News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
This morning around 9 am I walked past metropolis on the way to work and all along victoria street there were backlit bill boards on the back of trailers. They also had two cranes on-site. I come back around 4pm and there nothing and no new signs. what the hell did they do? Anyon know?

the thing I've always thought this project needed was twin condo towers perched above it a la Maple Leaf Square. I can really picture them, facing Y & D on a diagonal in line with the bend in Dundas St. I just dont think that Metropolis makes maximum use of this high impact address. A pair of buildings above all the advertising would help to further define the square...

I agree with you Redroom, though lamentations of any wasted opportunities for this site have long since been purged (hence the length of this thread). There still remains hope for something tall and impressive on the northeast side of the square.

the thing I've always thought this project needed was twin condo towers perched above it a la Maple Leaf Square. I can really picture them, facing Y & D on a diagonal in line with the bend in Dundas St. I just dont think that Metropolis makes maximum use of this high impact address. A pair of buildings above all the advertising would help to further define the square...

Yeah, instead, we get something as bleak and banal as Allied Chemical's rape of the Times Tower
3224015.jpg

As far as tall buildings go..... there are still some some oppourtunities:

The site beside the new Hakim Optical....( giant parking lot)
277 Victoria - planned condo tower- hotel.
Sam's - Ryerson Redevelopment ( 2 condo towers in the conceptualization)
College Park 3 - ( massive condo - biggest in canada)
1 City Hall phase 2 . down the street.

Towers already making their presence felt at Yonge and Dundas:

the 250
1 Dundas West
The Met Towers
1 King West
Maritime Life Tower
The Pantages Tower
Opus Tower
College Park 1 & 2
Delta Chelsa

yes, no doubt that The Met and soon Encore are a nice addition to the north, however they can only be seen if you are on the west side of Yonge, not directly from the square. Aura is of course very exciting and with its promised height, also being a block further south should easily be seen from the square. Maybe there is still some future possibility of building on top of Metropolis? It is after all just a giant block of concrete. It just seems like such a missed opportunity and ineffiecient use of such a prime location... Though now I think back to some previous discussions in this thread, the light pollution would be a big dis-incentive to anyone living there... so office tower it is!

^^

I agree that this area is better suited for a signature or significant office tower, the likes of Scotia Plaza or Brooksfield place. From the perspective of the square, it would do a lot to enhance the mid-rise feel of the immediate surroundings (Atrium, Eaton Centre, Ryerson buildings, St. Mikes, etc). From the perspective of the skyline, it would do a lot to creating a more linear pattern to our skyline instead of the pyramid pattern we have in the financial district. With Aura and 1BE just up the road, Toronto's Yonge corridor would look very very sleak with point towers at key subway stations.

However, I would warn against putting the tower where Hakim optical is as it would cut off a nice view of the financial district and our existing skyline. Placing a tower where torch is or on Dundas east would be an ideal location from both perspectives mentioned above.

Well the current site of Hakim Optical has been purchased by the city already for redevelopment.

So you may be out of luck there. -

However,

there is a parking lot across the street from the Bond Place Hotel???

I wonder when the connection will open.

It's almost November and this mall should be open before Christmas.

There is no way all the signs will be up by Christmas. At the rate Penex Media is going these signs wont be all installed and functional until March at the earliest.

I agree. I am surprised how long it is taking to install the signs because they generate revenue for the company. Yesterday it was a beautiful day...you wonder why a sign wasn't installed?

Now that City TV is moving into Torch, I'm sure more restaurants/cafes will be interested in relocating to Toronto Life Square. This will help the square tremendously!

I wish penequity would update their construction progress.

PCL provided a construction update Oct. 15 as follows:

"The building is now closed in and finishes are in progress. Early occupancy is scheduled for November 16, 2007. The AMC theaters are on schedule."

When are the amc theatres set to open?

I wonder if PenEqu has gone back to the drawing boards and re-evaluated what they can charge on the remaining units and signage now that CityTV will be across the square? I would imagine that would be a big draw for companies to locate there and have their signs no TLS, since they will be seen on TV quite a bit (assuming City still does their outdoor broadcasts).

Back