8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my addendum to the post you quoted.
Ah. If I wasn't, for example, Fosterite, and I send my children to the state-funded Fosterite School Board, I'd have no qualms about voting for FSB councillors, even if I disagreed with their sinful ways.

The law says that if you die before 8 pm tonight, then even if you win, the number 2 choice is elected. But if you die after 8 pm, and you win, it's a by-election.

They've probably got him hidden way on life-support somewhere ...

What a macabre thought!

Should a thread 'After The Fall of the House of Ford' spin off from this thread, would you be so kind as to link from this one. I'm really not liking losing access to the wonderfully quirky, inciteful minds here.

I voted last week and have persuaded everyone I can to get out and vote so there is only one thing left to do: Scream FORD! FORD! FORD!* Here's hoping they're rendered entirely irrelevant by day's end.

*Fuck Off Rob and Doug.

It just occurred to me that he would probably draw Jan Wong in a Mao suit as well.

Would he? Isn't part of the "humour" here, comparing Jack Layton to Uncle Duke? That doesn't work as well with Jan Wong.

I assume the lemur means because it would be accurate for a portion of her history, if Donata had a reason to refer to Jan Wong (extract from Amazon.com follows):

Red China Blues: My Long March From Mao to Now

by Jan Wong

Jan Wong, a Canadian of Chinese descent, went to China as a starry-eyed Maoist in 1972 at the height of the Cultural Revolution. A true believer--and one of only two Westerners permitted to enroll at Beijing University--her education included wielding a pneumatic drill at the Number One Machine Tool Factory. In the name of the Revolution, she renounced rock & roll, hauled pig manure in the paddy fields, and turned in a fellow student who sought her help in getting to the United States. She also met and married the only American draft dodger from the Vietnam War to seek asylum in China.

Red China Blues is Wong's startling--and ironic--memoir of her rocky six-year romance with Maoism (which crumbled as she became aware of the harsh realities of Chinese communism); her dramatic firsthand account of the devastating Tiananmen Square uprising; and her engaging portrait of the individuals and events she covered as a correspondent in China during the tumultuous era of capitalist reform under Deng Xiaoping. In a frank, captivating, deeply personal narrative she relates the horrors that led to her disillusionment with the "worker's paradise." And through the stories of the people--an unhappy young woman who was sold into marriage, China's most famous dissident, a doctor who lengthens penises--Wong reveals long-hidden dimensions of the world's most populous nation.

In setting out to show readers in the Western world what life is like in China, and why we should care, she reacquaints herself with the old friends--and enemies of her radical past, and comes to terms with the legacy of her ancestral homeland.

I forget the exact context but it was something like Donato was implying that Miller was authoritarian or shutting down dissent or something. It was a real stretch in any case.

Yeah, and kinda lazy IMO. I mean it's so cliche'd and overused. Attilla the Hun is starving for work too ya know, why does it always go to Adolf? Adolf! Adolf! Adolf! Marsha Marsha Marsha!

If Olivia is riding on Jack's coat-tails, what is Doug doing? His whole shtick (as Karla's grandma might have said) is about what 'WE' did, when it's just stuff Rob was claiming to have done. I realize neither of them actually achieved much of anything, but still.

Doug is using the royal "We", perhaps.

I love making people cringe in casual conversation by pointing out that RoFo literally said "you wanna fuck my wife?" Even for someone as terrible as he is, it takes things into a different realm of terribleness. Die soon, please.

You're making me think of Eddy Izzard's take on the difference between British and American movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjC3R6jOtUo

I am voting with my heart (Chow), with no fear of Druggo getting in. This is from someone who has strategically voted in the past when needed.

I am not placing a ton of stock in the polls. I believe that Ford will be lower than he is polling, potentially substantially, likely in 3rd place and as mentioned earlier, below 20%. I think Chow has more support than the polls show.

I would be a metric ton more surprised to see Doug win before Chow. Even if the polls are taken as somewhat accurate, for Chow to pass Tory, she is going to have to pull lots of votes from Tory. Tory would come down quite a bit, but Chow would go up quite a bit, surpassing Doug. If she doesn't pull enough voters from Tory, Tory still wins. There is no going up the middle for Doug, he is too far behind Tory. At worst it will make it a tighter result, with Tory coming in lower than polled, and Chow higher, with Ford steady and a Tory mayoralty.

That being said, I do think that the strategic vote-Tory-lest-Ford movement will be the decisive factor when all is said and done. Chow really bungled her opportunity to be the champion of that block.

Yep, I agree. I'm also voting for Chow as I just can't bring myself to vote for Tory. I really don't like the man, so I'm sticking to my guns and hoping for the best.

Would he? Isn't part of the "humour" here, comparing Jack Layton to Uncle Duke? That doesn't work as well with Jan Wong.

It does if you remember that Jan Wong actually spent time in China in her youth and admitted to being indoctrinated to the point of reporting a classmate who had asked her for help in escaping to the West. And she wore a Mao suit during that time.

I don't think it's an allusion to Layton as Uncle Duke. I doubt Donato reads Doonesbury - he'd probably find it an 'elitist' strip with 'too many words'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back