News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Follow Up - Grand Central

I checked out Wikipedia's article on Grand Central and Toronto Union Stations.

Grand Central has 1/2 the daily commuters of Toronto Union (125,000)

However, this is partially because Amtrak no longer uses GCT, it now routes all its trains to Penn Station.

But GCT has the largest suburban commuter base as it is the base of the Metro North Railroad.

In reading the articles though, this stood out to me

# of platforms

Toronto-Union 14 (28 if you count A & B)

Grand Central 44 platforms (fed by 67 tracks)

Current plan, to route the Long Island Railroad to GCT by building an
8 TRACK tunnel 140ft below ground at a cost of over $6 billion U.S.

The Long Island Railway tunnel under the East Hudson River was actually built years ago. Its two levels with the subway running above for a number of years now. They recently got the money to finish the tunnel all the way to GC and to complete the connection on the Queen's side to the Long Island Railroad mainline. Pretty impressive project. They are actually building a new terminal for these trains beneath Grand Central. We can dream.

LIRR East Side Access Project..

E7: The LIRR is now building-along with MTA Capital Construction-the East Side Access Project-as mentioned to eventually serve a new terminal deep below Grand Central Terminal. The 63rd Street Tunnel was constructed in the 70s double-deck to allow provisions for this line to be added in the future-which will allow the LIRR to access the E side of Midtown Manhattan relieving the pressure on Penn Station. The upper level of the 63rd Street Tunnel is used by the NYC Transit F and V subway lines. As I am a somewhat regular LIRR rider this will bring major changes for traveling to Manhattan in the future. LI MIKE

April 5

2391402886_8064776345_b.jpg

2390599001_4bd215f637_b.jpg

Thanks for the update CSW2424.

I thought they'd be done by now. It looked nearly done around January. Oh well.. patience is a virtue (specially in Toronto).

Shouldn't take much longer to clean up and pave the road.

Shouldn't take much longer to clean up and pave the road.

Last date I heard for the grand opening was July 1 but I have not heard whether it will be one way south (as Simcoe now is down to Front) or a two-way link, as Simcoe is below the tracks.

This project is months away from opening as there is a lot going on that cannot be seen at this time.

It is now a one way road going south with no exit to/from the walkway and a police officer has to open the gate onto Station St off Simcoe for traffic only that cannot read signs.

2379050626_5ccf737c76_b.jpg

Van sitting on reinforce rebar sidewalk.
2379049114_f7812ce773_b.jpg

Lack of lighting is history with the new system
2379047834_28b7b6077d_b.jpg

2378208551_aa5c9eb733_b.jpg

The sidewalks still have to be added on both sides
2379046122_0df7fea069_b.jpg

2379044312_7435848f36_b.jpg

It's very close to University, but I don't mind Simcoe becoming a major traffic arterial. Lord knows its dead enough and wide enough.

What's up with the sidewalk being level with the asphalt? Is that a temporary thing or are they making it easy for cars to get rid of those pesky pedestrians?

Pedestrians are restricted to the west side and ONLY to go to the garage. You cannot get into Station Street or the Skywalk from Simcoe at the moment. The sidwalk/road are 'merged' on the east side - presumably while the work continues to pave the new road.

I think it makes the most sense for the underpass to be two-ways until Front and then the existing section should remain one-way.

As an aside, does any know what street will have access to the parking garage of Shangri-la? That block is surrounded by University (not the best street to have a garage on) and three one-way streets, so maybe they might have an interest in seeing upper Simcoe going two-ways.

that looks soo cool :cool:

Back