News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Market vendors are all family businesses and want to offer the same personalised service all the hours they are open. That's their reasoning behind not opening later and being open for only 5 days a week. Would it be better for customers if the hours were extended? Probably. Would it allow merchants to maintain the same very personal service? Probably not.

Personalized service is great, but their hours make it impossible for me to ever get a chance to experience it. I go to the market maybe once a year, when I happen to be in the area, but if their hours were more convenient, I would go a lot more often! In the end I am stuck going to Loblaws, when I would prefer supporting these business's.

I think they can find a better balance between personalized service, the needs of people who own/staff small businesses, and operating hours that make sense in the 21st century.

Every time I go to the market, I don't see what's so great about it. Most of the stuff that's sold in there is garbage. Do I really need to be able to buy CANADIAN MAPLE SYRUP in 10 different forms from 10 different places for roughly all the same price?
And the bathrooms are disgusting. Tourists must come here expecting this amazing market and be quite disappointed. I know I would be.

Every time I go to the market, I don't see what's so great about it. Most of the stuff that's sold in there is garbage. Do I really need to be able to buy CANADIAN MAPLE SYRUP in 10 different forms from 10 different places for roughly all the same price?
And the bathrooms are disgusting. Tourists must come here expecting this amazing market and be quite disappointed. I know I would be.
Do you buy wine from x different places at about the same price? There are very considerable differences in grade of maple syrup but if you prefer to eat Aunt Jemima's Syrup then do so!

Though I think it 'somewhat" of an exaggeration, the St Lawrence Market was named among the 10 best food Markets in the world. See: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/food-markets/

It also doesn't help with the quaint hours the Market keeps. I know they are all small vendors, but not open on Sundays in the middle of a tourist district?

I wholeheartedly agree. On weekdays, I'm unable to leave my work until 6/6:30PM, at which point the market is already closed. Saturday is a zoo, and when I had a Monday off I was excited to go there to shop, only to find out it was closed on Sundays and Mondays. A Sunday opening would be welcome, especially since the antiques market is open in the north building across the street.

I call bull ... I know so many tourist that go who love it ... but to add I don't find the St. Larence market is the ideal tourist market, if you've been to Waterloo, you'll find the large one there better, but for a local market is amazing.

I know plenty of folks who love all the variety and there are many things you con't find else where !

Every time I go to the market, I don't see what's so great about it. Most of the stuff that's sold in there is garbage..

This seems like unnecessary hyperbole. It's got a lot of good quality food that you can't otherwise find in the area, and vendors who genuinely care about their product. On Saturdays it really is a sight to behold. Great produce in the north, and an impressive amount of quality meats, fish, and cheese in the south. I'll admit i was surprised to hear that it was the best market in the world, but I wouldn't call it mostly garbage.

I've had some of the tastiest beef I've ever bought there. I can also get some Italian chocolate that is hard to find elsewhere. I've bought terrific fruit and veggies at good prices. I avoid it at peak tourist times because I'm not a big fan of crowds, but I do enjoy shopping there on a winter Saturday morning.

I've had some of the tastiest beef I've ever bought there. I can also get some Italian chocolate that is hard to find elsewhere. I've bought terrific fruit and veggies at good prices. I avoid it at peak tourist times because I'm not a big fan of crowds, but I do enjoy shopping there on a winter Saturday morning.

I walked over there on the morning after the ice storm hit, best experience I've ever had there. It was literally me, the vendors (yes, they were all open, power never went out downtown), and maybe 20 other people TOTAL. Had a nice quiet breakfast from Paddingtons and browsed around for an hour or so. I haven't been to many markets around the world, so I can't really say if its "world class" or not, but I really enjoy living a block away from St. Lawrence Market.

It looks like Tim Hortons on Jarvis, just south of the Market, is close to opening. It looks pretty nice inside too.

I spent a couple of hours at the market today -- first time on a weekday (a rare day off!). It was great, hardly any crowds at all. Bought some kitchen gadgets, had a huge chicken parma on a bun (fortunately I had someone to share it with), picked up stuff for supper and then enjoyed a tea at Balzac's across the street -- Market St. is looking lovely these days with new sidewalks and matching planters all along the patios. Quite a pleasant experience, I think I'll do it again :)

Are they ever going to get around to illuminating the Gooderham Building, St. James Cathedral, etc?
The illumination of the St James Cathedral is, apparently, the next priority for the Cathedral. The new owners of the Flatiron Building are also interested in seeing their building illuminated and the City is looking at Section 37 funds to illuminate more of the public buildings, like the Young Peoples' Theatre. If you want to encourage this use of Section 37 funds I suggest you email Pam McConnell at councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca

Anyone surprised that Pastizza on the south side of market street looks like it's been ready for over a month and they don't open? They are missing the summer with that nice patio.

Back