News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
No, the Paramount Theatre...sorry, Scotia Bank Theatre (which has to be one of the best performing theatres in Toronto). Looks like ticketing and those automated ticket booths.

Well, if that's the case, that's great. I just hope they put in better ambient lighting. The generic lighting in Toronto Life Square's atrium adds to its cheap utilitarian feel.

Also, let's see some carpet or flooring. What's currently installed looks like a base for something better to come, but I wouldn't put it beyond PenEquity to leave it like that.

I think the contrast between AMC and The Theatre Formerly Known as Paramount is worth paying attention to. I was completely astounded the first time I saw the "atrium" at The Development Formerly Known as Metropolis. It's so tight up against the top ring, it's downright claustrophobic. Moreover, it's, uh, corrugated metal covered with what appears to be asbestos spray. It's like the inside of a little-league ice rink in there.

Now, step right up and tell me that design doesn't matter. When you're going up, up, up into a theatre, it matters what you put on the roof. Ascending the long escalator into the cube gives an evening at the Paramount a fantastic kick-off. (Even if the lobby that follows is a stomach-turning, overpriced crap fiesta.) But right now, the prospect of staring at that tin roof for 5 minutes of circling that atrium would be enough to make me head to John and Richmond.

Construction personnel were working on the new tri-vision today. Did anyone see if the sign was actually installed?

I think the contrast between AMC and The Theatre Formerly Known as Paramount is worth paying attention to. I was completely astounded the first time I saw the "atrium" at The Development Formerly Known as Metropolis. It's so tight up against the top ring, it's downright claustrophobic. Moreover, it's, uh, corrugated metal covered with what appears to be asbestos spray. It's like the inside of a little-league ice rink in there.

Now, step right up and tell me that design doesn't matter. When you're going up, up, up into a theatre, it matters what you put on the roof. Ascending the long escalator into the cube gives an evening at the Paramount a fantastic kick-off. (Even if the lobby that follows is a stomach-turning, overpriced crap fiesta.) But right now, the prospect of staring at that tin roof for 5 minutes of circling that atrium would be enough to make me head to John and Richmond.

Sorry, the last 2 movies I watched at the Paramount were bombs... as I descended the world's longest escalator (not a fact) I don't remember anything other than wondering why I just wasted hard earned money on 2 hrs or crap...

Sorry, the last 2 movies I watched at the Paramount were bombs... as I descended the world's longest escalator (not a fact) I don't remember anything other than wondering why I just wasted hard earned money on 2 hrs or crap...

How is it Paramount's fault that you chose to watch crappy movies?
Of all the movie theater's I have been to, not just in Toronto. Paramount ranks right up there in terms of ambiance.

Of all the movie theater's I have been to, not just in Toronto. Paramount ranks right up there in terms of ambiance.

LOL, no I'm not blaming my lack of better judgement on the Paramount, I am more interested in making sure that the movie I want to watch is playing at the theatre I choose to visit (just my opinion)...I'm not offended by the ceiling within TLS, for all you know it will be covered up with another giagantic sign, maybe coming soon movie posters.

Right. But, being gigantic mega-plexes, we can probably assume that both AMC and Paramount will be playing the same things, never mind Varsity three stops up the Yonge line, and Silver City another few stops after that.

The crazy thing is that it was largely AMC's reluctance that stalled Metropolis for all those years. It amazes me that they'd wait for so long, only to go ahead with a project that puts them at a competitive disadvantage.

I know that the escalator ride up to the theatre alone doesn't make or break the evening. But if two corporate-chain theatres are showing the same movie (probably shitty) at the same price (probably too much) and the same times (every twenty minutes for the shitty ones, and at 6:15 and 11:45 for the good ones) - which theatre are you more likely to go to? The one that's lively, airy, and a pleasure to enter, or the shithole?

Right. But, being gigantic mega-plexes, we can probably assume that both AMC and Paramount will be playing the same things, never mind Varsity three stops up the Yonge line, and Silver City another few stops after that.

The crazy thing is that it was largely AMC's reluctance that stalled Metropolis for all those years. It amazes me that they'd wait for so long, only to go ahead with a project that puts them at a competitive disadvantage.

I know that the escalator ride up to the theatre alone doesn't make or break the evening. But if two corporate-chain theatres are showing the same movie (probably shitty) at the same price (probably too much) and the same times (every twenty minutes for the shitty ones, and at 6:15 and 11:45 for the good ones) - which theatre are you more likely to go to? The one that's lively, airy, and a pleasure to enter, or the shithole?

It's still a little early to judge and AMC's location advantage may just supersede the better escalator ride to the probably shitty movie at Paramount.

Judgement will be swift and brutal! It is the only kind of justice I dispense.

You're right about the location advantage. As for the soul-crushing atrium, maybe they'll pull this one off in the homestretch. Maybe they'll remove the tin roof at the last minute to reveal... I don't know. An actual atrium?

I doubt the corrugated metal ceiling with the fireproof foam is going to be exposed. I mean, I know PenEquity is a cheap ass developer but I'm sure they'll cover that up, even if it's with false ceiling panels.

The men's bathrooms stink worse than a college pub, the escalator gives me vertigo and the lobby makes my head pound, but that's personal. The Scotia Bank is not a good theatre complex, IMAX screen excepted. Consistently bad projection (out of focus/soft focus, out of frame & incorrect masking adjustments), poorly assembled and dirty prints, frequent sound problems and many of the screens are far too large for 35MM film.
I really hope that AMC does things right with sane screen sizes, digital projection (the future of movies), good sound and people trained to properly manage the projection end of the business. It's still a couple of months until opening, hopefully drop ceilings and lobby design are yet to be completed. The floors looked good from photos posted a week or two ago in this thread.

not to mention that cinplex/odeon has a points program which i use to watch free movies. it's a small thing, but it keeps me coming back.

not to mention that cinplex/odeon has a points program which i use to watch free movies. it's a small thing, but it keeps me coming back.

Yes, but AMC has one as well...I used to live in the burbs and had one...back when movie prices were going crazy the card gave you something like 20% off anytime. Not sure what the promotions are like now

Back