9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...subway-cellphone-service-coming-soon-ttc.aspx

Subway cellphone service coming soon: TTC

By Melissa Leong, National Post

The TTC says a new survey shows riders want cellphone service on the subway, and the transit commission says it will have a plan to provide it within six months.
“We will find a way to do this,†said TTC chairman Adam Giambrone, who said he has been working with telecommunications companies to equip the city’s underground stations and tunnels with cellphone and wireless Internet service.
“It’s not a matter of ‘if’. It’s a matter of ‘when’.â€
Discussions are expected to continue for at least six months to deal with technical issues before the TTC will be ready to announce a concrete plan, he said.
The initiative received a boost this week when market research landed on his desk showing that TTC riders support the idea. Fifty-nine percent of TTC
riders in Toronto are in favour of bringing cellphone service to the subways, and 24% were indifferent, he said.
Seventeen percent were opposed, saying they did not like hearing other people’s conversations and they found ringing phones noisy and intrusive.
“We see in these results that there is actually fairly firm support for cellphone service across the system.â€
Mr. Giambrone said they are still exploring how to wire the tunnels. Work inside the tunnels occurs during a limited three-hour window in the middle of the night and he does not want to take resources away from other priority projects, such as replacing tracks.
“We may be able to [mount receivers and] beam from the stations,†he said.
Next year, commuters will be able to subscribe to e-mail alerts about subway interruptions. And one day, when cellphone reception and wireless technology is available underground, TTC riders will be able to receive the notifications on their mobile devices, said Brad Ross, a spokesman for the TTC.
“There’s all sorts of benefits beyond simply being able to talk on the phone, e-mail and text,†he said.
“If you’re waiting at a station and there’s a delay, you can phone home or your boss if you’re late for work. Typically, in subway stations that are underground, you can’t do that and you often see line-ups at payphones.â€
The system will cost about $30-million and the cellphone carriers will likely foot the bill to install it, Mr. Giambrone said; installation could take two to three years.
The technology is already standard in major transit systems around the world, where its introduction has often led to wistful discussions about when the subway was the city’s “last bastion of peace and quiet†and debate about cellphone etiquette.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority rolled out a campaign asking passengers to be courteous with cellphone use after the service became available last yar.
“Peace and quiet. It has a nice ring to it,†ads in train cars read.

So, would the tunnels be CDMA, 3G or both? Or will this be one of the first steps of Bell and Telus 3G network? Still, so long as its 3G, I'm happy - means my 3g netbook would work in the Subway system :)

So, would the tunnels be CDMA, 3G or both? Or will this be one of the first steps of Bell and Telus 3G network? Still, so long as its 3G, I'm happy - means my 3g netbook would work in the Subway system :)

More than likely 3G GSM, as the roll out schedule conveniently matches with Telus and Bell's move to GSM

Just a point of info, EV-DO on CDMA (the stuff that Bellus uses) and HSDPA on GSM (the stuff that Rogers uses) are both different interpretations of the third generation of wireless technology. GSM is the stuff that uses SIM cards.

And another point of shamless self promotion, I have an article about this on Metronauts.ca

Last edited:
Yeah, my netbook has a slot for a sim card, I'm just patiently waiting till bell/telus launch there towers next year - I'm sure Toronto is in step 1, to hopefully get better data rates. (although, this is Canada, so I doubt I will get anything better then offered....)

Ah, crap. I enjoyed the uncomfortable silence on the underground TTC. Excepting the unlikely event of a subway-related accident I don't think there was a need to add more noise pollution to the underground. Now I'm going to have to hear everybody's useless conversations or turn my ipod up louder and hope I don't go deaf.

I imagine it would be fairly hard to set up a tower at a station and have the signal stay within the station, as some of it would leak into the tunnels. I imagine the way this would be set up is a tower ever station or second station, and then have some kind of device that helps boost the signals within the tunnels. A rogers tower covers 10km but needs 3 towers overlaying each other in order to get optimal service. How this applys in tunnels is something that I'm quite curious about.

Ah, crap. I enjoyed the uncomfortable silence on the underground TTC. Excepting the unlikely event of a subway-related accident I don't think there was a need to add more noise pollution to the underground. Now I'm going to have to hear everybody's useless conversations or turn my ipod up louder and hope I don't go deaf.

You might want to look into noise isolating earphones.

I hope the TTC intends this to only be used for SMS, web and emergencies, and that they put up signs asking passengers to refrain from talking on the phone. Every other person yapping on the train would be a nightmare.

I was in Tokyo recently, where cellphone service is available on the subway, but it is used exclusively for texting/emailing, and talking on the phone while on the train is considered extremely rude.

What's the situation in other major cities?

Rampant yapping isn't really an issue during rush hour or when lots of people are talking but it would bother me if there's one loud [half of a] conversation going on in an almost empty car at night when I'm trying to sleep or read.

Count me with the folks who think that it will add noise pollution to subway rides. I totally understand the benefit of having sms, email and internet access in the tunnels. I’m just worried that people will carry on loud phone conversations on the subway. I ride it daily and Torontonians, especially commuters, are generally quiet on the subway. Only occasionally do riders make a lot of noise. This will change with cell phone usage. Mix a loud cell phone talker with the background subway noise and you will have sound approaching the 100 decibel level. Having coverage in stations is fine, I can walk away.

I don't agree with wearing earphones. There are announcements occasionally that, while infrequent, are important.

one other thing to note is that in our system, there are aboveground areas where you can get reception. this means that the max time you go without a signal is about 20 or so minutes.

I was in Tokyo recently, where cellphone service is available on the subway, but it is used exclusively for texting/emailing, and talking on the phone while on the train is considered extremely rude.

What's the situation in other major cities?

Apparently on Japan's Shinkansen (HSR) trains, one of the in-train announcements is a reminder for passengers to change their cellphones to "silent mode".

... and in Hong Kong, a quarrel over the use of cellphones on public transit was the origin of the viral Bus Uncle video.

I think it's good for safety reasons, especially for people in some selected professions.

But it can easily be abused.

Hopefully 90% of the time it'll be okay ... but I can just wait to be sitting beside a high school girl having a conservation with her girl friend about how the last night with her boyfriend (or girlfriend, whatever the case may be) went.

Sorry for the stereotype but it happens on the bus all the time, and yes the specific example I used above in particular :)

But it can easily be abused.

Hopefully 90% of the time it'll be okay ... but I can just wait to be sitting beside a high school girl having a conservation with her girl friend about how the last night with her boyfriend (or girlfriend, whatever the case may be) went.

Sorry for the stereotype but it happens on the bus all the time, and yes the specific example I used above in particular :)

...or some suit on his Bluetooth babbling from Union to Finch about the vagaries of his work on the Robertson account.

I don't see any need for this - text and wireless access maybe - but I anticipate having lots of annoying people yapping. Lord forbid they'd have to read, think or listen to an iPod for 20 minutes.

Back