there are areas of toronto that are unsafe, that is for sure. but there are far fewer here and they are less dangerous, even if they still are dangerous.

Looking up at the competition!!!

kwcvr.jpg

Glass isn't necessary the problem IMO. It's too much bad architecture. The early products of the building boom (Water club, Infinity, and the dreck over at Fort York, etc.) are horrendous. Many have poorly executed podiums which result in lame street interaction, and ruin the aesthetic potential of the area. Those mistakes have caused a lot of missed opportunity along our waterfront.

Last edited:
I agree that it's hideous, but I actually think Infinity has some of the better street interaction along Bremner. It's got an acceptable bar, a couple fast food joints, and a Hasty Mart. There's a bit of variation to it, so that it's not total dullsville.

Glass isn't necessary the problem IMO. It's too much bad architecture. The early products of the building boom (Water club, Infinity, and the dreck over at Fort York, etc.) are horrendous. Many have poorly executed podiums which result in lame street interaction, and ruin the aesthetic potential of the area. Those mistakes have caused a lot of missed opportunity along our waterfront.

Agreed. West Harbour City is precast to achieve the stone-deco look but is just as horrid and sterile as the dated, green glass P+S designs.

It doesn't help much that a lot of the residential buildings built in the last twenty-five years between Bathurst and Yonge, south of the rail corridor, are joined twins, or near doubles.

twins.jpg

The red marks indicate buildings that are twins, or part of an closely identical set joined at the base.
I wish a number of the large lots that gave rise to this ponderous kind of form had been subdivided further, to encourage more economic and architectural variety, provide a more interesting skyline and streetwall, as well as be flexible to a finer grain of unpredictable uses.
Then again, it will be interesting to see how the area looks to people two hundred or three hundred years in the future - after the viscitudes of recladding, dilapidation, re-use, demolition, and who-knows-what-else have had their way.

Last edited:

Back