News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The silence on this project is deafening.
Has this ever progressed to a "project" stage? Afaik this is merely speculation driven by campaign promises. There was never a serious metrolinx directive to initiate EAs or even business case studies since as far back as I can remember

Has this ever progressed to a "project" stage? Afaik this is merely speculation driven by campaign promises. There was never a serious metrolinx directive to initiate EAs or even business case studies since as far back as I can remember

No.

Much as our discussion in other subway expansion threads, the issue here is cost, and realism etc.

No matter one's preferences on mode for various projects, this one would come in at #4 at best (behind OL/RL, Yonge North, and Line2/SSE) and probably behind Eglinton West to the Airport)

As such, it should more than likely be dropped from even the 20-year plans; and if retained at all, it should be only eastward to VP for which there is a business case given the large employment and residential node.

Anything east of that is 30 years in the offing.

Not even the Ford government can be bothered to even pretend that their considering extending this line.

The earliest I see this being extended is 2040, assuming it’s constructed concurrently with the Relief Line Long.

No.

Much as our discussion in other subway expansion threads, the issue here is cost, and realism etc.

No matter one's preferences on mode for various projects, this one would come in at #4 at best (behind OL/RL, Yonge North, and Line2/SSE) and probably behind Eglinton West to the Airport)

As such, it should more than likely be dropped from even the 20-year plans; and if retained at all, it should be only eastward to VP for which there is a business case given the large employment and residential node.

Anything east of that is 30 years in the offing.

I’d put it behind Eglinton East LRT (remember, it’ll have higher ridership than SSE) and the East Bayfront LRT as well. The Sheppard Line really has no reason to exist with RER and DRL Long

I hope after Eglinton opens people will warm to the idea of subway to lrt conversion. Or if the Ontario line uses a new tech then I am ok with a conversion to that as well. The subway never made sense and someone needs to somehow fix the mess vs just letting it sit and or throwing more money at it using the same tech creating future expansion problems.

This was the plan pre sheppard lrt. there are some files from the early 2000s floating about out there.

I hope after Eglinton opens people will warm to the idea of subway to lrt conversion. Or if the Ontario line uses a new tech then I am ok with a conversion to that as well. The subway never made sense and someone needs to somehow fix the mess vs just letting it sit and or throwing more money at it using the same tech creating future expansion problems.
A conversion for sheppard would cost more than the line cost to built. It'll be redundant when RLL is built anyways. Keep the line as is and wait until we figure out what they're going to do with Relief Line North.

A conversion for sheppard would cost more than the line cost to built. It'll be redundant when RLL is built anyways. Keep the line as is and wait until we figure out what they're going to do with Relief Line North.
This will be the next target after the Bloor Danforth extension is built. Or even during it. This might be built if only to stop the complaints. We need to move past Scarborough at some point.

This will be the next target after the Bloor Danforth extension is built. Or even during it. This might be built if only to stop the complaints. We need to move past Scarborough at some point.
At $1 billion a kilometre (the projected cost of the now-defunct DRL, so a reasonable estimate) how can you possibly justify the cost of tunnelled traditional subways in low-density areas? How on earth would this lunacy be financed exactly, and by whom?

At $1 billion a kilometre (the projected cost of the now-defunct DRL, so a reasonable estimate) how can you possibly justify the cost of tunnelled traditional subways in low-density areas? How on earth would this lunacy be financed exactly, and by whom?
Sheppard is projected to be closer to 300-500 m/km. The DRL runs through downtown and has more stations/km, so it's obviously going to be far more expensive.

Sheppard is projected to be closer to 300-500 m/km. The DRL runs through downtown and has more stations/km, so it's obviously going to be far more expensive.
The conversion to lrt or rt technology would be costly but the cheaper cost of surface/elevated expansion would make up the cost the further it's extended. I thought people wanted transit to the zoo.

The conversion to lrt or rt technology would be costly but the cheaper cost of surface/elevated expansion would make up the cost the further it's extended. I thought people wanted transit to the zoo.
But if the relief line north is built up to Sheppard (which it will have to be), then you can keep the subway as is (or extend it to wherever the new terminus will be) and build light rail east of the DRL north terminus. Why spend an extra 1-2 billion dollars converting something when we don't even know how transit will be built in the area in the future?

Who knows, but then, maybe a subway to the zoo will actually make fiscal sense.

Back