News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Maybe that is why Loblaws is expanding with new stores and renovating their old stores. See link.

If that is the reason that a publicly traded entity announces that level of expenditure then let me be the first to announce the latest scandal....because for that to be the case Loblaws would not only have to be tipped off to the policy change they would have to have been told how many of the licenses to sell booze they should expect.

anyway...more details being leaked out through the Star.

300 initial licenses ....not 200
Auctioned off sorta like the spectrum auctions
No single retailer will be allowed to buy more than 25%
While not confirming the rumoured franchise fee of $100million, the beer store sorta confirms they are in negotiations by invoking confidentiality.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...cences-to-sell-beer-wine-in-supermarkets.html

So the smaller grocers, independents and corner stores will get pushed out of this opportunity due the financial clout of the big chains. That's lovely! The LCBO and Beer Store will still control distribution, which will likely just increase prices. Wonderful.

This is such a blatant grab for cash. The government has overspent and squandered funds, building up a huge deficit, and now they want to screw us over (again) by making us pay for their mismanagement by soaking us with this bad deal.

This province is utterly bereft of ethics.

So the smaller grocers, independents and corner stores will get pushed out of this opportunity due the financial clout of the big chains. That's lovely! The LCBO and Beer Store will still control distribution, which will likely just increase prices. Wonderful.

This is such a blatant grab for cash. The government has overspent and squandered funds, building up a huge deficit, and now they want to screw us over (again) by making us pay for their mismanagement by soaking us with this bad deal.

Was this not obvious from the panel's findings...they spoke of maximizing the assets from a revenue point of view not from a taxpayer/customer convenience point of view.

Even before the findings this was clear in the mandate

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ptimize_lcbo_hydro_one_and_ontario_power.html

And the unions with employees in those large chains.

Was this not obvious from the panel's findings...they spoke of maximizing the assets from a revenue point of view not from a taxpayer/customer convenience point of view.

Even before the findings this was clear in the mandate

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ptimize_lcbo_hydro_one_and_ontario_power.html

'Obvious'? Nothing regarding the machinations of our corrupt government is ever obvious. It's nice to spell it out clearly though in case people aren't really paying close attention, and let's face it most aren't. They will see the headline 'liberals allowing beer and wine in grocery stores' and think 'hey that sounds good' and move on to the hockey game. Schmucks are ripe for the picking!

Union concerned about violence if beer and wine are sold at Ontario supermarkets http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/1...eer-and-wine-are-sold-at-ontario-supermarkets

"Staff at the Beer Stores and the LCBO are trained in the safe and responsible sale and handling of alcohol, and have product knowledge to share. The same will not be true for staff of grocery stores – and some grocery store employees are too young to legally sell and handle alcohol at all."

Thomas also feels that making alcohol more readily available "will contribute to more violence in the province, particularly violence against women. We know alcohol contributes to violence, and this makes us question Premier Kathleen Wynne's commitment to making women in this province safer."

Lovejoy-284x300.png

Attachments

• Lovejoy-284x300.png
    Lovejoy-284x300.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 616
'Obvious'? Nothing regarding the machinations of our corrupt government is ever obvious. It's nice to spell it out clearly though in case people aren't really paying close attention, and let's face it most aren't. They will see the headline 'liberals allowing beer and wine in grocery stores' and think 'hey that sounds good' and move on to the hockey game. Schmucks are ripe for the picking!

I've been reading in The Star which points out that one corporation won't have more than 25% of the rights to sell alcohol. On top of that, The Beer store will be required to open up more shelf space for craft beer, which is huge. On top of that, the government is also giving out tax breaks for every brewery, reguardless of size.
I'd say that alone make it substantially better let alone the possibilities of negating the stone age law where breweries can't have more than one store without meeting a minimum brewery limit. I've also been reading about beer being sold in farmers markets, similar to what wine has the privalege now.

I know it's not a perfect system, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now and won't only help breweries, it will help out the entire economy ranging from farmers, to tourism to hundreds of more jobs.

I would argue more people are smarter than you give them credit for. I'm not a schmuck.

They are tossing away sprats to catch a mackerel, sorry. It's pretty obvious really.

You and I both know that the government makes too much money to voluntarily give up the private liquor game, so let's just put that to bed now.

Beer consumption reached a peak in the mid 80's and has been declining ever since. On top of that, macro breweries aren't only competing with wine and liquor, but independant breweries are gaining small but significant ground. As of 2013 total craft beer was outselling Budweiser in US sales for the first time ever. Realistically Big Beer won't be where they are now in ten to fifteen years, unless they have the money to buy out the vast majority of craft breweries (if they're willing to sell) which is unlikely.
I bet you whatever happens this spring election, this will be the one last amount of smoke coming from InBev and M-C before it's not worth it for them anymore. They can't seem to grip Millennials as they have previous generations and it's not going to get better. If I was Wynne, I would get the $100m from them before they can't or refuse to pay the fee. Seriously, Ontario is so far behind!
So from what I stated previously; the BS gets charged a fee to the province, but has to sell more craft beer, breweries get tax credits, alcohol is available in 300 grocery stores with a potential craft-based stores as well, available in farmers markets.
Seriously, big upgrade...

You and I both know that the government makes too much money to voluntarily give up the private liquor game, so let's just put that to bed now.

Beer consumption reached a peak in the mid 80's and has been declining ever since. On top of that, macro breweries aren't only competing with wine and liquor, but independant breweries are gaining small but significant ground. As of 2013 total craft beer was outselling Budweiser in US sales for the first time ever. Realistically Big Beer won't be where they are now in ten to fifteen years, unless they have the money to buy out the vast majority of craft breweries (if they're willing to sell) which is unlikely.
I bet you whatever happens this spring election, this will be the one last amount of smoke coming from InBev and M-C before it's not worth it for them anymore. They can't seem to grip Millennials as they have previous generations and it's not going to get better. If I was Wynne, I would get the $100m from them before they can't or refuse to pay the fee. Seriously, Ontario is so far behind!
So from what I stated previously; the BS gets charged a fee to the province, but has to sell more craft beer, breweries get tax credits, alcohol is available in 300 grocery stores with a potential craft-based stores as well, available in farmers markets.
Seriously, big upgrade...

what election is in the spring?

My Beer Store and LCBO outlet are right across the street from each other (Ellesmere and Victoria Park). This new LCBO store appears to carry 10 times the selection of Beer and Ale that the Beer Store does which kind of indicates that the Beer Store really only want to sell what they make for obvious reasons. Perhaps they should be compelled to rename themselves from "The Beer Store" to "Some Beer Store".

They don't really need to buyout the majority of craft breweries, or even many of them at all, just strategic ones. InBev has already bought several in the past few years, including recently Elysian. It rounds out their portfolio with more trendy IPAs and they can now mass produce and market it nationally.

Back