News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
he will always be a mayor, like the former presidents of the United States are perpetually "Mr. President".
Anyways, nothing to be learned by trying to sanitize the past. We must bear this scar of shame as part of our city's history.

That might have been the case..... But then he went and got himself elected. "Councillor Rob Ford" is back.. There can only be one mayor in chambers.

My optimistic hope for Rob is #3. Maybe the mayoralty had to end before charges. For example, perhaps lesser charges than extortion or dealing may now feasibly be brought, where the police and crown did not want to go there while Rob was mayor. I really hope Rob lives long enough for a handcuff perp walk.

Same here. Call it petty, vindictive, maybe asking too much of the universe which at least granted a small mercy of Doug not being mayor on Monday night. But IMO one of the most damaging things Rob has done to the city, among many, is the absolute I'M DA MAYOR, SO EFF YOU he gives to law and order. Especially considering he's the one that hypocritically screams about not wasting hugs on thugs.

But, let's not get too down. Maybe it really was just running interference for Rob to get back in Ward 2. But Doug did -NOT- win the 2014 merryl bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

My optimistic hope for Rob is #3. Maybe the mayoralty had to end before charges. For example, perhaps lesser charges than extortion or dealing may now feasibly be brought, where the police and crown did not want to go there while Rob was mayor. I really hope Rob lives long enough for a handcuff perp walk.

And to those trying to close down the thread, I don't think it can until that happens.

Let's hope you're right. I really want to see Rob charged with something, even if it's jaywalking. Enough with the free passes for this white trash family.

What can be done about the returning of expired incumbents!?! Is there any hope for developing a system that protects against this? How?

He sure is dispensing some exceptional fresh baked word turds tonight though!

On Ford’s threat to run again in 2018:

“Nobody knows what they are doing in four years let alone in four minutes so the prospect is just as viable as any other. But the good news for voters is that Rob Ford has his mind set on being on council and keeping his eye on the cookie jar.â€

Rob being a councillor only assures a very public decline and death.

That might have been the case..... But then he went and got himself elected. "Councillor Rob Ford" is back.. There can only be one mayor in chambers.

I would not be surprised if Rob wants to play the Official Royal Loyal Mayor In Opposition. Doesn't matter if the title doesn't exist, he will conjure it out of thin air. Ie: Director of Logistics.

What can be done about the returning of expired incumbents!?! Is there any hope for developing a system that protects against this? How?

Ranked ballots would help. For instance, in Ward 44 sleeping Ron Moeser got in with only 26% support, only 1 of 4 that voted wanted him.

Look how low voter turnout was in the wards that supported Doug in North Etobicoke and most of Scarborough.
http://politics.theglobeandmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/turnout.png

With a better turnout in those wards, he would have won:
http://politics.theglobeandmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/turnout-ford.jpg

I think that's a bit of a flawed argument - assuming that if the non-voters in these area had voted, they would be strongly for Doug. The fact that they didn't vote tells you that they're not part of Ford Nation. Anyone who didn't vote in this election is truly apathetic about municipal politics.

Very true, but it's been a very long trend. My wife is French and her first Toronto job was with TD GM Visa in the mid-90s, on Richmond & Bay.

There've been a number of notable exoduses (exodii?) of Anglos from Quebec (mainly Montreal) to the GTA, notably around big political movements. There was one in the early-mid 70s, and that's when we moved to Mississauga from Pointe-Claire. That was the result of the October crisis. There was one in the mid-90s, when my wife's parents moved away from Baie D'Urfé, and that was over Meech Lake.

The difference in the current exodus (due to the brief Marois regime, and general economic lousiness and regrowth of the small town pro-separatism) is that this time a lot of Francophones are going, too. The climate of extremism is making it an issue for progressives and anyone who doesn't buy into the "all of our problems are because we forced to acknowledge Anglos".

And aside from call centres and bilingual positions, companies once headquartered in Montreal are now in the process of moving elsewhere. Air Canada has shifted a lot of its Ops to Toronto, and the large pharma companies have begun to shift as well. In a few years, Quebec's economy will look to be in serious trouble.

We need ranked ballots - and term limits! Incumbents have it too easy. How the hell did Mammoliti get re-elected.

We've already had the decline, now it's just a death watch.
Plus I don't think Rob will play second fiddle very well.

Just a death watch? Have we entirely given up on an arrest watch?

We need ranked ballots - and term limits! Incumbents have it too easy. How the hell did Mammoliti get re-elected.

And David Shiner and, overall, only one incumbent lost.

I'm happy Tory won but overall found the results VERY depressing. Useless, insane councillors got re-elected; Rob Ford got re-elected and Domise wasn't even close; Mike Ford got elected and between them I don't know if the two Fords spent even a day campaigning.

Things will undoubtedly be better with Tory as mayor but it wasn't the clean sweep I hoped for, especially when I saw the high turnout. Any sane person (Which is to say 2/3 of the city) knew the Fords had to be kicked out but overall, it's the same old thing down there. People learned the most obvious and simplistic lesson from all that's happened, but nothing else.

Last edited:
Listen to AM640 this morning to hear Ford Nation blow a gasket! They're enraged lol.

Even though their men overachieved relative to "elitist" expectations?

Well, you can't expect Pollyanna from people whose brains are made of Polyfilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back