What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The bar is so low in Edmonton that we applaud murals Exhibit A:
Why are you so mad about this? The property is slated for demolition for a second tower anyway, but even if that takes a year or more to manifest, I’d rather walk past a nice mural than a building that clearly looks abandoned and has homeless people living in the nooks and crannies.

I'm wondering the same thing, mural > no mural imo. Appearances do matter, obviously taking care of the building properly, either by demolition and replacement or renovation is preferable. But once again: Mural > no Mural

Not sure how you came to the conclusion behind your computer screen that I am mad, I am not mad, I am simply pointing out exactly what your comment reinforced - that the bar in Edmonton is so low that a building which has sat derelict for a decade getting a mural is better than not having a mural.

Imagine all the other possibilities of activating that building, the Arlington lot, City Center, etc....or don't, just slap a mural on it and wait for something to happen.

Imagine all the other possibilities of activating that building, the Arlington lot, City Center, etc....or don't, just slap a mural on it and wait for something to happen.
It's being demolished imminently... having a mural on it to temporarily make it slightly less hideous is a good thing.

Projects are expensive and don't happen overnight. As I think has been made pretty clear, it's preferable to develop the lots into something cool. But in the mean time, there's nothing wrong with throwing up a mural to beautify the area.

It's being demolished imminently... having a mural on it to temporarily make it slightly less hideous is a good thing.

Projects are expensive and don't happen overnight. As I think has been made pretty clear, it's preferable to develop the lots into something cool. But in the mean time, there's nothing wrong with throwing up a mural to beautify the area.
I didnt say anything about developing it so you have clearly missed my point.

For example - The Leder Group, which bought Army and Navy on Whyte is in the process of developing it, but until they build something on it they have plans to make the building useable by turning it into a market of sorts where it is activated and useable for the community for the time being.

Once again, I don't dispute that this is intended to be developed at some point in time and I am not arguing for it to be done today.

My point being is that attitudes like yours are "WeLL At LeasT ItS a MurAl WhIcH Is BeTtEr ThAn No MuRaL"

Its like saying I got a D on my test but at least that's not an F.

I didnt say anything about developing it so you have clearly missed my point.

For example - The Leder Group, which bought Army and Navy on Whyte is in the process of developing it, but until they build something on it they have plans to make the building useable by turning it into a market of sorts where it is activated and useable for the community for the time being.

To use the Army and Navy as an example, it has not been turned into some kind of market, it's currently sitting derelict much like the building in question, I know because I ride the bus by it every single day, it would be significantly improved by some kind of public art.

That's all I'm saying, but you seem to think that this is some kind of acceptance of a lower standard.

It's not feasible to transform every derelict building in the city, there's always going to be abandoned properties unless they're in a super high pressure market like Toronto or Vancouver.

I see no issue with painting blank walls on abandoned buildings to make it a bit more bearable to look at.

The mural here is fine now and it is nice to see a coat of paint on this old building that needed it. But this really does not imply any long term commitment.

The Arlington lot is its own more complicated and long term issue. The owners of the building next door are doing the best they can to make their building more attractive and at least there is a more permanent fence now.

I suppose I could take the half empty glass view, but in both cases efforts are being made to improve the current situation and I expect in the former case the building will soon be replaced by something better.

20240906_114218.jpg

Murals on abandoned buildings is where we are at in Edmonton hey? My oh my the bar is so low in this city you could walk over it.

Between City Center on 102 ave, the Arlington lot, and Oil City, I guess you can leave your property as abandoned, useless, and derelict as long as you want but lets improve it by slapping a mural on it.

View attachment 594296

Look, I think we're all at some level of being peeved about the continued lack of storefront activation along Edmonton's main streets, especially Jasper Ave. I don't think anyone here is "applauding" murals, either. We could all be on here expressing our grief about Edmonton's perceived lack success compared to its counterparts in downtown development. It'd be redundant, however, because we all already know Edmonton is struggling with these things. For me it's more interesting to delve into the reasons why that is, but that's a topic for the Real Estate section.

Back