News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Construction financing is a complicated game of insurance, re-insurance and leverage. If they are mostly sold units, the existing contracts typically don't penalize them much if at all for changes (since they wrote them). So unless they can't sell the remaining units or their buyers walk away because its sofa king ugly, it is a win.

Sometimes it isn't really malice as much as the numbers when they started the project design versus throughout construction and completion, higher borrowing costs and construction costs can mean cheaper finishing since they aren't clocking 20% margins in the construction industry. Individual unit profit is not actually that high, they make their bank on the volume of units they are developing.

I can't comment on how much an individual company is making. I can comment generally that construction companies profit margins are typically quite small at the end of the day. Cost estimates when these companies put millions on the line are just estimates and if a project is operating below 5% of profit margin small changes can make a project more or less not worth having done in the first place. Any PMs from really any industry can chime in to talk about how quickly estimates go out the window when the real work starts.

Also note that the "worth" of companies doesn't mean Claridge has 2 billion dollars in the bank, they would have a bunch of illiquid land assets, other RE etc, they are also private so that worth really means nothing unless they sold and they would be carrying very substantial debt at any given point. They are likely on the hook with a financier/bank for some sort of loan repayment schedule where cashflow can become king and mean they need to finish specific project milestones.

For your second question, I'll get a bit philosophical which I try to avoid on forums.

I would argue that is mostly because the electorate is generally uneducated on any industry (including non-construction). That isn't a criticism, it is just reality. A councilor is inherently political which means they answer to the electorate, regardless of if the electorate knows what kind of questions they should be asking. If you talk to the average voter/neighbour they will give you some really hot takes on what the city/province/feds should be doing. Recognize that a politician has an easier path to appeal to the emotional, non-informed vote than a knowledgeable person and it is much easier to use "common sense" than to read/do real research and formulate coherent policies/strategies, especially when you sit for only a short time.

The question I would ask you in reverse, why do people believe that developers SHOULDN'T be in constant contact with councilors. Heck council is their biggest hurdle to completing their jobs and I would argue they would be an absolutely shit-tier company if they WEREN'T constantly trying to manage a stakeholder that is prone to wild mood swings and can derail their whole business with little to no accountability or notice.

The outright hostile approach to developers is more a consequence of the hegemony of NIMBY mindsets (even in many self-proclaimed YIMBYs) and the idea that profit is inherently dirty (and by extension profit seekers).

No, my actual work has nothing to do with construction but I do roll in various circles with people who do own various sizes of construction companies (in Ottawa and GTA) and have enough general business discussions with these types of folks.

It's getting wackier and wilder and zanier by the day!
1000023839.jpg

this has to be illegal...I'm not deep in construction but this smells of a company that ordered too much of one thing and really tries to push it on other projects to recover lost material costs at this point.

Make it all beige, or all charcoal or full vertical lines. Enough of these random shapes & sizes, this isn't a game of Tetris!

Or even charcoal at the bottom and beige at the top (where it gets more sun).

They used a bunch of different materials on Tribeca, but they did it in a way that was coherent and looked decent. Go back to that.

The podium looks decent at least, and that's arguably the most important part.

Back