News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I liked the promise that this development held. But on Boxing Day as I beheld the current state of affairs I had clenched fists in my pockets and felt like, as I said, slapping someone.

There is still a possibility that the developers can redeem themselves but it is going to be difficult - leaving those three-storey tall ventilation shafts showing on the south side when they should (by now) be behind the stunning 3-piece sign as rendered --- that constitutes antagonistic behaviour toward Torontonians.

3D, could you please read a few posts up and see the Cheez Whiz idea that Caltrane74 and I were tossing around? Maybe you could mock up a "for real" version of this idea. This development needs something (forgive me ) three-dimensional. I loved the Labatts can that was on the west side of Yonge, and same for the Cadbury's ad over the H.R. Cafe-- maybe a 3D thing on TLS will be its saviour. If we're going to have a corner in Toronto to celebrate the consumerist aspect of our society, then for heaven's sake let's "lose it" and go all out!!! That is my point.

Back in summer, a guest in Toronto and I took a walk on a rainy Friday night and enjoyed the reflections of the signage in a wet Dundas Square ..

Apologies to Andrew3D --- I got you confused with someone else who has posted some great mockups on this site ...
TonyV

because it is ugly. Pylons exist where there is nothing with similar height on which to hang a sign. Why on this corner can we do no better than a two storey building? This isn't the exit on highway 400 to Vaughan Mills. This is an urban intersection in view of 40 storey plus buildings.
But it's located in what's meant to be Toronto's answer to Times Square. It's intended to be an site-specific urban aesthetic gesture IOW.

Also...
180px-Citgo_boston.jpg

This is a genuine urban landmark in Boston.

IMO I disagree I would prefer TLS over the Media tower on the Atrium, TEC or Hard Rock any day...I wouldn't go as far as saying that I find the media tower objectionable but I prefer the density and use of the TLS media tower. The success of this building is now up to the advertising community not the developer (i.e. for the community to recognize Yonge-Dundas' marketing potential). One thing is for sure, the more of us looking up to criticize design the greater the number of eye balls that TLS/Atrium/TEC etc. can market.

Er, what specifically is your problem with the Eaton Centre (or as I referred to, its "founding aesthetic" which was, well, pretty significant in its time)?

Or, maybe even more so, Hard Rock? Is it because it's an old building on a site that merits intensification?

Sheesh, these cheesy adolescent Sim City urban sensibilities...

There is still a possibility that the developers can redeem themselves but it is going to be difficult - leaving those three-storey tall ventilation shafts showing on the south side when they should (by now) be behind the stunning 3-piece sign as rendered --- that constitutes antagonistic behaviour toward Torontonians.

They are still putting that sign up though, right? There's no way even PenEquity would leave it uncovered like that.

Also, after comparing recent photos to the renderings, it is coming along fairly closely to what was planned. Are the "cheesy" rooftop signs actually not being installed though, or was that just speculation?

All this love!

Under the bright lights of the big city!

Goshers!!

Hope 2008 is good to you all.

PCL updated their website and said:

"Early occupancy was achieved November 15th allowing the Future Shop store to go live the following day. The Starbucks space was turned over Nov 16th. The project is in commissioning mode. Care and custody of publicly occupied spaces has been assigned to the Owner. The second wave of tenant space turnovers is to occur Dec. 15 to 21, 2007 (AMC, Bell World, Johnny Rockets)."

Bell world, Modrobes and AMC are well under construction. The AMC front entrance is almost complete in the main foyer.

Surprisingly the sign installation is not running full force yet.

^ The most surprising is that Toronto Life Square hasn't put their sign up. Maybe they don't want to put it up on an incomplete building.

What does AMC have on the main level? Ticket counters or simply just a reference that they're upstairs?

^ The most surprising is that Toronto Life Square hasn't put their sign up. Maybe they don't want to put it up on an incomplete building.

What does AMC have on the main level? Ticket counters or simply just a reference that they're upstairs?

Prob similar to the Empress in North York

But it's located in what's meant to be Toronto's answer to Times Square. It's intended to be an site-specific urban aesthetic gesture IOW.

Also...
180px-Citgo_boston.jpg

This is a genuine urban landmark in Boston.

Oh ya, I forgot about that. They pointed it out on the boat tour I took there last summer. Isn't it beautiful?

No, the Paramount Theatre...sorry, Scotia Bank Theatre (which has to be one of the best performing theatres in Toronto). Looks like ticketing and those automated ticket booths.

Watch that change when AMC opens.

Back