News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Yonge-Dundas Square... the kind of goofy name only a bunch of clueless old crusty suits sitting around a table could come up with...

I agree. Prior it to being open it was commonly known as Dundas Square. Then the suits took over...

To both people who explained that Y-D is the "official name", I know that, hence my words "how Y-D Square morphed as the 'official name'."

I bet the BIA (Downtown-Yonge) demanded the much more cumbersome name. Where else in the world is a square named for both cross streets?

phunky, don't give Scotiabank any ideas... please... the last thing we want is YD Square being plastered with Scotiabank red. they already have a bank machine there, you know they're staking out for an all out rebranding eventually.

^Agreeing with Ganjavih. What was so wrong with "Dundas Square"? Simple and to the point, if you ask me. Besides, 'Dundas' is a very historic and unique place name for Ontario (well, maybe there is a place in Scotland or something, but you get my point), and would have been instantly identifiable with Toronto, from an international point of view.

If people start saying things like: "Let's go watch X movie @ Toronto Life Square", the name will undoubtedly catch on as the name of the place: "Meet me at Toronto Life Square".
People won't say "Let's go watch X movie @ Toronto Life Square". They'll say "Let's go watch X movie @ AMC". I really don't see the name "Toronto Life Square" catching on. It's so cumbersome, plus it's not a traditional mall like the Eaton Centre - most of the tenants are anchors. More likely people will refer to the individual tenants.

Not living in the city, I don't often hear people refer to the square by one name or another. So I did a couple Google searches to see what comes up the most. Dundas Square had 151,000 hits. Yonge-Dundas Square had 44,000. Toronto Life Square had 2170. Doesn't seem like people are confusing the square with the building.

^^ MisterF, if I may, there are several erroneous assumptions in your post.

People don't say: Let's go watch X movie @ Cineplex Odeon. They say: "Let's go watch X movie @ Paramount". There are plenty of AMC's out there.

Also, Toronto Life Square has barely even taken off. Most people don't even know that will be the name of the building. There aren't even any signs. Give it a couple of years before it makes it into the average Torontonian's lexicon.

I agree "Toronto Life Square" doesn't work well but the question is does anyone call Skydome Skydome anymore? Not really. The transition to Rogers Centre is almost complete in a very short time. Something like "Life Square" might catch.

I agree "Toronto Life Square" doesn't work well but the question is does anyone call Skydome Skydome anymore? Not really. The transition to Rogers Centre is almost complete in a very short time. Something like "Life Square" might catch.

I do! Especially since the replacement name for Skydome is so intentionally cumbersome - since it's a generic "Centre" (name me another ballpark called "centre" or "center"), it can't be shortened to something that would catch, like "the ACC" or "the Gardens" or "the Dome". Skydome was short and even didn't need the definite article.

People won't say "Let's go watch X movie @ Toronto Life Square". They'll say "Let's go watch X movie @ AMC". I really don't see the name "Toronto Life Square" catching on. It's so cumbersome, plus it's not a traditional mall like the Eaton Centre - most of the tenants are anchors. More likely people will refer to the individual tenants.

Much like how Festival Hall turned out. People called the theatre "the Paramount", the Chapters, or Playdium, or Lucid were never really referred to as Chapters at Festival Hall, for example.

Names.

It's tough to say exactly what will take over time. I resisted calling the Paramount 'the Scotiabank' when that name changed, but 20 visits to it during the film fest drummed it into me. I now bleat 'Scotiabank' like a sheep, and I concur with those that don't want that bank adding their name to anything else around town as they move to rebrand all arts-related events in town with their name.

In regards to the square, I am sure that the BIA insisted that the name of the square have the world Yonge in it, as their official name is the Downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area. They are doing branding too, and they know that if the word Yonge is mentioned when referring to the square, you will be reminded of Yonge more often, and you will associate better things with it, and maybe you will want to shop it more often.

No wonder the BIA wants the word Square in Toronto Life Square changed, because yes, the building's name has been carefully and deliberately chosen to confuse the public and eventually replace the name of the square itself in popular parlance. Times Square in New York came to be called that because of the New York Times building on its south side (long since moved), and Toronto Life magazine wants the same thing to happen here. The BIA has no power to change the name of the building at all, but they can ask of course. Toronto Life would be fools to relent.

In regards to the cinemas, who knows what AMC will call them yet. They might end up being AMC Metropolis at Toronto Life Square, as the original name of the building was likely chosen in consultation with AMC, who have been the lead tenant since the dawn of time. When the Paramount first opened, the building it was located in was actually called 'Festival Hall'. That name sure didn't stick as the cinema's did. AMC may have some brand equity tied up in the name Metropolis, maybe not, they could just as easily be AMC Toronto Life Square, probably will...

November 16 is for FutureShop. I went there on the 16th of October to buy a printer and when I asked to see a floor model, he said they were selling them off in anticipation of the move, exactly one month from then.

...oh, and personally, I don't think that 'Life Square' will catch: it's not catchy enough, it's too generic. It makes me think of a cereal, or secondly a poorly marketed house brand (as noted far above). In this case I just think that despite being a mouthful, the word Toronto won't get dropped.

Much like how Festival Hall turned out. People called the theatre "the Paramount", the Chapters, or Playdium, or Lucid were never really referred to as Chapters at Festival Hall, for example.

In regards to the square, I am sure that the BIA insisted that the name of the square have the world Yonge in it....When the Paramount first opened, the building it was located in was actually called 'Festival Hall'. That name sure didn't stick as the cinemas did.

Great minds think alike, don't they, eh?

And fools seldom differ. We are left having others decide which we are...

(very funny that we were both composing that at the same time!)

Back