News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Maybe you should organize a drive-thru protest like those folks in Oakville did against their power plant.

Ontario's Power Supply picture has changed considerably since 2005. The link you posted is out of date.

This is the current picture (2010): http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteShared/images/gen_by_fuel_yearly_output-2010.png

I excluded nuclear, because technically it is a "fossil fuel", but an emissions free source of energy.

I don't agree that all power should be generated within the township boundaries. Power plants should not be located near residential areas, and if they are, they should have a substantial (2km+) buffer zone around them

Most of these gas power plants have a good buffer zone around them:

Brampton/Goreway - 1.5 KM buffer zone from nearest residential
Milton/Halton Hills - Mainly around agricultural lands
Toronto/Portlands - 850 meters from nearest home

Not the case with this project:

Mississauga/Greenfield South - 180 meters from a residential community

The area is a mix of industrial/commercial and residential. For example, there are apartment lofts in the Dunwynn Centre, which is located a couple of hundred meters from the site, which I'm sure not many people are aware of.

Nanticoke is a candidate for the re-located plant.

There's also a fully constructed oil power plant near Port Hope at Wesleyville which was NEVER put into service. They should take a look at the costs of retrofitting that plant.

http://wikimapia.org/11640909/Wesleyville-GS-Ontairo-Power-Generation

I thought this thread was dead until we found out which community was gonna win "Dalton's Gas Plant for Life" lottery....but your latest post reminded me of earlier one from you where you declared what you thought was a reasonable buffer....are you redefining that? It also reminded me that you did not respond to my question about what you feared living so close to this plant that would not be an issue 2km away or, now, 850 m away?

Maybe Natural Gas should be banned within the Mississauga city limits until further study. It might be costly what with all the conversion of appliances to electric and all but obviously there is some concern in Mississauga about heating water with natural gas. Rather than causing needless deaths and suffering to the Mississauga population we should ban it now. People are running their furnaces, stoves, ovens, dryers, and hot water heaters with the windows and doors closed. How long are we going to continue to put people at risk.

Last edited:
no one wants a power plant due to air quality , the eco nuts don't want wind turbines !!!! what is the answer to our power needs ??? cold fusion in a box generator lol....

Maybe Natural Gas should be banned within the Mississauga city limits until further study. It might be costly what with all the conversion of appliances to electric and all but obviously there is some concern in Mississauga about heating water with natural gas. Rather than causing needless deaths and suffering to the Mississauga population we should ban it now. People are running their furnaces, stoves, ovens, dryers, and hot water heaters with the windows and doors closed. How long are we going to continue to put people at risk.

I think Mississauga did more than its fair share of bearing the burden of power generation with the dirty coal plant at Lakeview for 50 years, thank you very much. I think it's someone else's turn. Brampton for instance. Or Vaughan. Or Burlington or Hamilton.

no one wants a power plant due to air quality , the eco nuts don't want wind turbines !!!! what is the answer to our power needs ??? cold fusion in a box generator lol....

Nuclear in concert with energy efficiency/conservation.

I think Mississauga did more than its fair share of bearing the burden of power generation with the dirty coal plant at Lakeview for 50 years, thank you very much. I think it's someone else's turn. Brampton for instance. Or Vaughan. Or Burlington or Hamilton.

Jarrek seems pretty up on this stuff......and, as he points out, there is a 839MW plant in Brampton (the cancelled subject of this thread was supposed to be 280MW).

Now, Jarrek does also point out it is 1.5km to the nearest house (inside his 2k limit but further than the cancelled plant in Mississauga....but you have to wonder if you need a 2km buffer - again I don't know the logic in that number - from a 280MW plant....do you then need a 6k buffer from a 839MW plant?)....but, to answer your question, I think Brampton is already doing "its bit" with this much bigger plant and its outdated waste to energy plant which the Region of Peel just voted to keep alive for 5 more years at a cost (relative to the other garbage disposal option) of over $30 million. http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/article/1222233--peel-considers-five-year-deal-with-algonquin

So it isn't the plant, it is the act of generating power that Mississauga has done enough of? You would trade the steel mills for the power plant then? I think the province should mandate that by a certain time frame each municipality must generate within its borders enough power to meet 25% needs or something along those lines. Didn't the port lands do enough dirty work for the city? Senseless NIMBYism needs to stop.

I don't think they can order it closed. It has all the necessary approvals in place. To cancel the plant they need to make a deal with the company that the company finds acceptable. If the company delays construction the delay costs them money so the company isn't likely to volunteer to do that. The province will need to come to the table with money to provide alternate sites, fund the environmental assessments, get the permits, pay for the work already completed, pay for loss of income due to delay, pay a portion of the new plant. The negotiations will take months and then members of the opposition will need to support the deal. With a minority the deal definitely isn't a sure thing, but I have no doubt the Liberals will at least get it to a vote.

I don't think they can order it closed. It has all the necessary approvals in place. To cancel the plant they need to make a deal with the company that the company finds acceptable. If the company delays construction the delay costs them money so the company isn't likely to volunteer to do that. The province will need to come to the table with money to provide alternate sites, fund the environmental assessments, get the permits, pay for the work already completed, pay for loss of income due to delay, pay a portion of the new plant. The negotiations will take months and then members of the opposition will need to support the deal. With a minority the deal definitely isn't a sure thing, but I have no doubt the Liberals will at least get it to a vote.

I think you could have your lawyer write them a letter that basically said:

- as per our promise in the election we just won...we intend to cancel and move this project
- we will, of course, negotiate the amendments to this project (including cost, location, etc) in good faith with you
- we hereby put you on notice that any costs associated with the current deal and location will be tabulated to today's date....any work you put into this current location until a new direction is reached will not be re-imubursed.
-govern yourselves accordingly

At the very least, you could instruct other taxpayer money dependant bodies not to facilitate any further work. So, as an example, if Hydro were not there to lift power lines or police were not there to control intersections and halt/direct traffic....it is hard to imagine how they could ever have moved that big generator in!

They showed it on the news tonight......that thing is well along the way and it is hard to see how you could stop it now!

Well, instead of cancelling the plant, which is a non-starter, what about having the province paying for pollution control at a step above the regulatory requirement? And before we complain too much about emissions - keep in mind most residential heating/hot water is provided by natural gas.

AoD

- we hereby put you on notice that any costs associated with the current deal and location will be tabulated to today's date....any work you put into this current location until a new direction is reached will not be re-imubursed.
-govern yourselves accordingly

Contracts require two parties to sign. The province simply doesn't have the legal justification to demand anything. The province can say that costs will be tabulated to today's date but it takes the other party to agree to that to make it so. I can send you a letter right now giving notice that you will buy my crappy laptop for $1500 and that for every day you argue that fact you will be charged an additional $50... but that doesn't make it true. This company has all the signatures they need to proceed and so the province needs to make the deal sweeter than what the company could reasonably expect to make in profits.

Back