This site has been left barren for about half a year now. Hopefully we see movement, or receive clarity on what's happening soon. There's nothing worse than an empty, boarded up lot scarring the downtown urban fabric.

The delay could be for a number of practical reasons. For example, the geotechnical group may have had to drill more boreholes once the existing buildings were demolished in order to have better results for shoring and foundation or the construction lender may not be advancing funds until more deposits are put in to the developer's escrow account, such that these funds can be utilized as a sources of funds for the project. I think since the existing buildings were demolished, this building is going ahead, otherwise the lender against the land would not have approved this.

You could very well be right, design7. I recall that about two years ago when this project was selling, one of the realtors informed me that part of the building design hadn't received approval. However, that was two years ago so I doubt this would be one of the factors. Interestingly, the developer does describe the status of the building as being in the process of "construction".

I think you're correct in your conclusion that the building will move ahead as evidenced by the demolition of the existing building.

This site has been left barren for about half a year now. Hopefully we see movement, or receive clarity on what's happening soon. There's nothing worse than an empty, boarded up lot scarring the downtown urban fabric.

This was my concern too, hence, my line of question to the forum.

It would have been a remarkable gesture if they'd hired Frank to design it.

Yes, it would have been indeed; it would have been symbolic, and surely a beautiful design. However, after reading the article posted by junctionist, I was left with the impression that he was not only annoyed, but somewhat offended by people associating city locations and architectural projects to his name.

Crews are onsite today. They're sawing the road in front of 12 Degrees, and there is a tractor now inside the fenced area.

12j25.jpg

Sales and Construction Update

I design condo unis for developer's for a living. I bought a unit here a while back and called for an update. I was told excavation has commenced and will that further activity should be apparent by month's end.

Interestingly, I was looking to buy another unit here because I really love the design and location and I also feel that this building is priced very attractively relative to other central downtown buildings that are higher end in terms of finishes and i was told that I would have to wait. Apparently there is a waiting list for the last of the remaining inventory. Must be nice! I guess this building isn't exactly feeling that condo-bubble rumor!! Oh well. At least it makes me feel better about my instincts and about the unit I did manage to buy.

I design condo unis for developer's for a living. I bought a unit here a while back and called for an update. I was told excavation has commenced and will that further activity should be apparent by month's end.

Interestingly, I was looking to buy another unit here because I really love the design and location and I also feel that this building is priced very attractively relative to other central downtown buildings that are higher end in terms of finishes and i was told that I would have to wait. Apparently there is a waiting list for the last of the remaining inventory. Must be nice! I guess this building isn't exactly feeling that condo-bubble rumor!! Oh well. At least it makes me feel better about my instincts and about the unit I did manage to buy.

Congratulations on your purchase, I think you made a really good choice.

Unfortunately, after driving by the site today, I'm sad to report that the place looked like a ghost town. The most activity I've seen at this location was captured above in the photo by androiduk. Today, neither the set of vehicles, nor personnel, were anywhere in sight......:(

Getting Going

Congratulations on your purchase, I think you made a really good choice.

Unfortunately, after driving by the site today, I'm sad to report that the place looked like a ghost town. The most activity I've seen at this location was captured above in the photo by androiduk. Today, neither the set of vehicles, nor personnel, were anywhere in sight......:(

I did drive by on my way to work as well and i agree. That said, I know a guy who works for one of the excavation companies (they didn't win this particular job) and he told me that the contract had been awarded as well as the shoring contract. That means it is underway and consistent with the timeline that was represented to me by the builder. i can't wait for that pool with the heat these days!! Should be awesome.

I did drive by on my way to work as well and i agree. That said, I know a guy who works for one of the excavation companies (they didn't win this particular job) and he told me that the contract had been awarded as well as the shoring contract. That means it is underway and consistent with the timeline that was represented to me by the builder. i can't wait for that pool with the heat these days!! Should be awesome.

Well, on days like those we've been having of late, that roof top pool will indeed be awesome.

Your insider info is also encouraging. I am really looking forward to seeing this project come together. The style is an eye-catcher, and really adds another unique piece of character to a character-filled neighborhood.

Aug 1st: The vegetation is cleared out and the wooden fence is being replaced with a chain link one

7691794846_d2bf02d66f_b.jpg

Consturction Start

From this week's NRU:

"Construction has begun at the site of the future 12 Degrees condo at Beverley
Street just north of Queen West. Designed by Core Architects, the 11-storey
condo will feature three pieshaped four-storey chunks stacked on top of one another,
each turned off the axis by (you guessed it) 12 degrees."

IMO this is probably the nicest looking rendering and best new POTENTIAL building downtown from a design and lifestyle perspective. It is one of the only condos that I would consider living in. I am so pleased that it looks to be getting built. Let's hope that, unlike some others (did someone say M5V), it ends up more than loosely resembling its stunning renderings. One thing is certain though, that location is irreplaceable. Nothing else will ever get built that close to Queen on such a nice cross-street. I don't know how they got this thing zoned.

I agree. It's very nice. It was a little out of my price range for the unit I wanted, but I think anyone who bought here will be pleased. The showroom was very nice. I don't think we'll see any "cheapening" with this one. At least I hope not.

Back