News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: SEXY!

"Could we please have more of these curvy eye-catchers and fewer of the Clewes boxes? (The first 30 were fine but enough's enough...)"

why trade an eye-catcher for another with all the mediocre stuff being built (among them curvy towers easily outnumbering the Clewes boxes)

...separated at birth...

waterclub_lge.jpg

Totally agree CanadianNational. This is a perfect example of not just constructing a building, but of building a streetscape at the same time. It meets the street well too, and there really isn't much of a podium to it is there?

^ I've noticed it also pays nice respect to the building west of it thanks to a small setback on the north side of the tower. The architecture seems to be have been well thought-out.

waterclub_lge.jpg

I have to say, the Waterclub towers disappointed me. The renderings looked great, but then, the renderings always showed the towers from a more narrow perspective. They're so wide they look a bit too squat, and they create more of a barrier than was necessary.

I think the Met is considerably better.

Depends I suppose on......

The angle of the building. Waterclub looking from the north side isn't bad but the south side does look a little blocky.

Re: Depends I suppose on......

I have to say, the Waterclub towers disappointed me. The renderings looked great, but then, the renderings always showed the towers from a more narrow perspective. They're so wide they look a bit too squat, and they create more of a barrier than was necessary.

The original plan by Kolter was to have the buildings a bit taller and thinner. But the city was against the height and forced the builder to 'squish' the buildings down. So the same amount of square footage was used, but the result is essentially fatter buildings.

The MET Phase 1 & 2

I also like that they number the floors with signs... makes it much easier to see what # they are on when you are biking by.

I also like the idea of numbering the floors as buildings rise. They stopped at "30" on the east side, but today I noticed they added "38". The floor slab appears to have been mostly completed on Friday for the 40th floor so the building should be topped out by about mid-October.

<!--EZCODE LINK START-->[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]<!--EZCODE LINK END-->

The original plan by Kolter was to have the buildings a bit taller and thinner. But the city was against the height and forced the builder to 'squish' the buildings down. So the same amount of square footage was used, but the result is essentially fatter buildings.

What a shortsighted move by the city. Taller and thinner would've been much better than what we ended up with.

A few pictures from today. Not much for variety.

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

That canyon gives me the chills.

I guess it's too late for them to keep the balcony railings red and yellow somehow.

Walked down Yonge today from Bloor - I had no idea the Met was so high - it really grabs your attention just north of Wellesley.

Totally different perspective than the canyon look I get biking every day on Carlton/College.

Met Update?

Any update to be had on the Met and/or Encore?

Re: Met Update?

The Met tower is working on levels now above the top setback - the tower should be topped off by next week or the week after. It's making quite an impact from many vantage points (e.g. Yonge and Bloor)

Back