News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's not just stores or chains that fail. Sometimes its whole malls that fail.

Abandoned mall that was once the largest in the world

Feeling better?

Back to the business of the thread. Went to the Target at Stockyards. It was busier than I had seen it. Line up at the cashiers. However, did see empty or sparse shelves.

Pictures of that mall make me wonder if that is where the abandoned mall scene from the movie Gone Girl was filmed.

So your internal counting of store size is not really an accurate measure of the actual store size...which is fine for your own internal discussions and goals/needs but it is not accurate for the discussion (which is what I think led into this) about how big Canadian Tire stores are (however you choose to divvy up the space for your own internal measures).

But it is relevant, as all retailers measure their stores in the same way. Costco's average store is 145k square feet, and most CT's are much smaller than Costco. The average Wal Mart is also much larger than CT (Not including their superstore concept), at just over 100k square feet. We simply do not have a large enough product assortment to fill anything more than 100k sq. ft. The stores that are over that size are larger because they include a store within the store, as I already mentioned.

The only store that will have close to 130k of retail space is Edmonton, where product is currently being specifically acquired for this store only.

You saying that a 145k sq. ft space for Canadian Tire is nothing special is what lead to this discussion. By all measures, internally an externally, 145k of retail space would easily make this the largest Canadian Tire store in the country. As a result, it would carry products that no other Canadian Tire would carry, and offer services that no other Canadian Tire currently offers. The only comparison is a single store that is under construction in Edmonton. That is all.

@tuscani01 question that you may be able to answer and it relates back to that Trinity Common store.

Setting aside the differences you and I have on how we view what constitutes "store size"....I believe the Target at Trinity Common is around 130k s.f. and the floor plate of the combined CT (trying really hard to not re-stir that discussion ;) ) is 100k. The mall also has a Sports Expert and a Marks.

Is there enough synergistic savings in combined operations for CT to consider flipping over to the Target location and combining the 3 of them. If there were that might be good for RioCan as they would have to deal with +/- the same amount of newly vacant space but in already divvied up chunks. Any thoughts?

@tuscani01 question that you may be able to answer and it relates back to that Trinity Common store.

Setting aside the differences you and I have on how we view what constitutes "store size"....I believe the Target at Trinity Common is around 130k s.f. and the floor plate of the combined CT (trying really hard to not re-stir that discussion ;) ) is 100k. The mall also has a Sports Expert and a Marks.

Is there enough synergistic savings in combined operations for CT to consider flipping over to the Target location and combining the 3 of them. If there were that might be good for RioCan as they would have to deal with +/- the same amount of newly vacant space but in already divvied up chunks. Any thoughts?

Doubt you will see that happen. We are no longer building our other banners within CT stores as it leads to too many complications since all of the banners are independent. Marks and Sport Chek are corporately run from Alberta, and CT stores are privately run.

Doubt you will see that happen. We are no longer building our other banners within CT stores as it leads to too many complications since all of the banners are independent. Marks and Sport Chek are corporately run from Alberta, and CT stores are privately run.

Tuscani01 (obvi we're all shooting spitballs here) but would a hypothetical CT at Harbour Plaza be too close to Bay/Dundas?

I will say that having been part of a company where our biggest competitor went bankrupt (non retail related) there was a fear of our other competitors swooping in and acquiring customers, the carcass of the company etc... it was quite frantic and not exceptionally well thought out; so I can see CT and Wal Mart eyeing these locations almost defensively.

What would become of the St. Clair and Weston location? It is already within a stone's throw from Canadian Tire and slightly over a kilometre from Wal-Mart Supercentre.

It can be a Real Canadian Superstore (though there is a No Frills at Dundas and Pacific (which can be removed, since it is already close to a No Frills on Bloor between Runnymede and High Park), as well as a Loblaws on top of St. Clair West station).

Tuscani01 (obvi we're all shooting spitballs here) but would a hypothetical CT at Harbour Plaza be too close to Bay/Dundas?

I will say that having been part of a company where our biggest competitor went bankrupt (non retail related) there was a fear of our other competitors swooping in and acquiring customers, the carcass of the company etc... it was quite frantic and not exceptionally well thought out; so I can see CT and Wal Mart eyeing these locations almost defensively.

One could argue that Yonge/Dundas was too close to the location at Yonge/Church then. It would definitely be something that is looked at though. If the dealer at Bay/Dundas were interested, I am sure something could be worked out where he could be offered this store in exchange for his support. Bay/Dundas would then be handed over to another dealer, or possibly closed.

It's all speculation though. So many factors need to be looked at first. We're pretty swamped with Edmonton at the moment, so we would definitely go through a hiring spree to be able to handle more projects. I guess that is a good thing for many of Target's employees. The competition will be quite busy over the next little while.

Tuscani are you speaking on behalf of Canadian Tire in these posts? You use "we" a lot.

I use 'we' when referring to something my department is responsible for. I'm on the store planning and design team. I speak on behalf of myself and my own experiences within the customer experience/store planning team.

Last edited:
Target’s exit from Canada will be ‘rapid’ http://globalnews.ca/news/1782357/targets-exit-from-canada-will-be-rapid/

Shoppers will begin to see deep discounts on apparel, household essentials and home décor items among thousands of other products at Target Canada in about a couple of weeks’ time, a spokesperson confirmed Tuesday.

“We do expect that to begin in about 2-3 weeks,†spokesperson Eric Hausman said in an email message. Liquidation sales will be followed on fast by store closures, experts suggest.
Related

Analysts at Desjardins Securities said Tuesday all 133 Target locations across Canada will likely be closed by the early spring, or just two years after the U.S. retailer launched in Canada.

“It appears likely in our view that all stores will be closed before the end of April,†analysts at the financial services firm said. “Target’s exit from Canada appears likely to be orderly and rapid.€

Part of the big shinny new target office building will be available now beside the airport.

Back