News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My dog has been waiting for the Firkin dog treat window to be accessible for a few months and she can’t wait for patio season next year.

View attachment 447792

They lucked out with some nice weather. Maybe put in a little overtime to get-er done.
View attachment 447791

View attachment 447790

I wonder how my barber is doing with this construction? Located beyond Tim’s.

View attachment 447796
Must say that I am amazed that they have suddenly decided to try to finish off the road surface on south side of the street, their excuse for not doing any work for many weeks was 'unknown underground equipment' but I guess they have now realised that this (if it actually exists!) is actually under the sidewalks and they could have finished the road off weeks ago. (I am actually very skeptical that there is anything unknown under the south sidewalk at Berczy Park as that section of sidewalk was rebuilt when the Park was done so IF anything is below it they really ought to know about it. The block from Scott to Yonge MAY be more complicated. I have VERY little faith in those 'managing' this project or the contractor doing the work. Let's all pray for continuing mild weather, otherwise the new concrete will not cure properly!

Last edited:
Another update of the adventuresome construction along Wellington St. The island east of the flat iron building is now paved with concrete. Was there no a better option to use pavers?

38A34D5F-9730-47EA-B5EC-F74B6B0A982B.jpeg

Some street lights are working and some are covered up. FunnyView attachment 447992!
The working ones in your photo are old, the bagged ones are new. Why they are not working is a mystery to me - though this project has been so badly managed it may mean they forgot to add wiring :->

Work on Wellington St. continued today. Crew was working on the south sidewalk. No sign of clearing the site, but looks more continued work. I assume some business as the pub and the hair dresser down the road insisted to get their entrance back! lol

BA94EF7A-8117-492B-899B-B37682ED353F.jpeg

Work on Wellington St. continued today. Crew was working on the south sidewalk. No sign of clearing the site, but looks more continued work. I assume some business as the pub and the hair dresser down the road insisted to get their entrance back! lol

View attachment 448350
Yes, they suddenly sprung to work a few days before Christmas and, as noted above and shown in your photos, have started to get the last (southside) traffic lane ready for pouring a new concrete base and then asphalt. Of course, doing this when it is either wet or below zero is not great timing! The sidewalks will, supposedly, be temporarily asphalt until spring. (The barber etc between Yonge @ Scott and the Firkin pub actually have other entrances. The stores have entrances through the atrium of their building and the pub from Front St side but...... )

Just a heads-up:
Many / most of the venders at St. Lawrence Market are closed until January 9th.

I guess they deserve some time off.

Not surprised. Even Padaria Bakery (Junction and Midtown) are closed until the 9th. Their thinking was that if they don't take it that they would never get it.

Today, I had the opportunity to find out the latest updates regarding Wellington St. work. Main items are:

• South sidewalk work was delayed not only because of electrical wires underground. In the past there have been buildings where the Berczy park is now. Those foundations have been found under the south sidewalk which delayed work.
  • The street will receive the first layer of concrete this and potentially next week. The final asphalt layer is expected in April.
  • The south sidewalk around the flat iron building will have the pavers laid this week and next week. A tent will likely be erected to cover the working area.
  • The rest of the westwards located sidewalk will get a layer of asphalt. Final work resume in April.
  • TTC was part of the construction stakeholder meeting and inquired when they could start with the overhead wire. A start date of the work has not yet been provided.
  • The is the possibility that work is continuing over the next week wea permitting - speculation. Let’s hope for a miracle.
  • - Workers have been sent to other work sites in the past which delayed the overall project. Already well observed by @DSC :)

Photos from today:
42813BED-754C-4968-A826-0C3E79B5E68B.jpeg
320D8CB7-C08B-47DE-8A28-B8CA93AC742C.jpeg
435A9ABC-AF08-4CF4-895F-34C3EE6EAEC8.jpeg

Today, I had the opportunity to find out the latest updates regarding Wellington St. work. Main items are:

• South sidewalk work was delayed not only because of electrical wires underground. In the past there have been buildings where the Berczy park is now. Those foundations have been found under the south sidewalk which delayed work.
  • The street will receive the first layer of concrete this and potentially next week. The final asphalt layer is expected in April.
  • The south sidewalk around the flat iron building will have the pavers laid this week and next week. A tent will likely be erected to cover the working area.
  • The rest of the westwards located sidewalk will get a layer of asphalt. Final work resume in April.
  • TTC was part of the construction stakeholder meeting and inquired when they could start with the overhead wire. A start date of the work has not yet been provided.
  • The is the possibility that work is continuing over the next week wea permitting - speculation. Let’s hope for a miracle.
  • - Workers have been sent to other work sites in the past which delayed the overall project. Already well observed by @DSC :)

Photos from today:
View attachment 448525View attachment 448526View attachment 448527
Thanks for the update; the real problem is that this project has been being planned for a decade and work has been going on for water, gas, hydro, telecom and TTC for at least 8 years. In fact, the south sidewalk at Berczy was excavated several years ago and if there was anything below the street/sidewalk it ought to have been found MUCH sooner. There is clearly something wrong with the City's procedures/records if they are constantly 'finding new things' and it will be interesting to see if the City's Auditor General will look thoroughly at what went wrong not (only) to see who is to blame but to try to learn some lessons so tat they can do things better (and cheaper) in the future. Like most of us around here, I like to see the City 'renovated' but I must say that having seen how the residents, restaurants and merchants along this very short stretch of Wellington have been 'interfered with' makes me less keen about having a similar project in my more immediate neighbourhood.

BA9.6 - Award of Ariba Document 3621156462 to IBI Group Professional Services Inc., and SLA Landscape Design and Planning Inc., for David Crombie Park Improvements and The Esplanade and Mill Street Connection Cycle Track for Parks, Forestry and Recreation and Transportation Services​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 10 - Spadina - Fort York

Origin​

(January 5, 2023) Report from the Acting Chief Procurement Officer

Recommendations​

The Acting Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Proposal Ariba Document Number 3621156462, Contract Number 22-PFR-216

Description:
Provide Professional and Technical Services to design and administer construction of David Crombie Park Improvements and The Esplanade and Mill Street Connection Cycle Track during the contract term of 2022 to 2026.

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the St Lawrence Market stores is listed as being for sale on realtor.ca I understand it's Upper Cut Meats - which I often patronise.

$325,000

#UL16 -93 FRONT ST

Description

Historic Gem With A Successful Operation. Become A Part Of Toronto's Most Famous Historical Landmark & Join A Community Of Most Unique Businesses. Once In A Life Time Opportunity To Acquire A Turn Key Operation Of An Established Retailer. A Butcher Shop With Historic Location & Brand. Offering Variety Of Unique Meats With Great Potential For Growth.**** EXTRAS **** Turn Key Operation With Great Cashflow/ Profit. Financial Statements Available (30931369)

I was interested in finding out how a tenant can sell their space and the Market Manager recently directed me to the Guidelines. Others (yes, @Northern Light, I am thinking of you!) may have opinions on them. I note that they state that a tenant cannot sell their lease but they can sell 'goodwill' and fittings etc which seems fair. See: http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/rental_form/1635941427_9165.pdf

I was in there today, and one of the fish stores (the one in the southeast) was all boarded up.

Back