News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I talk about the weather quite a bit
with old folks in the USA.

I am not attempting to make this thread
look uninteresting but I have observed one
thing in my 67 years in southern Ontario.
I have never seen a day in all those years
where the weather forced me to stay indoors.

There was just some lightning outside with a loud clap of thunder. Woohoo! A visual start to the war of spring vs. winter.

Special weather statement
Issued by Environment Canada Ontario region. 4:42 PM EST Thursday
26 February 2009.

Special weather statement issued for..
City of Toronto

Rain tonight into Friday followed by a sharp temperature drop.

Rain will develop over southwestern Ontario early this evening.
The rain will then spread eastward to reach the Golden Horseshoe
before midnight and eastern Ontario by early Friday morning.
Rainfall amounts near 15 millimetres are forecast for most regions.
The rain could start as a brief period of snow or freezing rain over
areas from lake Simcoe through Haliburton and Bancroft to Ottawa.

In addition a few thunderstorms are expected over southwestern
Ontario late tonight or Friday morning.

A very sharp cold front will race across southern Ontario Friday
afternoon and across eastern Ontario in the early evening.
After reaching early afternoon highs of plus 5 to plus 10
temperatures will plummet to minus 5 to minus 10 behind the front.

Brisk winds to 70 km/h are also expected at times Friday.

Freezing rain and rainfall warnings are in effect for northern
portions of southern Ontario - near and north of a line from northern
Lake Huron to southern Georgian Bay to the upper Ottawa Valley.

Last edited:
Thanks for the weather report Khristopher.

I think I'm going to work from home.

Looks like near normal temps are predicted for the next 3 months:

sfe1t_s.gif

And also near normal precipitation:

sfe1p_s.gif

WOCN11 CWTO 012148
Special weather statement
Issued by Environment Canada Ontario region. 4:48 PM EST Sunday
1 March 2009.

Special weather statement issued for..
City of Toronto
City of Hamilton
Halton - Peel
York - Durham

A intense Arctic high over Northern Ontario will combine with low
pressure over the Atlantic seaboard to give a bitterly cold northerly
flow to southern Ontario.

Wind chill values of minus 25 to minus 29 are expected over most of
southwestern and southern Ontario late tonight into Monday. This is
just shy of the wind chill warning criteria of minus 30.
Over northern portions of southern Ontario wind chill values of
Minus 30 to minus 34 are expected - which is just shy of their more
rigid criteria of minus 35.

Bitterly cold conditions are also expected to affect the regions
Monday night into Tuesday morning - followed by a gradual moderating
trend.

Big Coastal Snowstorm - March 2nd,2009...

Everyone: We finally got a substantial snowstorm down here on the Atlantic Coast-LI got between 9 to 15 inches of snow depending on location as an example. It was the biggest one here since 2005 and remembering last Winter's storm tracks that were sparing us from any substantial snow-less then 10 inches for that entire 2007-2008 Winter season-but burying cities like Toronto and Cleveland in the eastern Great Lakes region repeatedly.

One thing I will mention about a later Winter season snowfall is that it will not last on the ground like it would in,say early January. The days are longer and the Sun is that much more stronger now that the even day lengths are fast approaching. Here on LI we had a overnight record low of 14 degrees F this morning-feeling even colder with the snowpack.

This snow may not be around very long,though-we may be heading for fifties F
with some rain by this weekend. Thankfully I have decent boots...
Insight by LI MIKE

March 2008 Comparisons...

Everyone: The storm of March 1-2 dumped more snow then NYC (Central Park)
received for the entire 2007-2008 Winter season as well as the current one up to March 1st.

Another thing a meterorologist mentioned (Lonnie Quinn on CBS2)was that
Central Park recorded NO snow and NO temperature below 40 Degrees F for the entire month of March 2008-a little trivia I did NOT know!

It is quite a bit different this time around-with record low temperatures recorded at Islip,LI on Monday and Tuesday nights-single digits F with that good sized snowpack making it feel perhaps even colder.

A substantial warm-up is forecasted for this weekend (March 7-8th) in which temperatures may reach 60 degrees F. The snow may not be around long...
LI MIKE

Record for March 6th smashed today

Weather record 'annihilated' by 17.9C high
LUCAS OLENIUK/TORONTO STAR

ONTARIO: SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
TORONTO WEATHER
Mar 06, 2009 03:53 PM

Precious Yutangco and Stacey Askew
Staff reporters

Toronto's temperature shattered a 1974 record of 15.4C when Pearson International Airport recorded a temperature of 17.9C at 3 p.m. today.

"We didn't break this record, we shattered it, annihilated it" said Environment Canada meteorologist Geoff Coulson.

At 6 a.m., the temperature at Pearson International Airport was already sitting at 11C. It continued to rise until about noon, when clouds covered the sun and pushed the temperature down. The sun then came back, causing the record breaking temperature.

"It leaves the old record in the dust," Coulson said. However, he cautioned this spurt of warmth, while it is likely to be followed by a few more comfortable days, doesn't mean winter is done.

"It does look like there's a bit of a way to go before we can actually say winter's over," he said.

Coulson added the official high could be higher as minute-by-minute results aren't available yet.

Although meteorologist David Rodgers considers this weather "a little bit out of the ordinary," he said he is not surprised because "anything can happen in March."

The warm spell is expected to stick around for the next few days.

"There are no sharp temperature drops coming," Rodgers said. "But by Thursday, we are looking at cooler temperatures with highs hovering around 0C."

With such warm spells, there are risks of thunderstorms, Rodgers said, but the GTA does not have to worry about that today.

Winds will be around 40 km/h, gusting up to 60 early in the day but will taper off in the evening and temperatures will dip to -1C.

Storm systems will be hanging over Windsor, where 10 to 15 millimetres of rain is expected to fall by tomorrow.

On Thursday, Environment Canada expected Sunday's highs to be in the double digits, as well. Those predictions have since changed.

"It's been a little difficult to figure out the weather in the longer range (recently)," Rodgers said.

But if history has anything to say about it, Rodgers says, "you just can't rule out a snow storm in March or April."

A slight upswing is expected on Wednesday, just before both the highs and lows start staying below 0C again.

The weekend is off to a good start.

Tomorrow is expected to start off sunny with a high of 8C and a low of -1C as clouds roll in and rain starts in the afternoon. Sunday will see a mix of sun and cloud with a 40 per cent chance of showers.

It was really quite amazing yesterday. I really hope we don't get anymore snowstorms. It might allow spring to actually start on time this year.

LOL, don't make me laugh! The first thing I learned when I came to Canada was that Spring only lasts 2 weeks!!

Its warm here in Pittsburgh, up to 70 yesterday, but chilling down back to the 50's and below with rain for today.

70 is about 20C I think...

^What? Man.....please do send that our way! and some sun too if you got it......this rain is horrendous.

Doplar Radar - Lastnights Storm

Doplar Radar from lastnights storm, it was brutal. The winds were howling and the house was shaking from the wind. Things were blown everywhere and there were some reported traffic lights out, but somehow my Internet Cable is underground, so I haven't lost my Internet Connection Yet.

st1u.jpg

st2u.jpg

Yes, send some this way - unfortunately I was not able to bring some back with me, customs confiscated it :eek:

This should be interesting, this is the first day back since last year.

Yes, send some this way - unfortunately I was not able to bring some back with me, customs confiscated it :eek:

This should be interesting, this is the first day back since last year.

Bastards stole my surplus rum last time. Grrrrr.

Interesting? Oh, damn.....good luck. ;)

Back