News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Still seems to be quite a bit of work to be done on the cladding, podium, and of course the interiors. Wonder when move-in dates start and when we can expect the Metro to reopen.

This whole scene is just a total ClusterF#&k, in my opinion.
DJI_0433-HDR.jpg

Eh, the building isn't pretty but its the random brick patches that move this from being a bottom of the mid-tier category to just WTF and a stain on downtown.

Hopefully someone goes up on the parking lot beside the blank wall though because those things are a travesty in my opinion. They should either FORCE murals as a condition of that tight to the lot line or force articulation/set-backs and windows.

Rideau has turned out quite terribly over the last 20 years, almost exclusively thanks to Claridge, with a little Ashcroft as the rotten cherry on top. At least the Rideau facing ground level is above average, far better than the Plazas.

Parking lot + LCBO owned by Rimap, buildings of the AC, Moxy and Renaissance Marriotts u/c around the Downtown area.

I am dating an Azerbaijani student who has only been here since September. Her first apartment was on Rideau in one of the Claridge Plazas. She broke her lease within a month and moved over to Hull because she was traumatized by living on Rideau. She said she could never have imagined life in Canada to be like that.

I HATE THESE RANDOM PATCHES. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP. I agree that without the random patches, it would've been very meh, mid-tier OK looking building. But with them, it just becomes ugly and mismatched... like What Were They Thinking?

I HATE THESE RANDOM PATCHES. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP. I agree that without the random patches, it would've been very meh, mid-tier OK looking building. But with them, it just becomes ugly and mismatched... like What Were They Thinking?
I'd really like a conversation with the architect or someone from Claridge to try and understand wtf they are thinking. Are they trolling us, or they truly think this is a masterpiece? Save your money, make it uniform.

Steinberg! I believe Metro acquired a number of former Steinberg's stores when the chain went bankrupt years ago. Nothing to do with this store of course, and there may be no relation at all but still, seeing the name brought back memories of shopping at Steinberg's back in the day!

Steinberg! I believe Metro acquired a number of former Steinberg's stores when the chain went bankrupt years ago. Nothing to do with this store of course, and there may be no relation at all but still, seeing the name brought back memories of shopping at Steinberg's back in the day!
Thought the same when I noticed the store manager's name. Steinberg's was before my time though.

Steinberg was my first ever boss way back when I was a high school student working at the Metro on Rideau. I don't think there's any relation to the former owners. He was the assistant store manager at that Metro before they shut down for construction.

Steinberg was my first ever boss way back when I was a high school student working at the Metro on Rideau. I don't think there's any relation to the former owners. He was the assistant store manager at that Metro before they shut down for construction.
Nice to see some continuation from the previous store with him at the helm. How was he as an assistant manager?

Nice to see some continuation from the previous store with him at the helm. How was he as an assistant manager?
Teenage me definitely thought he was a hardass, but I've had much worse in the years since. I think he's been managing the Metro on Beechwood since the Rideau location shutdown. That Rideau location was one of Metro's busiest stores so corporate always paid close attention to it, and I think they really liked Steinberg.

Well, I showed my Girlfriend all of my least favourite 21st century projects Ottawa last night, and this was her winner for the worst, beating out Story of Lowest Bidder & Mediocrity and 1960 Snott.

Back