News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I believe that Sherway gardens subway will not happen, unless it actually crosses into Mississauga and ends, for example, at Dixie / Dundas.

Toronto council cannot afford the full cost of that extension, it will provide at best 1/3. The provincial and federal contributions are unlikely to happen unless the line crosses the municipal boundary.

So, either Mr. Smitherman included this extension just in order to harvest votes in Southern Etobicoke, and will drop it in favor of more plausible projects ... or, the Province will propose subway into Mississauga, after (and if) Smitherman becomes the mayor.

That'd be ideal, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I believe that Sherway gardens subway will not happen, unless it actually crosses into Mississauga and ends, for example, at Dixie / Dundas.

Toronto council cannot afford the full cost of that extension, it will provide at best 1/3. The provincial and federal contributions are unlikely to happen unless the line crosses the municipal boundary.

So, either Mr. Smitherman included this extension just in order to harvest votes in Southern Etobicoke, and will drop it in favor of more plausible projects ... or, the Province will propose subway into Mississauga, after (and if) Smitherman becomes the mayor.

If Hazel McCallion doesn't see the logic in cosigning on this, she should be replaced. As much as I'm persecuted for my defense of Sherway Extension, nothing would make me happier than to see a subway line enter an area of the 905 that actually has the population densities to support it.

Low-density en route aisde, this is one of the easiest subway expansion projects the city could undertake right now because of the lower costs of building above grade, fewer necessary expropriations, proximal nodes/trip generators, the possibility of highway-based BRT feeding in customers from all over the GTA, and willing private-sector partners (the owners of Honeydale and Sherway Gdns) on-board or highly likely to come on board.

As for MT buses continuing to use Kipling and Islington when East Mall opens, I doubt many, if any would. I don't know what routes would benefit from still trekking out that far east. The vast majority would probably be re-routed to East Mall. MT provides a lot of ridership to Kipling and Islington. How many people actually live in Etobicoke anyway?

According to the 2001 census, 338,117 people live in Etobicoke. I think it's safe to assume it's around 350,000 now.

I wanna respond to this thread as a transit rider who uses MT to get to Kipling/Islington. I for one would love to see an expansion of the Bloor-Danforth line more west towards the Mississauga border, but is it really gonna cost a billion dollars to accomplish that? (read the number from Munro's website) Dundas Street takes a pounding from cars, buses, trucks from the 427 off ramp to Auckland Rd and vice versa and I've always seen it as an advantage to have a stop at East Mall. It's more convenient for buses coming from 'sauga and off the 427, easier for them to not deal with traffic during the rush hours and eases the wear and tear on Dundas. As for Sherway, isn't it the only major mall in Toronto that doesn't have a subway stop in close proximity to it?

I wanna respond to this thread as a transit rider who uses MT to get to Kipling/Islington. I for one would love to see an expansion of the Bloor-Danforth line more west towards the Mississauga border, but is it really gonna cost a billion dollars to accomplish that? (read the number from Munro's website) Dundas Street takes a pounding from cars, buses, trucks from the 427 off ramp to Auckland Rd and vice versa and I've always seen it as an advantage to have a stop at East Mall. It's more convenient for buses coming from 'sauga and off the 427, easier for them to not deal with traffic during the rush hours and eases the wear and tear on Dundas. As for Sherway, isn't it the only major mall in Toronto that doesn't have a subway stop in close proximity to it?

First off, welcome to UT!

Yes, an East Mall stop would greatly benefit the traffic on Dundas street. I don't know if they are going through with the reconfiguration of the ramps at Dundas, Kipling and Bloor intersection, but if they are, then that are will be a traffic chaos! But as for extending to Sherway, the demand is always counter-peak in most cases. Most of the ridership on similar mall subway stops comes mainly from feeder buses, like always. Ex. Don Mills station on the Sheppard line, or Yorkdale station on the YUS. But there will still be demand for this station, and not as bad as many have been predicting on the forum, but it will still be lower than many subway stations.

And I really doubt that Hazel McCallion will support a subway through Mississauga, I believe she was the most vocal against building a subway to Mississauga.

And I really doubt that Hazel cCallion will support a subway through Mississauga, I believe she was the most vocal against building a subway to Mississauga.

Times change. And so do opinions. Jack Layton opposed the DRL decades ago because he was worried about the core getting flooded with people.

I am willing to bet that McCallion or her successor will change their opinions if a subway is economically feasible. I suspect that half her motivation against a subway was based on the vision that she didn't want Mississauga to lose its distinct identity and just become another Toronto suburb. But now that Mississauga is emerging as an urban centre in its own right, a subway would probably help more than hinder Mississauga's growth.

At least Smitherman did not do a "I would like to see" type of plan. There was some thought that went into it, more than the other wishful thinking the other candidates presented.

At least Smitherman did not do a "I would like to see" type of plan. There was some thought that went into it, more than the other wishful thinking the other candidates presented.
I can't believe there was much rational thought at all that went into a plan that pushed subway to Sherway, other than, let's make sure all parts of the city are covered ... though given that he does fudge all for downtown ... then perhaps I'm overestimating him even on that.

A subway to Sherway, and a subway along the SRT ROW seems like wishful thinking to me. I applaud him for wanting to electrify the ARL, and pushing forward with the Eglinton Line, and SELRT, though.

I applaud him for wanting to electrify the ARL, and pushing forward with the Eglinton Line, and SELRT, though.
... projects that don't cost the city a dime ... with the latter two have already got contracts being awarded for, are going to happen pretty much no matter who is elected. As will the Airport rail connection ... with one technology or another.

As a tool for mayoral race, Smitherman's plan is very smart. He capitalizes on most of Transit City (which gives him long lines on the map), but closes a few gaps in it, and adds relatively affordable subway extensions in 3 different corners of the city (which addresses criticism that Transit City is an LRT-fits-all plan). Most of wards are promised either some new transit running through, or subway extensions that shorten the feeder routes.

The majority of voters, unlike transit fans, will not pay much attention to little things like expected light ridership volumes on the Sheppard West and Sherway subways, or the lack of detailed funding plan.

Last edited:
I can't believe there was much rational thought at all that went into a plan that pushed subway to Sherway, other than, let's make sure all parts of the city are covered ... though given that he does fudge all for downtown ... then perhaps I'm overestimating him even on that.

Not too far from a certain mayor who pushed for LRT to all parts of the city with nothing for downtown.

Back