were a lot of scary stories about that park, and some were true! ;)

Also Greg, given that Mr. Howard was born in 1803, the idea of a Jewish mayor was not likely even on the radar back then.

The United Church was formed from four denominations of Protestants in 1925 (Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregational, Union). If you are referring to their stance on Israel/Palestine that was only in the last decade or so.

Runs deeper than that..... please don't persue it.....thanks

And my Dad used to scare the heck out of me with stories about Grenadier Pond.

There were a lot of scary stories about that park, and some were true! ;)

Also Greg, given that Mr. Howard was born in 1803, the idea of a Jewish mayor was not likely even on the radar back then.

Like the platoon of grenadiers who drowned in the pond because the ice was too thin...
Or the quicksand in the northwest corner of the pond just waiting to slurp up the unready...

I think it's only a matter of time before Toronto creates an official mayoral residence. We already have them at the federal and provincial levels.

Even Detroit has Manoogian Mansion, official residence of the Mayor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick#Manoogian_Mansion_party

"...a wild party involving strippers at the Manoogian Mansion, the city-owned residence of the mayor of Detroit."

Sounds like quite the party pad!

The new mayor could move into one of the city residences it already owns:

Campbell House
Campbell_House_Museum.jpg

Colborne Lodge
20-86.jpg

MacKenzie House
450px-Mackenzie_House1.jpg

Casa Loma
969abd084c63b49f9c758b8aeca5-473x315.jpeg

Or an apartment at Regent Park
leslieville-and-north-008.jpg
Regent-Park-Phase-1-development-at-Parliament-and-Dundas-February-15-2011-IMG_2043.jpg

Attachments

• Campbell_House_Museum.jpg
    Campbell_House_Museum.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 727
  • 20-86.jpg
    20-86.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 450px-Mackenzie_House1.jpg
    450px-Mackenzie_House1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 677
  • 969abd084c63b49f9c758b8aeca5-473x315.jpeg
    969abd084c63b49f9c758b8aeca5-473x315.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 653
  • leslieville-and-north-008.jpg
    leslieville-and-north-008.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 708
  • Regent-Park-Phase-1-development-at-Parliament-and-Dundas-February-15-2011-IMG_2043.jpg
    Regent-Park-Phase-1-development-at-Parliament-and-Dundas-February-15-2011-IMG_2043.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back