News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks, just emailed her. Perhaps all of us in this group should ask her to check out these issues. I wrote as follows:
Dear Councillor McConnell:

As a new resident of the area, I'm most disappointed in the city's upkeep of this special part of the city. After all the work the last 18 months, it seems there is no upkeep or inspection of new work once completed.

I saw another one of the new Front Street heritage street lights busted today just east of Jarvis lying on the ground. What is the city doing about this? They break at the base as soon as you touch them. The bases are too small, badly designed. I count about 12 down from Parliament to Yonge. Who is at fault? Is the city taking action? Perhaps legal action against the supplier is in order.

The Esplanade that had so much promise has been abandoned with all sorts of defects. Already new concrete is being patched with asphalt. The new old town light fixtures are missing over a large stretch, because they are all breaking on Front Street due to bad design, and there are none left. The big planters are full of weeds, not plants. The new concrete bollards are a joke. At least two I know of have fallen over and been removed near Jarvis. If you look closely, many others are cracked at the base.

Does nobody take responsibility? Do we do the work and then just leave it for 20 years when it's time for the next re-do.
I'd appreciate your response to these two specific issues.

Thank you

Old Town Pole Wrap.jpg

Attachments

• Old Town Pole Wrap.jpg
    Old Town Pole Wrap.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 744
Wow, that's a bit much.
It's part if the BIAs branding of the various sub-areas inside St Lawrence. Not sure that the design outweighs the fact that these wraps do stop graffiti and postering (or make it easier to remove).

Wow, that's going to make it awfully difficult for the streetcar driver to see the temporary TTC stop signs on King.

Change of topic....

How does Biagio Ristorante (in St. Lawrence Hall) manage to stay in business? I've been a resident of the neighbourhood for over 5 years now and I have yet to ever see more than two or three tables occupied at any time. I never eaten there myself, so I can't speak to the quality of the food. In addition to being suspicious of the lack of patrons, I've always gotten a tourist trap vibe from the place.

Anyway, given how many new restaurants shut down within a year of opening, I'm always curious when I see other restaurants that seem to sustain themselves indefinitely with very few customers.

Change of topic....

How does Biagio Ristorante (in St. Lawrence Hall) manage to stay in business? I've been a resident of the neighbourhood for over 5 years now and I have yet to ever see more than two or three tables occupied at any time. I never eaten there myself, so I can't speak to the quality of the food. In addition to being suspicious of the lack of patrons, I've always gotten a tourist trap vibe from the place.

Anyway, given how many new restaurants shut down within a year of opening, I'm always curious when I see other restaurants that seem to sustain themselves indefinitely with very few customers.

The food is pretty good and on the few occasions I have eaten there it has been fairly full.

Change of topic....

I agree, Biagio is always mostly empty when I walk by, and the space is quite large and likely not cheap to rent. Their survival is a bit of a puzzle, although I assume their prices are not low, so maybe that's the secret. I notice that the demographic that does eat there tends to be on the grey-haired end of the age spectrum. I think they're just a vestige of the older pre-hipsterization Toronto restaurant scene. I would not be surprised to see their run come to an end over the next few years, though.

Last edited:
Go to Balzac's just down that little street on the east side of the market -- Market St?

Skip Balzac's (bad) and visit Fahrenheit (extremely good) a few blocks north at Jarvis & Lombard.

It's part if the BIAs branding of the various sub-areas inside St Lawrence. Not sure that the design outweighs the fact that these wraps do stop graffiti and postering (or make it easier to remove).
The Entertainment District BIA put up very similar pole wraps along King West. The pattern here is noisy, though.

Last edited:

Back