News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

QUESTION; Who owns the Walkway - from Union Station to Convention Centre to near CN Tower? It DOES need some tidying up as it has leaks in several places and the windows are in poor shape, and dirty too! Is it City property or ???

It is private property that will potentially be torn down in the near future.

Does anyone know what "they" are now doing on/under Simcoe Street between Front and the new underpass? I initially thought they were bringing the trunk sewer up to Front Street but it looks too major for that - lots of rebar etc.
Clearly this new underpass is not now going to open "in July 2008" - has anyone seen a new date?

Does anyone know what "they" are now doing on/under Simcoe Street between Front and the new underpass? I initially thought they were bringing the trunk sewer up to Front Street but it looks too major for that - lots of rebar etc.
Clearly this new underpass is not now going to open "in July 2008" - has anyone seen a new date?

Thats what it looks like. Saw it while riding the GO the other day... looks like some sort of cut and cover is being done on the north side of the train tracks. The trench doesn't go directly up to Front, only partially.

August 4, 2008

DSC03405.jpg

Thats what it looks like. Saw it while riding the GO the other day... looks like some sort of cut and cover is being done on the north side of the train tracks. The trench doesn't go directly up to Front, only partially.

Actually the trench does go right up to Front Street, from looking at it again yesterday it looks like a continuation of the sewer but....

The City has also got plans to install traffic lights at Simcoe and Bremner, I assume these will go in before the road is opened. It does look as though it's getting ready for paving soon.

It is private property that will potentially be torn down in the near future.
In order to be replaced with PATH I hope? It's a very convenient way to get from the Intercontinental to Union after a Christmas party without trudging through the snow :D

Tunnel should be enclose by month end
2856335621_b9eb926682.jpg

2856335479_96e3844911.jpg

Concrete barrier installed to block access to unstart sidewalk indicating road will open before sidewalk is built this year. Sidewalk will be built in 2009
2856335343_90de602889.jpg

2856335049_7dbc3c7c76.jpg

Concrete barrier installed to block access to unstart sidewalk indicating road will open before sidewalk is built this year. Sidewalk will be built in 2009

I think the 'concrete barrier' is actually the kerb and has been poured, as they sometimes do, at same time as the concrete road-bed, on which asphalt will go. I suspect they will simply pour the sidewalk inside that kerb, when they get to it. Why do you think this will be in 2009? It would be rather odd to have the road opened but not the sidewalk, but it IS Toronto! :)

I think the 'concrete barrier' is actually the kerb and has been poured, as they sometimes do, at same time as the concrete road-bed, on which asphalt will go. I suspect they will simply pour the sidewalk inside that kerb, when they get to it. Why do you think this will be in 2009? It would be rather odd to have the road opened but not the sidewalk, but it IS Toronto! :)

The city doesn't like pouring concrete for sidewalks after October. The city stop sidewalk construction in mid Nov on St Clair and put asphalt down in sections still waiting concrete.

There is no work taking place in the walkway tunnel sections as well to the south to connect to the existing sidewalk.

It will take a large push to get the sidewalk built this year and at the rate this project is moving, that will be hard. Then, if there good weather and the push, it can be done.

The concrete barriers are temporary ones. If you look closely you will see they are sitting above the road as well having a gap between them.

This from Adam Vaughn's September Newsletter:

"Work is nearing completion on the connection of Lower Simcoe and Simcoe Street
under the railway tracks. The plan for this project was a component of the redevelopment of the Railway Lands, and predates amalgamation.

The road is currently scheduled to be opened in November 2008, and the sidewalk
connection in December 2008. There will be a new bike lane operating in each direction
that will connect to and from the waterfront.

Councillor Vaughan has requested that a traffic signal be installed at the intersection of
Bremner and Lower Simcoe Streets to facilitate traffic control and pedestrian crossings.
This signal has been approved by Council and may be installed to coincide with the
street opening.

The road is currently scheduled to be opened in November 2008, and the sidewalk
connection in December 2008. There will be a new bike lane operating in each direction
that will connect to and from the waterfront.

I guess global warming has allowed a longer construction season for working with concrete.

Back