News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Haha true, true, at that age would likely have done the same.

I'm ashamed to say I often still do the same at 30. When I just need to insert food in mouth, Burger King is often the most affordable eat-out option. (I've got a mortgage to pay!)

In any case, I for one welcome BK to our neighbourhood. ;P

It also doesn't help with the quaint hours the Market keeps. I know they are all small vendors, but not open on Sundays in the middle of a tourist district?

One thing that always makes me a bit sad is when I see the busloads of suburban schoolkids set free in the St. Lawrence Market to buy lunch on their field trips. Almost without exception they all ignore the food vendors in the market and stream out the side doors onto Front St and head to the nearby McDonald's. I guess now they'll have a second option.

can't blame them. They have limited time and the chains are something they are familiar with.
Plus the street food is not necessarily of better quality than McDonalds, and is probably more expensive as well.

lol ... not better quality ... clearly you haven't been to many of the vendors, forget quality, there are so many better things you can get, and a lot of it isn't really much more.

lol ... not better quality ... clearly you haven't been to many of the vendors, forget quality, there are so many better things you can get, and a lot of it isn't really much more.

Where can I get a $1.39 hamburger at SLM? ;P

"Not much more" to a person who works full time in a career job can be a huge difference to a student.

It also doesn't help with the quaint hours the Market keeps. I know they are all small vendors, but not open on Sundays in the middle of a tourist district?
There's been talk of the Market opening on Sundays since the 1990s. I'm amazed it still hasn't happened and is likely one of the reasons I rarely do my grocery shopping there.

not that I don't agree that one should venture to find more interesting and unique food, but it takes time. For the students, quick, cheap and convenient is most important.
It will be misleading to say SLM is not expensive, although the selection is fantastic. Those chains often offer some sort of special deal every day, sometimes under $4. I don't think the individual stores are comparable in price. I have a 14 year old nephew who just can't have enough of KFCs, even though there are better food available. Honestly, for kids that age, they can't tell much of a difference in the quality. Nor can many adults.

I know on this forum people general frown upon chains, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with people sticking to chain restaurants. Many are simply risk averse and stingy. I know plenty of people who travel to Paris and Rome and eat subway/McDonald's every day - it is cheap and there is no surprise. For many, food is simply not that much a big deal.

not that I don't agree that one should venture to find more interesting and unique food, but it takes time. For the students, quick, cheap and convenient is most important.
It will be misleading to say SLM is not expensive, although the selection is fantastic. Those chains often offer some sort of special deal every day, sometimes under $4. I don't think the individual stores are comparable in price. I have a 14 year old nephew who just can't have enough of KFCs, even though there are better food available. Honestly, for kids that age, they can't tell much of a difference in the quality. Nor can many adults.

I know on this forum people general frown upon chains, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with people sticking to chain restaurants. Many are simply risk averse and stingy. I know plenty of people who travel to Paris and Rome and eat subway/McDonald's every day - it is cheap and there is no surprise. For many, food is simply not that much a big deal.

I agree that chains are cheaper but the market has many deals less then the typical new sandwich / drink / salad restaurants, where everything is typically $12 or more.

Yes, I agree. The market closes way too early and the Sunday/Monday closing is also unfortunate. It should at least be open to 8 or 9 pm, daily.
The Market vendors are all family businesses and want to offer the same personalised service all the hours they are open. That's their reasoning behind not opening later and being open for only 5 days a week. Would it be better for customers if the hours were extended? Probably. Would it allow merchants to maintain the same very personal service? Probably not.

The Market vendors are all family businesses and want to offer the same personalised service all the hours they are open. That's their reasoning behind not opening later and being open for only 5 days a week. Would it be better for customers if the hours were extended? Probably. Would it allow merchants to maintain the same very personal service? Probably not.

Why not make it a Monday/Tuesday closing then? I'm sure they'd get a lot more traffic on a Sunday than they currently do on Tuesdays.

edit: wrong thread

Last edited:

Back