News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Some stores are giving incentives for using reusable bags. Loblaws gives you the equivalent of $0.005 or $0.01 in points (if you use their card).

Unless it's changed, it's 50 points for each reusable bag or basket you use, which is the equivalent of $0.05.

You were always paying for the bags. It's not in the markup anymore. Grocery prices are intensely competitive.

Unless it's changed, it's 50 points for each reusable bag or basket you use, which is the equivalent of $0.05.

YMMV. Some seem to think it has to be a PC grocery bag for them to give you points. Some won't remember to give them to you. I seldom got the points if ever. I don't even bother trying to argue after awhile cuz I would just get the excuse, it's not a PC bag

YMMV. Some seem to think it has to be a PC grocery bag for them to give you points. Some won't remember to give them to you. I seldom got the points if ever. I don't even bother trying to argue after awhile cuz I would just get the excuse, it's not a PC bag

I don't have any PC bags and I have never heard that excuse (and that is not supposed to be the policy anyway). I do always have to ask for the bonus points.

Urban Shocker:

I hope you're not putting plastic in green bin waste. That sorta defeats the purpose.

Though one might assume that fruit'n'veggie bags are suitably biodegradable, i.e. if you gotta use hygenic plastic at all, that's the way to go. (And I was under the impression that they *are* commonly used for green bin purposes.)

Anyone remember how iconic the plastic Loblaws bag seemed to be back in the 70s? Don Watt-stylish and handy for everything from carrying schoolbooks on down (except that the colours tended to rub off on clothing or whatever in hot'n'sweaty conditions).

In addition to the small ( free ) transparent plastic bags I get from buying fruit and veggies at the supermarket, I've also been using the plastic bags that bread and bulk apples are packaged in: lined with a few sheets of newspaper, they work a charm in the green bin.
Hmm, that's a thought ... I so seldom get them in the first place, and just put the food directly in my cart. And when I do, they typically end up with the rotting (liquified) remains in. Maybe I'll just take half-a-dozen next time to line the green-bin. Are they charging 5 cents for these too?

I'd encourage you to complain to customer service about it.

I hope you're not putting plastic in green bin waste. That sorta defeats the purpose.

That was my initial reaction, too, but at a condo meeting with reps from the City of Toronto when our green bin collection began they actually advised us to do just that. They also recommended using the small clear bags from the produce sections. Apparently they have processes in place to sort the plastic from the organics and it's not a problem.

The thought is that in condos people will be more likely to use the green bin if they can bring their waste down in bags on their way out of the building; otherwise, they'd need to bring their kitchen bin down to the garage level, dump it, bring it back up to their condo, then leave again. Pretty inconvenient if you live on a high floor. People might end up not bothering at all. In a house, however, it's probably just as easy not to use any bags.

so seldom get them in the first place, and just put the food directly in my cart. And when I do, they typically end up with the rotting (liquified) remains in.

You're brave. Better wash those veg very carefully, especially anything like lettuce you're eating raw. I feel a bit bad about it but I still put veg into those bags unless it's something like bananas or onions where you discard the outer peel anyway. I also often put raw meat into those small bags too, to prevent it from possibily contaminating veg and breads I have in the cart/bag with it. I'm all for reducing plastic bag use (and I have, drastically) but health still comes first.

As for food rotting in the bag, I doubt that would happen before you got home. That's more of a storage issue; many fruits and veg should not be stored in plastic.

Seems to defeat the purpose to force people to use bags from a certain store. Reusable bags take energy and resources to manufacture, too. I probably shop regularly at a dozen different stores... am I supposed to buy bags with each of their logos on it? Ridiculous.

Last edited:
How does it defeat the purpose? That's exactly what the City of Toronto tells you to do - to either put a small plastic bag in the little units, or a big garbage bag in the outside ones.

How does it defeat the purpose? That's exactly what the City of Toronto tells you to do - to either put a small plastic bag in the little units, or a big garbage bag in the outside ones.

I wasn't sure this was the case, but it totally is. That's awesome.

From http://www.toronto.ca/greenbin/card.htm --

Line your indoor container or outdoor green bin with a plastic bag. Please line just one or the other - not both. No special bag is required for either collection container. If you wish, you can reuse plastic grocery bags to line your indoor container. Any plastic bag (e.g. green garbage bag) can be used to line your outdoor green bin.

The guys tipping our green bin contents into the back of their trucks - and slinging the bins back onto the sidewalks - barely glance at what they're emptying into the truck, so I doubt if they'll check to see if we're using biodegradable bags even if they're mandated for use in the future.

I'm wondering if we might be headed for a Cuban-jalopy situation where we see endlessly recycled shopping bags from early 2009 all around us, eternally and forever...

Back