News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I noticed when I was over there the other day that the building where the Parmount is (I still call it the Paramount, as in "I won't go to a movie at the Parmount on the weekend") still has a sign calling it Festival Hall. I'd forgotten that was the name.

I still call the Skydome the Skydome. Does any non-Rogers entity call it the Rogers Centre?

^ Problem with that is, you won't find the Paramount cinema showtimes anymore when you search for it on Google by that name. You also won't get its phone number when you call 411, as I did a few days ago, and ask for Paramount cinema at John/Richmond.

I think that people are going to continue to call the square Dundas Square (even though it is Yonge Dundas Square) because it rolls off the tongue much easier.

When referencing the movies at Toronto Life Square, I think people will say the AMC, as in "should we see XXXX movie at the AMC"? It is, after all, the only AMC in downtown Toronto.

For retail in the Toronto Life Square building, I think people will still say Dundas Square as in "I bought it at the Future Shop at Dundas Square" or lets grab a bite to eat at Wolfgang Puck at Dundas Square". The geographical reference would, in my view, be a better indicator of the location of each store, than the name of the building. Toronto Life Square sounds awkward and does not flow easily. Even Life Square sounds a bit strange. Perhaps Times Square, in it's beginnings, sounded odd too. I just dont see that name taking off.

I think that people are going to continue to call the square Dundas Square (even though it is Yonge Dundas Square) because it rolls off the tongue much easier.

When referencing the movies at Toronto Life Square, I think people will say the AMC, as in "should we see XXXX movie at the AMC"? It is, after all, the only AMC in downtown Toronto.

For retail in the Toronto Life Square building, I think people will still say Dundas Square as in "I bought it at the Future Shop at Dundas Square" or lets grab a bite to eat at Wolfgang Puck at Dundas Square". The geographical reference would, in my view, be a better indicator of the location of each store, than the name of the building. Toronto Life Square sounds awkward and does not flow easily. Even Life Square sounds a bit strange. Perhaps Times Square, in it's beginnings, sounded odd too. I just dont see that name taking off.

I wouldnt be surprised if people just consider it an extension of the Eaton Centre. It will be connected underground via path and the ordinary citizen really has no clue what the building is called right now, let alone what it is going to house. They are going to see stores and restaurants right across from the Eaton Centre, connected underground and just say something like... "Hey, lets go watch a movie at the Eaton Centre".

It will be connected underground via path and the ordinary citizen really has no clue what the building is called right now, let alone what it is going to house.

I doubt many people are going to take the convoluted route through Dundas Station to get from the Eaton Centre to TLS. And do you still think you're in the Eaton Centre when you enter Hudsons Bay or PATH?

I still call the Skydome the Skydome, and so does every single sports fan I know. Nobody wants to refer to it as Rogers Centre, so they don't.

^ Problem with that is, you won't find the Paramount cinema showtimes anymore when you search for it on Google by that name. You also won't get its phone number when you call 411, as I did a few days ago, and ask for Paramount cinema at John/Richmond.

I know where to look for it in the movie listings in the paper, which is all I need to know.

I doubt many people are going to take the convoluted route through Dundas Station to get from the Eaton Centre to TLS. And do you still think you're in the Eaton Centre when you enter Hudsons Bay or PATH?

I don't, but my friends from home consider HBC part of the Eaton Centre. I bet if you were to tell someone to meet you at the Square at the Eaton Centre they would think of Y-D Square too. Like I said, to the average person, the name means nothing.

Either I was going crazy, or when I was at Dundas Square the past tuesday, I saw some lit signs inside the building through the windows.

Much like how Festival Hall turned out. People called the theatre "the Paramount", the Chapters, or Playdium, or Lucid were never really referred to as Chapters at Festival Hall, for example.
That's just what I was thinking. I couldn't even remember the name of the building! People just refer to the tenants, which is what I suspect will happen with TLS.

Metroman - I know there are lots of AMC theatres, but people will probably refer to the downtown AMC or the AMC at Yonge and Dundas or Dundas Square.

Speaking of Festival Hall/Paramount/Scotiabank, I remember when it first opened, it was described as the most significant commercial development downtown in years. How times have changed.

Back