News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Looks like the single property at the 955 Kingston Road address (a few blocks west of Victoria Park) are planning to add on a couple more floors up top:

955 KINGSTON RD
Ward 19: Beaches-East York

To alter the existing mixed-use building by constructing a rear basement addition with walkout; a rear ground-floor addition; a rear second-storey addition; a new complete third-storey addition with a new deck at the front and rear; and a new complete fourth-storey addition with a new deck at the front and rear.

View attachment 376626

So this proposal to build 2 additional storeys reportedly yielded more than 50 letters of objection...

So this proposal to build 2 additional storeys reportedly yielded more than 50 letters of objection...

Important to look at the details.

My reflex was to wonder why anyone would object to a mere 2 storeys added on retail strip, on an arterial road.

But as is the case, at least sometimes, there is some substance to some objections. They may indeed be selfish in some way, but equally understandable.

Lets look at this one, which comes from the business next door: (source from the above story in Beach Metro)

The Great Escape is a beloved institution in the area, and the location has been a book store for decades. It was known as Ed’s Books for many years before the name was changed to The Great Escape in the 1990s. Katya Nosko, owner of the store, said she will lose light and the appeal of the area at the back will be completely lost by this proposal.

She said her business and the backyard event space she had created there could completely disappear as it will be blocked out by a three-storey brick wall.

“There is a huge loss of light there and the loss of my garden,” said Nosko.

She uses the large garage at the back of lot to hold concerts, art and photo exhibitions, readings and other events including weddings.

Is this credible? Hmmmm

This got to me to wondering what that space looks like now.........

Here's an aerial view. Where you see 'knife | fork | book is the bookstore in question, with the proposal being immediately to the left in this image.

1651152276872.png

The only at-grade picture I can find, so far, is one from the bookstore's website, which doesn't reveal much:

1651152605622.png

A second aerial pic doesn't leave me feeling that there's a lot of 'there' there.

This one from TOMaps is taken in winter (no leaves) which gives a slightly better perception of the space, a garage of some sort occupies the rear, I believe this is used as an event space of some kind:

1651152821379.png

So this is one tiny yard.

The mature trees are actually in the lots further to the west, not the bookstore's lot.

The tree next door does not appear to be in good health, I'm not sure that the 4-storey building would make any material difference given that southern sun would still be available, but I can't see the tree close-up or its growing conditions.

1651153557917.png

This is the crown of the tree next door, I notice lots of die-back for a tree in August. It also appears to shed its leaves really quickly in fall.

Hmmm.

The proposal mentioned above was approved at the Commitee of Adjustment hearing on April 27, 2022:

Some pix of Kingston Road from Woodbine to Victoria Park. Trendy! Photos taken 8 April.

Thanks for sharing! Haven't strolled along Kingston Road between Main and Vic Park in years. Whenever the Big Carrot first opened, which was in 2018 I think? Anyway, I hope to visit the stretch soon.

Back