News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Right. But, being gigantic mega-plexes, we can probably assume that both AMC and Paramount will be playing the same things, never mind Varsity three stops up the Yonge line, and Silver City another few stops after that.

The crazy thing is that it was largely AMC's reluctance that stalled Metropolis for all those years. It amazes me that they'd wait for so long, only to go ahead with a project that puts them at a competitive disadvantage.

I know that the escalator ride up to the theatre alone doesn't make or break the evening. But if two corporate-chain theatres are showing the same movie (probably shitty) at the same price (probably too much) and the same times (every twenty minutes for the shitty ones, and at 6:15 and 11:45 for the good ones) - which theatre are you more likely to go to? The one that's lively, airy, and a pleasure to enter, or the shithole?

re: 6:15 and 11:45, with 24 screens I am sure that they will be able to show the over-hyped movies @ 6:15, 6:45, 7:15 etc... another competitive advantage. Lets hope the theatres are digital to give them ultimate flexibility (there was an announcement recently between IMAX and AMC for digital projectors).

Moreover let's assume your corporate comparison holds (all things equal you are there to watch the same movie) I am 100% more likely to be at or have things to do at Yonge & Dundas on a weekly basis compared to competing with the 50,000 kids from the 905 looking to party in the entertainment district. This would save me the 20 minute walk and / or $8, maybe that makes me an old fart...but I'm not alone.

I wonder whether or not AMC and Scotiatheatre will actually get the same movies. For example, AMC in Scarborough and Cineplex at STC have never shown the same movies. Distributors will choice which of the two cinemas to send their films to. Meanwhile, Eglinton Town Centre generally shows everything.

I doubt that the two cinemas will have to compete to show different films since the market is larger being downtown, but you never know. If they do not show the same films, then people will go to the cinema that is showing the film they want to see.

I doubt the corrugated metal ceiling with the fireproof foam is going to be exposed. I mean, I know PenEquity is a cheap ass developer but I'm sure they'll cover that up, even if it's with false ceiling panels.

They could always install a Calder mobile...though maybe this'd befit the ambience more...
hee6.jpg

Yes, but AMC has one as well...I used to live in the burbs and had one...back when movie prices were going crazy the card gave you something like 20% off anytime. Not sure what the promotions are like now
do they have that same program now?

They've got a lot of leasing to do in that food court! The retail space in the basement seems much more popular (I guess due to the direct subway connection).

Overall, it's sort of what I expected. I don't love it and don't hate it.

Yeah. I can't believe we waited nearly ten years for this shit. The "Shopping Mall" was pretty tawdry but at least it had some big city hustle to it, with its labyrinth of litttle stores hawking fake rolexes and refurbished Game Boys.

At the expense of a) sounding like Christopher Hume, and, b) referencing New york, TLS could belong 'anywhere'. It would be just as much at home at Yonge and Sheppard or as an annex to a Chinese mall in Agincourt. And although New Yorkers lost the peep shows and grittiness of 42nd street to Disney, at least they got architecture by Arquitectonica and Renzo Piano in the process.

I fear "Metropolis Now: Redux" with 1 Bloor East.

First, they'll demolish Roy's square this year in record time. Then the hype behind an over-priced 80 storey condo will implode, leaving us with a hoarded-off vacant piece of land for seven unlucky years.

The hoarding will be complete with L'Oreal ads and everything. Mark my words.

You heard it here first.

It's everything I feared -tacky and underwhelming.

I do not know about tacky (which I would not have minded) but its just so damn ugly. Imagine, we could have had interesting architecture with ads (maybe even interesting ads) but alas, we are stuck with a aluminum shed with phoney fans. Yuck.

I think this is one of those instances where the real thing will actually look better than the rendering (at least this latest rendering).

They really need all that tacky crap on the top to put it over the edge. If that's the look they're going for, they need to go all out...otherwise it's just garbage.

Back