News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Toronto Life Square sounds awkward and does not flow easily. Even Life Square sounds a bit strange. Perhaps Times Square, in it's beginnings, sounded odd too. I just dont see that name taking off.

I think "Life Square" sounds even stranger, especially as a "derivative" if Toronto Life--which is why I asked Metro Man if he subscribed to the mag. Because IMO the idea of people coming to call the place "Life Square" is utterly, implausibly insipid, and only an unseasoned teenage twerp with the most spurious engagement to the publication in question might think that's a neato idea *at all*.

Look at it this way. Times Square makes sense, in part because people commonly referred to the paper in question as "The Times". Likewise with Herald Square. And likewise if one of Toronto's dailies lent their name here: "Star Square" or "Globe Square" or "Sun Square" or "Post Square" all sound logical as diminutives. However, *nobody* refers to Toronto Life as "Life"--esp. since that name's already been fatally co-opted by a classic of c20 photojournalism. And unless something weird happens, nobody ever will. So why should anyone refer to the square as "Life"? (Though yes, there are similar situations within the TL family of publications, eg. Toronto Life Fashion's morph into just-plain Fashion.)

Conversely, re "Toronto Eaton Centre": there's a case where "Toronto" is more of a label of convenience (esp. given all the other Eaton Centres out there), but the place has *always* been commonly, casually known as just plain Eaton Centre. Even within upper management. Even before it was built. The reason being: the store was Eaton's. Not Toronto Eaton's. (Oh yes, it was a derivative of T. Eaton, but T means Timothy.).

And finally, as proof that "Toronto Life Square" might be less cumbersome and inorganic than it looks, take the case of Nathan Phillips Square. By "Life Square" logic, people would be commonly referring to it as Phillips Square. But they don't. They still call it Nathan Phillips Square. And if there's any commonly-used diminutive, it might be just plain "Nathan Phillips", sans Square (or else "NPS", though that sees more use textually than verbally).

Maybe that last example is the more plausible future scenario: "Toronto Life Square", or just plain "Toronto Life", or "TLS". Certainly more plausible than "Life Square"...

I have business at the Skydome many times each year and can promise you NO ONE calls it the Rogers Centre. It is still VERY MUCH "Skydome".

I try to call it Rogers Centre now. Why? As a season ticket goer I watched the Dome empty over 15 years after the world series victories and the place decay. When Rogers changed the name, turf, screens and amentities it actually was enough of an improvement to justify the name change. I know I'm in the minority, though.

Anyway, back to TLS. I agree that Life Square sounds lame. Not because of the reasons adma gave but because it just sounds lame.

I dont think there is a general system for the "convenience re-branding" or "re-naming" of anything. You cant draw the same lines between Toronto Life Square and Nathan Philips Square, or anything else. There will be a name that is used and sticks in the minds of people, and it wont necessarily follow some pre-described method of shortening a proper name. That is why I think anything associated with Yonge-Dundas Square (including Torch, Toronto Life Square etc) will all be referenced to Dundas Square. That was the original media published name for the square, and general area, and will stick in the public concience.

Re: Torch.... that may be seen in the public eye just as CityTV since it already has a long standing image and brand. Metropolis/Toronto Life Square/whatever you want to call it.... will likely be associated with it's geographical area being Dundas Square.

Slightly off topic - has anyone seen the new New York Times building in Times Square? I am not sure what I think of it..... metal grating covering the windows.... from some angles it looks interesting, but then again, it is just metal grating over the windows....

I still call the square "Dundas Square" as I'm sure most people naturally do. I find it interesting how strong the reaction to my nano-second careless thought "Life square" suggestion for a possible populist evolution of the awkward Toronto Life Square was. The school is definately out on if Toronto Life's square rebranding will actually stick. Dundas Square just has so much of a geographical significance given the Subway station and Street name relate so directly.

With respect to the Skydome. That name is dead and done outside a small demographic. Much of the population long ago omitted the "Sky" from the name just refering to it as the "dome". And every day on media (of all affiliations) you get bombarded by what is happening down at the "Rogers Centre" so the indoctrination occurs rapidly. A smaller and smaller portion of the populations still remembers or knows the public resources and civic pride that went into the stadiums construction so there is a smaller pool of people emotionally invested in the original name.

It's Dundas Square, period.

And with all due respect to the post above, nobody I know calls Skydome the "Rogers Centre." And for every one person who utters the name "Rogers Centre," there are always five others to angrily correct them.

I think it has less to do with people being emotionally invested in the building (which I agree is only a small part of the population) as much as the fact that people fucking hate Rogers (a very large part of the population).

I don't think the same is true of Toronto Life, but I think people are going to stick with Dundas Square, or more likely, whatever CityTV personalities start calling it (probably Dundas Square as well, unless Toronto Life sponsors them, or something).

The above comments about what to call the Square should be sent to your local councillor. Then a movement might start to change the name. I do agree the name should be changed to make it sexier. But debating it on here for pages is fruitless.

Same with the Rogers Centre. Write to Rogers and tell him to call it Rogers Dome.

--

Construction workers were installing new brackets on the Front-East side last night. Most of the work is completed on the East side of the building. I also noticed new lights being installed on the Front West side of the building; below the ticker.

I have a feeling that "Yonge-Dundas Square" is a bit of a placeholder of a title and that the square will eventually be named after somebody (Trudeau? Jacobs? Crombie? Me?) and the powers that be anticipate a name change eventually.

Alklay, you left out Uncle Bobby. Everyone leaves out Uncle Bobby.

Gord Martineau intoned "Yonge Dundas Square" last night on the news. I assume Citytv does not have as rigorous a set of rules as CBC does on how to pronounce everything, but they probably are paying attention to how they refer to the square now that they are going to be moving to it. Branding it will be important for them too.

I think that whatever AMC ends up calling their cinemas has the best chance for branding TLS, so Toronto Life is going to want their name as part of the cinemas' name too.

The above comments about what to call the Square should be sent to your local councillor. Then a movement might start to change the name. I do agree the name should be changed to make it sexier. But debating it on here for pages is fruitless.

Same with the Rogers Centre. Write to Rogers and tell him to call it Rogers Dome.

Sorry, I thought this was the Toronto Life Square (Metropolis) discussion thread :(

Also, "Rogers Dome" is probably the worst name for anything, ever.

I have a feeling that "Yonge-Dundas Square" is a bit of a placeholder of a title and that the square will eventually be named after somebody (Trudeau? Jacobs? Crombie? Me?) and the powers that be anticipate a name change eventually.

Ya, name it Jacobs Square. There would be some irony, or at least miss-use of her name.
Actually, maybe it would be fitting for the city to sell the naming rights to the square (Magna? RIM? Yahoo!? Toronto Life?).

Ya, name it Jacobs Square. There would be some irony, or at least miss-use of her name.

Agreed, although I would not put it past our city counsel to inappropriately name the square.

And yes, Uncle Bobby in a rocking chair would probably nicely fill the need many have for a sculpture. ;)

Back